Lt. Commander
I am confused.. I left STO when this game was still a fee based, cryptic owned game and borg invasion was going on.. Not to mention it was the time when the foundry was down all the time.. So I have been gone for quite some time now. I log back in today, as I found out the game is now free to play; but it tells me I need to reassign skills.. I don't remember what I had or should do.

I am a Rear Admiral Upperhalf, science officer, primarily using an admiral level Nebula class science vessel.

Please help.. I mean skill reassignment as in when you push the "U" button and hit the skill tab at the top.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Welcome back!

The bad news though is that you have to respec your character, basically re-choose all your Captain skills. This is because the Skill Trees have been changed since you've left.

The good news is that skills have been streamlined, especially regarding weapon-types, so that you should be able to equip different weapons on your ships without worrying about being efficient with each and every one.

Have fun!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't remember what my specs were like before and I don't know what to do now.. I need help optimizing my science vessel as a healer/ tank like before.. Hopefully the crafting system isn't too different, as I am going to MA to try it now.. Just going to ignore the reskill prompt until I get a satisfactory response..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Well I would suggest that you go into space and then use the skill filter to find out which Captain sill affects your abilities. It's on the Skills Window. You select a character from the first drop down, and then an ability from the second drop down. The skill(s) which affect that ability will be highlighted in a gold outline. That should get you focus on what skills you need to focus on.

Also a nifty skill planner.
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

In summary, they simplified the skills, instead of a skills effecting specified abilities. It's now about particular aspects of abilities. For example, Tyken's Rift. Before there were 3 skills which affected the ability directly. Now there are skills which affect the different effects, for Tyken's that would be amount or power drained, damage and attraction force. And the skills would affects those are Starship Flow Capacitors = Power Drain, Starship Particle Generators = Damage, and Starship Graviton Generators = Attraction force.

And the other big change if the amount of skill bonus per rank. 1-3 is +18%/rank, 4-6 is +10%/rank and 7-9 is +5%/rank. Rank3 and 6 are pretty obvious breakpoints.

And the other biggie is that you have to split you skills points between Space and Ground skills (roughly 80/20 but you have a lot of fudge room).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Well I would suggest that you go into space and then use the skill filter to find out which Captain sill affects your abilities. It's on the Skills Window. You select a character from the first drop down, and then an ability from the second drop down. The skill(s) which affect that ability will be highlighted in a gold outline. That should get you focus on what skills you need to focus on.

Also a nifty skill planner.
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

In summary, they simplified the skills, instead of a skills effecting specified abilities. It's now about particular aspects of abilities. For example, Tyken's Rift. Before there were 3 skills which affected the ability directly. Now there are skills which affect the different effects, for Tyken's that would be amount or power drained, damage and attraction force. And the skills would affects those are Starship Flow Capacitors = Power Drain, Starship Particle Generators = Damage, and Starship Graviton Generators = Attraction force.

And the other big change if the amount of skill bonus per rank. 1-3 is +18%/rank, 4-6 is +10%/rank and 7-9 is +5%/rank. Rank3 and 6 are pretty obvious breakpoints.

And the other biggie is that you have to split you skills points between Space and Ground skills (roughly 80/20 but you have a lot of fudge room).
On that website (tool/ skill planner) how do I find what my player abilities and ground abilities are?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voivre View Post
On that website (tool/ skill planner) how do I find what my player abilities and ground abilities are?
The Skill filter isn't on the STO Academy Skill Planner. It's on the Skills Window in the game. Hit 'K' in game go bring up the Skills Window.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
The Skill filter isn't on the STO Academy Skill Planner. It's on the Skills Window in the game. Hit 'K' in game go bring up the Skills Window.
It just tells me to reset skills, I don't have any listed.. Hence I made this thread hoping someone can give me an idea of what to do to make a healer/ tank science vessel..
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Here is currently what I have..

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...build=Voivre_0

I don't know what to set my skills as for this ship.. Advice PLEASE!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Well it seems like I missed out on the SKill Plannet. It's highlighting the skills which affect your selected/checked abilities. The skills which have a Star on the Upper right corner are the ones you'll want to focus on.

Some other non-essential but nice to have stills would be Driver Coils. It increases Warp speed. The MACO and Borg engones can go at Warp 18 and 20 respectively) It's also nice at sublight. It increases Enginer Power at Full Impulse (more speed) and it reduced the amount of power drained from your other systems (down to 30 power instead of 5).

Startship Shield Systems increases the capacity of your shields. Starship Integritu increaes your ships hull. Weapon Procificeny, PS Generator, and Combat Armor improves your weapon damage, personal shield and Personal Armor respectively. Starship Maneuvers and Starship Targeting Systems increase the Defense and Accuary of your ship in combat. The starship power stills are more or less the same from before.

And the big thing is that you don't need to goto Rank 9 unless you want to. Rank 3 gives +54% and Rank 6 gives +84% in skill bonus. And those are the points for enable the skills your Train Boffs with.. If you really rank Rank 9 it will give your +99% in skill bonus.