Lt. Commander
So Im wondering what people think about the 3 science teams and how many copies you should take.
Ive maxed out shield emitters.

Science Team I heals me 2018
Science Team II heals me 2691

Ive am using the Voyager Retrofit, so plenty of science slots. I just finished the Undine and I want to start STF and PvP. The jump from Science Team I to II seems minor, and havent really needed both at the same time yet. I still have Reverse Shield Polarity, EPtS, HE and about 4 +resistance abilities, not to mention the Ablative armour.
Do you think I need 2 copies? And if so, which copies? Both rank I and that way I can use more offensive abilities? Or the higher the better?

Im also curious as to what Science Team III heals. Im guessing about 3400?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus
So Im wondering what people think about the 3 science teams and how many copies you should take.

Ive am using the Voyager Retrofit, so plenty of science slots. I just finished the Undine and I want to start STF and PvP. The jump from Science Team I to II seems minor, and havent really needed both at the same time yet. I still have Reverse Shield Polarity, EPtS, HE and about 4 +resistance abilities, not to mention the Ablative armour.
Do you think I need 2 copies? And if so, which copies? Both rank I and that way I can use more offensive abilities? Or the higher the better?

I never use Science Team as a heal, at all. Transfer Shields does a much better job.

The only instance of it I use is Science Team 1, to clear debuffs like Subnucleonic Beam. Any more than that, and I begin interfering with the other "team" abilities of Engineering and Tactical.

...And I certainly don't take any more than one version of it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I never use Science Team as a heal, at all. Transfer Shields does a much better job.

The only instance of it I use is Science Team 1, to clear debuffs like Subnucleonic Beam. Any more than that, and I begin interfering with the other "team" abilities of Engineering and Tactical.

...And I certainly don't take any more than one version of it.
This is the same for me. ST is really only useful as a debuffer, and 1 works as well as 3 for that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:

You are on the right track here already for PvP and to a lesser extent STFs if you are focusing on +resistance ablities. Sci team in PvP is crucial to counter subnucleonic beam (SNB) and other Sci debuffs. In this case higher versions get you nothing. HE is crucial in STFs for clearing the borg debuffs.

Remember when chaining defensive abilities to pop the +resistance ones before Sci team if you do need to use it for shields.

Sort of off topic, IMO the best shield heal going right now is 3 Brace for Impact shield Doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Brace For Impact eh? Ill look into those guys.

And how much does Transfer Shield heal at I and II?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.stowiki.org/Ability:_Tran...hield_Strength

That has a list of all three versions. III can be trained to a BO by a Science Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I dont trust the wiki.
Going by those numbers I get healed 400+ 114*15 = 2110 at Transfer Shields II
This is barely more than Science Team I and over 15 seconds. If Transfer Shields is as good as some people are saying, Im assuming ir has to be atleast 1000 instant + maybe 400 per second over 15 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:
I dont trust the wiki.
Going by those numbers I get healed 400+ 114*15 = 2110 at Transfer Shields II
This is barely more than Science Team I and over 15 seconds. If Transfer Shields is as good as some people are saying, Im assuming ir has to be atleast 1000 instant + maybe 400 per second over 15 seconds.
The wiki is accurate, but you aren't accounting for several considerations.

1) Transfer Shields is made more effective by Auxilliary Power. Use Aux batteries.
2) Transfer Shields gives you a shield resistance which Science Team does not
3) A Heal-over-Time is arguable more useful than a once-off, as it offsets damage over time as well.
4) Chain your abilities! Transfer shields only applies heals to facings that are damage. Combine it with Distribute Shields and Emergency Power to Shields and you can easily go from having none to full again almost instantly.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Also, Science Team shares a cooldown with Tactical team, which is a far more useful (life saving) skill.

For STF's you don't need Science team at all since the Borg don't have any attacks that Sci team can counter. The only time you might need it in PVE is when you are up against enemies that use Jam sensors or Subnucleonic beam, since Sci team is the only thing that removes those.

PVP is a different story.