Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Today I made a realization about the number 5, and Cryptic. You see, I spent 5 happy years with City of Heroes and Villains, a Superhero MMO created by Cryptic, based solely on the entertaining combat and class/power matrix those games offered.

I also figured out the importance and the role of the number 5 in Cryptics' current plans for STO. So here's your mission Cryptic... entertain us for more than 5 years... not just with content but also gameplay because I have to say that in CoH/V and CO there is a sense of excitement rolling a new character with power-sets you've never tried before, or never combined before. In STO however, I've never had this sense of 'Awesome'.

Do you think Cryptic that you can bring STOs' gameplay to the same level of excitement to be found in your previously made games?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Today I made a realization about the number 5, and Cryptic. You see, I spent 5 happy years with City of Heroes and Villains, a Superhero MMO created by Cryptic, based solely on the entertaining combat and class/power matrix those games offered.

I also figured out the importance and the role of the number 5 in Cryptics' current plans for STO. So here's your mission Cryptic... entertain us for more than 5 years... not just with content but also gameplay because I have to say that in CoH/V and CO there is a sense of excitement rolling a new character with power-sets you've never tried before, or never combined before. In STO however, I've never had this sense of 'Awesome'.

Do you think Cryptic that you can bring STOs' gameplay to the same level of excitement to be found in your previously made games?
Although I have faith in some of their employees, Cryptic iteself will unlikely make STO close to what it deserves in the end.

2 cents
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
They can go one of two ways with this.

Both require heaps of content - no argument there.

Option a) Lots of new classes to play, civilians, traders, SCE, diplomat and so on - that could be awesome and give that 'new power set' ideal

Option b) push hard with the Feature Episodes, make us feel the universe is really evolving with us and moving on and upwards. This is what will keep us hooked on just a single character.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
You left out option C - More and more C-Store and Lockbox content, and the occasional system advancement and mission (about 10 per year).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
You left out option C - More and more C-Store and Lockbox content, and the occasional system advancement and mission (about 10 per year).
10? you're dreaming
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
10? you're dreaming
i think he means missions, each FE is about 5 missions, so that would be about what they can do, according to the last EP at least, we will see what Dan says. Something tells me thou we will be getting 2 and no more than 2
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I was going with 10 and thinking that they all don't have to be FE missions, but 10 would be the benchmark. Any less and things get even more surly around here. Any more and hey, that's progress?

Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 05:42 PM
So far I don't see much optimism in here... I'm hoping dStahl has some tricks up his sleeves but perhaps STAR TREK as a franchise just doesn't lend itself towards fascinating gameplay the kind of which MMO's usually go for?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I dont think that more content is the true answere for any game that has bin come out lately i feel that games like STO and TOR need to have more sand box game play to them.Some player can roll alt after alt and have fun in most mmo's today but there are some player like me who dont roll alts and play one toon and grow with that toon.So with more sand box game play add to the game it gives high lvl players who dont roll alts or get tired of grinding the same raids over and over agin more to do.I feel that STO is going down the right path but i would like to have the devs let go of my hand and let me play the game the way i would like to play.And it is not just about pvp it is about a balance between pvp,pve,crafting,resource gathering and with STO ship magement.I would like to see ships decay in time then be recyceled for its resources.I would like to use my DOFF"S for repair crews instead of haveing repair kits.I think in time starbase's and outpost aswell as coloines on planets were mining can be done and player made ship could be bought and sold.Would add the need deoth of game play that would carry sto on for a long time.A good risk and reward game could make the game feel more real STAR TREK than any content/mission you could send me as a player out on.After awhile no matter how many FE you make you will lost players if you dont let player make there own mark in the game.Let them say this is my house or planet or ship building complexes.Give them the chance to say i built that fleet of ships with my oun hands and you will keep players coming back for year after year.Look at games like EVE and SWG they may lack story content but what was the most thing you here about them is that player could make a lasting FOOTPRINT in those games.And thats what players miss the most about them.I have played both of them and though EVE's risk was not to my liking i was most impressed by what player built in that game.I would more than likly would have stay in SWG longer if they did not take out some of the sand box game play that i loved in that game.I am not saying that content is not important what i am saying is that let me as a player make my oun FOOTPRINT is just as important as content.And thats whats going to keep me playing STO for a very long time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicktoreBeskor View Post
I don't think that more content is the true answer for any game that has come out lately I feel that games like STO and TOR need to have more sand box game play to them

.Some player can roll alt after alt and have fun in most mmo's today but there are some player like me who don't roll alts and play one toon and grow with that toon.So with more sand box game play add to the game it gives high lvl players who don't roll alts or get tired of grinding the same raids over and over again more to do.I feel that STO is going down the right path but i would like to have the devs let go of my hand and let me play the game the way i would like to play.And it is not just about pvp it is about a balance between pvp,pve,crafting,resource gathering and with STO ship management.

I would like to see ships decay in time then be recycled for its resources.I would like to use my DOFF"S for repair crews instead of having repair kits.I think in time starbases and outpost as well as colonies on planets were mining can be done and player made ship could be bought and sold.Would add the need depth of game play that would carry STO on for a long time.
A good risk and reward game could make the game feel more real STAR TREK than any content/mission you could send me as a player out on.After awhile no matter how many FE you make you will lost players if you don't let player make there own mark in the game.

Let them say this is my house or planet or ship building complexes.Give them the chance to say i built that fleet of ships with my own hands and you will keep players coming back for year after year.
Look at games like EVE and SWG they may lack story content but what was the most thing you here about them is that player could make a lasting FOOTPRINT in those games.And that's what players miss the most about them.

I have played both of them and though EVE's risk was not to my liking i was most impressed by what player built in that game.I would more than likely would have stay in SWG longer if they did not take out some of the sand box game play that i loved in that game.I am not saying that content is not important what i am saying is that let me as a player make my own FOOTPRINT is just as important as content.And that's whats going to keep me playing STO for a very long time.
Sorry,had to fix that up a bit to make it a bit more readable.