Lt. Commander
So I was switching between the games WoW and STO - and something very fundamental was different - and then I realized - it was collisions between players, other players, and NPCs.

STO has collisions, so you have to go around other players and so that NPCs that are with you have to figure their way around each other and everybody else.

WoW - does it differently. You don't collide with other players, you don't collide with monsters.

. . . and people are perfectly happy with it that way. Unrealistic? Yeah. But it's probably a lot easier on the AI code and players don't really seem to mind it.

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
People who play WoW dont seem to mind a LOT of stuff...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I am in the exact opposite camp.
I feel that not only should the engine detect collisions, but COLLISIONS SHOULD CAUSE DAMAGE to your ship and to the other ship (if applicable).

If I fly my ship full steam into a giant space rock, I shouldn't have a ship anymore!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen.Montgomery View Post
I feel that not only should the engine detect collisions, but COLLISIONS SHOULD CAUSE DAMAGE to your ship and to the other ship (if applicable).

If I fly my ship full steam into a giant space rock, I shouldn't have a ship anymore!
i totally agree!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraA1 View Post
So I was switching between the games WoW and STO - and something very fundamental was different - and then I realized - it was collisions between players, other players, and NPCs.

STO has collisions, so you have to go around other players and so that NPCs that are with you have to figure their way around each other and everybody else.

WoW - does it differently. You don't collide with other players, you don't collide with monsters.

. . . and people are perfectly happy with it that way. Unrealistic? Yeah. But it's probably a lot easier on the AI code and players don't really seem to mind it.

Just a thought.
I hate walking through other players. It's silly and definitely does not add to realism and immersion. I do not see a reason to have players walk through each other in a game made post 2000. In WoW they had to do this because jersk would have blocked off entire sections of cities or people would have accidentally blocked off vendors and merchants. In an instanced game you can get around this if it occurs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:

Signed .
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
THIS lol
They had it in the original SFC lol it was great fun tractoring enemy ships into asteroids.
BUT I can see why they did this.
Cause of the lack of any kind of meaningful death penalty, you could just play by going full impulse and ramming your ship into a cluster of enemies. The initial crash damage added to the explosion damage would likely kill everyone around you. There would be almost no reason to equip weapons
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:

i would hope my super fancy starship would be smart enough to not let me crash it. I'm often not looking where i'm going since i'm looking at things i'm shooting so...

i just assume i didn't hit the rock, my ship stopped itself just before impact, like a good futuristic space ship should.

heck, my friends car stops him from backing up into things and he doesn't even live in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:

I disagree with the OP entirely as well. As someone else mentioned, collision detection is turned off in most MMOs because it avoids problems with griefing or simple lack of courtesy where people could block doorways, narrow passages, acess to NPCs, etc. by getting in the way, intentionally or not. People learn to ignore it, but it is unrealistic and annoying in many ways.

On the other hand, I can't agree with this entirely either. I much prefer objects having collision dectection, and it makes sense that a ship flying into an asteroid should damage. On the other hand, ships in Star Trek had sophisticated computer systems and sensors to detect and predict headings which would result in a collision, and would issue a warning ahead of time. Additionally, the Captain sits in a chair and gives orders to a bridge full of people. He doesn't manually steer the ship, target enemies, fire the weapons, adjust the shields, manipulate consoles to disable enemy ship functions, and so forth. No, he has Gwen sitting at the comm console saying, "The enemy is matching velocity," even though the computer just said it, and Guy sitting at the tracking console saying, "Hey guys, there's a red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy ... I think we're the green-thingy." Err ... I mean he has people for that.

So while it would make sense to have collision damage, I don't think it is realisitic to impose that mechanic in a game where none of the resources a real captain would have at his disposal are at ours.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
You could easily have collisions on ground with an avoidance system where players move around each other on their own with, say, a hand to the shoulder or back as they pass by the other. And if someone's blocking the door, that character would move him/herself courteously whether the allied player controlling the blocking character likes it or not. Easy. Passing through each other looks stupid and lessens everything about STO. The only way you can justify it is if there's some time-travel element introduced and various time-lines are out-of-phase with each other, or something. They need to go back to the prior system with improvements.

And get rid of re-spawn for one whole category of instances.

There's also nothing stopping you from having five people run your ship. One controlling the view screen (that could be you, the captain). One flying the ship (con). One firing weapons (tac). One managing the shields & power distribution (engineering). And one activating skills (ops). You'd just need a couple extra keyboards, mice, and/or controllers. And maybe an extra screen for the pilot. There is so little strategy, necessary right now, though, that everything except view control, piloting, and certain special skills can be done with a key-mashing macro.

It would be nice to have the ability to do multiplayer division of labor for space battles on a single ship. Up to five categories of control. Assign each person one or more categories of controls at their disposal. If the space battles are ever improved dramatically, that might actually become a useful method.