Lt. Commander
# 1 New Player Beaming UP!
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Mardoqueo here, call me Queo. So i am noob just started playing about 3-4 days ago. Any help or hints you wish to share would be AWESOME right now.

While im not new to this game im not new to the online gaming, PC gaming i started way back with SC 1 (SCII didn't impress me like I), then i used to play MMORPGS like Rappelz and Akia (played more but those were my big 2) and of course RPG like Elderscrolls, fable and Zelda. While RPGs seem to dominate my playing time i actually prefer RTS, Civ, Age of Empires, and GO II.

Normally i spend days poring over forums and reading and the tuts. but my new work sced. prevents that now. im working 6 days a week 12 hours a day. So forgive me if in game you see me asking stupid noob questions.

Speaking of, as a new player what C-mall items are the most useful? Also and must reads??

Thanks for your time hope to game with you soon!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Hello there - just relax and play through the episode missions. You'll get the hang of STO and develop your playing style soon enough.

If you need help just ask anything on the Zone chat (that will send text message to all players in the same sector). Earth spacedock is the best place for asking queries.

If you need a list of experienced people to help you with orientation in-game, send me a PM or something. Or contact me at @carmenara
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queo1
Hi Mardoqueo here, call me Queo. So i am noob just started playing about 3-4 days ago. Any help or hints you wish to share would be AWESOME right now.

While im not new to this game im not new to the online gaming, PC gaming i started way back with SC 1 (SCII didn't impress me like I), then i used to play MMORPGS like Rappelz and Akia (played more but those were my big 2) and of course RPG like Elderscrolls, fable and Zelda. While RPGs seem to dominate my playing time i actually prefer RTS, Civ, Age of Empires, and GO II.

Normally i spend days poring over forums and reading and the tuts. but my new work sced. prevents that now. im working 6 days a week 12 hours a day. So forgive me if in game you see me asking stupid noob questions.

Speaking of, as a new player what C-mall items are the most useful? Also and must reads??

Aloha and welcome

Although expensive, I like the ships...without purchasing the various ships you have a very limited inventory to work from. They are still building the C-Store so there isn't a large inventory to view. I personally like the Skill Point bonus because it actually helps...speeds up advancements a little.

If you are collecting a lot of lock boxes (many don't like the idea) but the master keys open them up. One (Very Very RARE) option is getting a Cardassian Galor Ship and is the only way to get one at the moment.

I wouldn't spend on uniform batches, but if that is your thing..look for the specific outfit you like and just get that because batches include a lot of junk with just the one cool outfit you were wanting.

No consoles, consumables, or ship equipment....maybe in the future. Best bet is the exchange you can do searches and sometimes find good deals for what you want.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
No consoles, consumables, or ship equipment....maybe in the future. Best bet is the exchange you can do searches and sometimes find good deals for what you want.
He can use the D-store to get consoles and such but IMO not worth it at starting levels. Exchange is the best bet for superior custom ship equipment.

Oh, and -do not- do any dilthium purchases at the starting levels. Don't waste money on XP boosts and other new player packs too, because very soon you'll be totally spammed in uncommon and rare items when you pass level 15 or so when the pace of missions really pick up and you get bigger ships to better destroy the enemy with.

Having a dilithium hoard means more fun trust me. Because you can use them to convert to c points.

As for costumes, suggest just stick to the free uniforms, they can be made to look awesome enough if you play with the colour (I dig the Stargate SG-1 look of a black or dark green nomex suit).

If you really need to buy a dress, well, maybe save it for when you're doing social RP or something, the costumes have absolutely no purpose at all when you're busy dogfighting Klingon birds of prey
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queo1

Welcome to STO and hope you have fun in the game, feel free to ask questions to any number of experianced players if you need clarification on parts of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I am fairly new as well, been playing for a few weeks now but I can tell you that it's not hard to find your way around. Most other (more experienced) players I have encountered are willing to help out during game play as well.
As far as c-items go, don't bother getting any of the pets unless you just want a little extra something to show off. They don't do anything other than follow you around. I really wish the sehlat could be a battle pet though.
As a personal opinion, the Caitain bridge officer I bought is my favorite.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazeffect
I am fairly new as well, been playing for a few weeks now but I can tell you that it's not hard to find your way around. Most other (more experienced) players I have encountered are willing to help out during game play as well.
As far as c-items go, don't bother getting any of the pets unless you just want a little extra something to show off. They don't do anything other than follow you around. I really wish the sehlat could be a battle pet though.
As a personal opinion, the Caitain bridge officer I bought is my favorite.
Welcome to you as well :3

I'm wondering at the questionable utility of pets too, especially the shuttles. If they're not used in combat then what use are they?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Great thanks for the heads up! This game pretty fun and easer then it looks to get going. Had a free day from work and was able to sit down and play with some of the features. Although ill admit the HUD and what not feels pretty rough a lot "hunting" to find stuff. Has this game been around for a while? Yeah I bought the ds9 pack and 1 duty officer pack. Other then that the only thing I can see worth spending money on is the keys. Hopefully the costumes and pets will add stats to your characters soon other then that I wont be spending too much on them lol. Again thanks for the tips!