Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
The definition of likeness rights vary from state to state and from country to country. It's a legal battle best left alone, unless you have clear permission from whomever will fight against you (such as direct decedents or a personal estate) or the person has been deceased for a long time. For example, I think by law in California you retain personality right for 70 years after death, not sure about other states.
Ahh, I dont know how it all works as its completely different in the UK. I wasnt suggesting they do it without permission, they could seek permission from Majels family. I think it would be a really nice touch for the fans and something to honor such an important lady in our beloved franchise!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
it wouldnt be too bad, Eugene Roddenberry is the only known direct child between both Majel and Gene, whats more Eugene was involved in TNG and other smaller trek works. if Cryptic had a good case for adding Majel's voice to the game and that it reflects Star Trek francise and CBS quite nicely, it may even convince Eugene to allow Majel's likeness to be added.

When it comes to the idea of adding more sectors to expand the Gamma quadrant on this game, will Nimoy provide his likeness once again?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Majel was in my opinion the Empress of the ST universe.

HHhhmmm that got me thinking, what would Luxwanna Troi be like in the Mirror Universe.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanNewBoy View Post
Majel was in my opinion the Empress of the ST universe.

HHhhmmm that got me thinking, what would Luxwanna Troi be like in the Mirror Universe.
Well clearly she would be High Empress Lwaxana, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, and Wielder of the Holy Rings of Betazed.

Saying that.... Whats the life span for a Betazoid? Could Lwaxana still be alive in 2409?!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
Well clearly she would be High Empress Lwaxana, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, and Wielder of the Holy Rings of Betazed.

Saying that.... Whats the life span for a Betazoid? Could Lwaxana still be alive in 2409?!
And would she still be in phase?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Dear Majel,

I will forever know you as Luwoxana Troi. And forever will I be grateful for the comedy you instilled upon the series. I hope that, where ever you are, that you and Gene are planning the next set of Star Trek adventures with Q and the rest of the continuum.

Thank you.

-Los
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I loved the guest appearance by Majel on Babylon 5 as Emperor Turhan's Seeress wife. One of the outtakes was her walking face first into a doorway. You coudl hear the crew gasp, only to have her turn to them, smiling and say, "Guys, I'm used to it." :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I remember meeting her some years ago, had a good conversation.

Happy birthday Number One !
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Lovely Woman...

Lovingly Missed...

May She smile down on all of us, for as long as Trek lives in our hearts...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Majel Barret-Roddneberry...

You truly are missed, but your characters live on in our imaginations.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
But i thought likeness rights didnt apply when the person in question was deceased? Im not suggesting you do it without permission, just thought it would be nice to look into. Could you pass along the suggestion?

Thank you
I think in California, those rights still apply. That said, it may be easier to buy/license/negotiate for a deceased person's likeness because the competing offers aren't rolling in.

Shatner would be difficult because WoW might offer him a ton of money to endorse their game. Doohan's estate, on the other hand, has fewer competing offers and may settle for less, particularly if the use is seen as a tribute to a beloved family member or something that actually elevates Doohan's profile back up in a way that could lead to other deals.