Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Sizing
02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
I figure this might be my one nitpicking thing but it also seems pretty easy to fix. While the ship art on this game is the best out there and astounding, there are issues with how relative sizing works. For example a runabout is shown as about half the size of a Miranda which has a full sized saucer and much larger crew. The Klingon carrier, while almost accurately showing relative size to fighters, does not demonstrate it with bops.

I think the star cruiser is the most blatant and really needs adjusting. I've seen the graphic that has all the ships ingame next to each other. Could the art department take a quick pass at relative sizing to make sure all the ships fit?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I think shuttles (like the runabout) are intentionally out of scale. The idea is if they were to scale they'd be to small to see (and target). So all shuttles are made much larger than they should be.

Most of the other ships are supposed to be to scale with one another. To within the limits of determining scale when the source material is as inconstant about it as Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
I think shuttles (like the runabout) are intentionally out of scale. The idea is if they were to scale they'd be to small to see (and target). So all shuttles are made much larger than they should be.

Most of the other ships are supposed to be to scale with one another. To within the limits of determining scale when the source material is as inconstant about it as Star Trek.
Excellent answer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Most of the ships in-game actually are to scale with one another. The only exceptions are small craft (because they'd then be too hard to see, and that would be a pain), and the Defiant class ships and variants (because this is actually canon).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Take a look at a shuttle in any of the TV shows. The prop shuttles were slightly taller than a 6 foot man. Many scenes the pilot had to duck slightly moving around inside.

Now take a look at the windows on the outside of your ship. Most windows on the TV shows began at the actor's waist and stretched higher than their head so you could imagine if Janeway hopped up on the ledge of her window, it might be her height or slightly shorter.

In any case, the shuttle should be similar size in height to a typical window on the side of your ship making it 2 pixels tall and several more longer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
Take a look at a shuttle in any of the TV shows. The prop shuttles were slightly taller than a 6 foot man. Many scenes the pilot had to duck slightly moving around inside.

Now take a look at the windows on the outside of your ship. Most windows on the TV shows began at the actor's waist and stretched higher than their head so you could imagine if Janeway hopped up on the ledge of her window, it might be her height or slightly shorter.

In any case, the shuttle should be similar size in height to a typical window on the side of your ship making it 2 pixels tall and several more longer.
I think they actually got the Type-8 shuttle close enough to right while still being large enough to target.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post

as said before. Shuttles are bigger so people can Actually see them, whats the point in making shuttles cool looking if they arent more than a small dot on the screen when your fully zoomed in?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
as said before. Shuttles are bigger so people can Actually see them, whats the point in making shuttles cool looking if they arent more than a small dot on the screen when your fully zoomed in?
Oh I agree. I'm glad they aren't specs on my screen. I was just trying to explain why in laymen terms

It is comical to spawn my shuttle and then compare it to my shuttlebay door on the ship. How the heck did it fit in there?!?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Spawning a paragrin is even stranger since its even bigger then a runabout. The only ship that I've seen where shuttles really look in scale is the 1000+m long odyssey. Which would put my danube runabout at about 50m cough*scale*cough.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
There is an excellent post, stickied to the top of the Federation Shipyards section, that displays exactly how the ships in the game are scaled.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=219383

Given unlimited resources, and complete control of STO, I'd like to see the shuttles shrunk some with an optional UI element to highlight them. The UI element might function like the shield ring and could help us to distinguish where PC and NPC small craft are.

In reality, this would not be playable for many players as I am discovering while trying to teach my gf how to play STo. She is an experienced video gamer, but lacks the spacial understanding (and easily gets sea sick) required to navigate in space. Decreasing small craft size would only make things worse for many players.