Lt. Commander
Ok, the Foundry IS limited when it comes to tokens, especially because there is no [check] for the PCs gender/race/etc, xcept for rank&name. Not to mention the BOs...

Since I am no native English speaker, no Navy buff and only a part-time Trekkie I have several questions regarding proper adressing.

1. Should a starship captain - as long as he is aboard his ship - always be adressed as "captain" no matter what his actual rank is? By his crew as well as others? Does this change when a conversation is off-ship, p.e. on ESD or SA?

2. It is OK to adress a female starfleet PC as "Sir" or does it has to be "Madam"? (which makes the use of either impossible)

3. The only way to circumvent the naming of BOs Ifound, is to adress them as "chief" or give them nicknames. Is it common to adress the department heads as "chief"? Does a position called "transporter chief " exist?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2012, 08:55 AM
With regards to your first question, you don't need to always use the words Captain or Admiral, sir is sufficient for most dialogue. Captain, etc is more of a formal title and is used during deep conversation.

The second question is yes, you can call a female captain or admiral, sir. Madam can also suffice, depending on the type of character your portraying. Some female officers hate the word sir, many female officers in trek, including Janeway hated being called sir.

Transporter Chiefs or Chief Engineers can just be called Chief, look at Miles O'Brien he was called Chief a lot during his time on Enterprise-D and Deep Space Nine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
"Captain" and "sir" are acceptable defaults when in doubt. There is a [Rank] delimiter if you want it, but even the episodes and other "official" things use "Captain" regardless.

Department heads don't really have nicknames. If we had the medical chief you could use the address of "Doctor," of course. I don't recall if we have a designator for the First Officer, for whom the nickname "Number One" has become standard (thanks to Pike and Picard).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
As far as addressing Boffs, if you look in the Foundry they have the ability for you, the author to pick the type of Boff that give the Dialogue (IE Engineering, Science or Tactical); so when I've written for teh Captain to adress a Doff, I usually make it in line with the Doff type I'll have responding (IE in the stuff I've done, I've refered to Engineering Doffs as "Helsman", "Con" or Engineering Officer", Tactical as 'Security', Science as 'Science Officer', etc.

The trick is to be consistent in that if you have need for a Helm officer in your story or situation; as long as you pick the same Doff type to reply, the game will usually have the highest ranking (in game) type of Doff who's sloted in a Boff station on your ship respond. So, as long as you're cionsistent in who you write and refer to a Boff type, to the player running the mission, that one Doff will always appear to be fefered to cionsistently.

As for gender, TNG made it easy as they refer to ANY officer as 'sir' (yes, they've slipped up a couple of times, but in canon, it is generally the case that female officers are refered to as 'sir' as well in the line of duty.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the input
I think I have a clear picture now, how to adress in missions.

The only detail I am still unsure of, is:

If a starship captain has a lower or higher rank, is he still adressed as captain? I was under the impression, that at least when he's NOT aboard his ship, he is adressed by his rank, rather than his command.

Imo a proper introduction should be (p.e.): "This is Commander LaFleur, Captain of the U.S.S. Edmonton"
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
The way I've been doing it is by having the player referred to as Captain by his/her crew, and by [Rank] to everyone else.

However, I'm thinking of just changing it so the player is treated as a Captain rank in my missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
As a personal preference I prefer "sir" or [Rank], no matter the gender. Being called captain when I'm a lieutenant or Vice Admiral never made much sense to me, but I can understand the rationale.