Lt. Commander
I would like to preface this by saying I always try to get the optional done in STFs, I'm pretty rarely in groups that fail the optionals, and that my experience is completely exclusive to Normals, not Elites.

I am curious why people think optionals are such a big deal. I've seen people bail out on a group the instant an optional is failed, and others calling people "loosers" (the irony was probably lost on them). There's almost always someone who gets upset in the group when the optional is failed.

Really, though... I've only been doing STFs since the game went F2P, and at this point, Rare Borg Salvage doesn't do a whole lot for me. I've got Mk XI [Borg] weapons for my ship, my character and ship are right now made up of a mix between Mk X and Mk XI set items (Omega Force on ground, MACO on my ship). I also don't really need more Energy Credits... I get plenty from selling Mystery Boxes on the Exchange, and doing the Tour the Universe every once in a while.

I've seen forum posts about "stupid noobs who can't do optionals on Normal", the aforementioned bailers and name-callers... but in my experience, the only thing really worth getting from STFs are the EDCs and a chance at the Common or Rare Borg Tech, which come from your bag at the end of the mission. Like I said, I've been doing the STFs casually for a bit over a month now, and the Rare Borg Salvage is pretty much just Dilithium to me. So why are people treating optionals like such a big deal?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I think people really just want that extra loot, salvage, and EDC if it drops. I always try to make sure to get the optional, but if it doesn't work out, it's no big deal. I think an accolade is also tied to completing optionals, so that could be another reason.

Bailing because the group failed an optional is just damn childish...and stupid since you lose out on the loot at the end. And there's also the penalty. "Oh wow, trying to get back at that dumb group who failed the optional really worked out for you didn't it?"
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Because a lot of people do not stop to smell the roses.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I get irritated when groups fail the optionals (except infected ground, I'll give a pass on that) since they are not that hard and a shot at extra loot.

When the optional occasionally fails due to the extreme ineptitude of my teammates, its a facepalm "come on guys, really?" moment but I move on. I would never be so silly as to ragequit an STF over it, or hurl insults at people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
The optionals do not worry me if done or not to be honest as you only need it once to get the accolade. The fact that the optional loot only ever goes to one person out of the team is quite disheartening and really does nothing to encourage me to make a big effort to finish it. Slightly resentful here as I rarely get any of the optional loot at all.

Most teams I am on get the optional simply because it is a time based thing and put simply i want to finish and be able to do other stuff in between doing stf's and so am encouraged to work hard to kill stuff quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
well i dont care about the optionals when they are in Cure or KA but in Infected space I preffer the optionals because I dont want to spend an hour killing borg spheres because of one idiot who didnt listen. also its the easiest STF out there so why wouldnt you wanna grab the extra loot.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImminentStorm View Post
I get irritated when groups fail the optionals (except infected ground, I'll give a pass on that) since they are not that hard and a shot at extra loot.

When the optional occasionally fails due to the extreme ineptitude of my teammates, its a facepalm "come on guys, really?" moment but I move on. I would never be so silly as to ragequit an STF over it, or hurl insults at people.
Ummmm this is just a game for fun i think some one needs a chill pill
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Every extra shot at loot is good. My only complaint about them is by their nature, two people can do all the work getting the optional, and by sheer luck of the dice roll, the three freeloaders who did nothing but screw around can leave with all the extra loot.

It's not worth getting upset over failing, though. So what if you fail? You still get your loot bag and at least an EDC at the end. No use crying over it or yelling at others.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I guess because people want that shiny title for archieving all the Elite optionals.
Furthermore, doing it the optional way is usually the fastest way to complete the STF in question.

I don't really care for the optionals, as I already have the title, soo No rage quitting because of that alone from me (didin't do it before either) - Should a pug prove incompetent enough to **** me off I will leave though. (Not repairing ships is one of these things that **** me off enough to ragequit )
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I only found the optionals a big deal when I went for the accolades, but I did it with my fleet so I did not get mad. Every since the first day the new STF's were out and I got them all done on the normal difficulty I stoped carring about doing them I just like to get my 480 Dilithium and EDC.