Lt. Commander
I'd like to pick up a battle pet. At the moment the only ones available that I am aware of (or at least, are on the Exchange) are Hortas. Which one (acid or crystal) is generally more useful, and why?

I'm not expecting a huge amount of help from the little guy, but I do like the idea of a little boost. This is especially helpful as I may be trying out a tac officer, and I'm used to building turrets on my Engineer, so having a buddy to jump in and help out (and draw fire) at times would be great. That said, I'm not married to the idea that it'd tank for me, so if it'd be better to get the acid horta for increased damage, rather than the tougher crystal horta, I'm all for it! I just want to know which one is overall more effective, especially as what little I've seen on the subject seems to suggest an unimpressive DPS on any horta, but possibly decent staying power.

Also note that I know this may not be the wisest thing to do tactically - I have my own reasons for doing this partially related to potential RP.

Thanks for any help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 04:24 AM
Get them from the exchange in boxes, you can sell them later, set your character with the boxes up for tribble. Go to tribble and test them each. Once you get back to standard server sell the one you dont want.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
This is actually a great idea. I'm surprised I didn't think of that.

Thank you!

As an aside, can you suggest any relatively simple missions I could run as a test for them? Preferably not in the main storyline or anything non-repeatable, but I'm pretty new and I can't think of anything that's pretty straightforward that way. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I recommend the Acid Horta. Honestly, neither of them have much health, and the slight boost in damage in the acidic Horta I like more. If you use either even in a normal ground STF, they won't really last long, but at least the acid one will do some extra damage.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Actually there are three Horta pets, in addition to the Crysal and the Acid Hortas there is a craftable normal Horta you can get by running one of the Romulan FE missions.
In a nutshell, the Crystal Horta has more health than the normal one at the expense of attack damage, while the Acid Horta has slightly more damage but less health. In any case, all three of them don't really make much of a difference in combat. so it might just come down to what color you like best: Blue, Green or Orange.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Has anyone ever been able to get their BOs to use the Hortas? I have all three Hortas (Acid, Crystal, and the original Crafted one from the Rom FE), I've got them on my BOs on multiple characters (ie different mix of characters, BOs, races, classes, etc.) and NONE of my BOs will use the device and summon the Hortas. I've seen BOs use other devices (The Pimp Stick, for example), but not the Hortas.

Anyone else having this problem?

As for the OP, it doesn't really matter which you use (on your Captain). The Hortas have a short range and take a long time to get to their target. They tend to stall, just sitting there trying to figure out where to go. Especially once their first target is destroyed. They do very little damage (even the Acid one).

They're fun for a little extra, I suppose, or if you just like Hortas/pets. Or maybe it's part of your RP Story or something. For actual DPS you'll probably do more damage if you carry power batteries in that device slot to boost your Captain's own damage.