Lt. Commander
# 1011
09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I've only seen video on the PAX event(s), but it looked good. I am hoping for maximum detail on starships with a "TV/Movie" quality (or near quality) when "zoomed" in.

Gameplay is most important, but it'll be hard to truly enjoy if the starships aren't a "homerun".
Lt. Commander
# 1012
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satek06 View Post
i have faith in cryptic, from what i saw at PAX this year with there work so far, i believe they have captured the style and spirit of what makes star trek online star trek.
I have to have faith that Cryptic will stay true to the Star Trek spirit (Peaceful Exploration). They have not wavered in the face of (what I hear) overwhelming outcry from the 'PvP Community' to turn STO into another gankfest like 'EVE' (Open PVP everywhere) and have stuck with the original design stated in the FAQ. (Main Galaxy: PvE only, Neutral Zone: Competitive PvE, Consensual PvP , Far Reaches of Space: Open PvP)

I have faith that they wont 'cave' as so many others have to support the 'kill em all' mentality. It is very refreshing to see a MMORPG come out that people that just want to play, can just play without fear of someone disrupting their enjoyment of a great game. Nice to know some have found that there are just as many (if not more) that have no interest in 'PvP'. (You know OLD people :p )

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 1013 Rumor
09-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Anybody think there is any weight to the rumor that testing will start in OCT????
Lt. Commander
# 1014
09-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytoad32
Anybody think there is any weight to the rumor that testing will start in OCT????
its a possibility that it will start on october, but remember thees are just hunches and we have to just sit and wait ( witch i cant stand but have to) i would think that it will start in october though because Cryptic has said they want to start before the end of the year and that only leaves us 3 months before that time, if they start to late then the launch date will be pushed back, so all the information and what is going on right now points to october maybe as the closed beta time. we will see what happens. good luck to everyone on beta access!
Lt. Commander
# 1015
10-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Quote:
I really hope it starts in Early October, and not just because I want to see and test the game. The main reason is if the 'guessed release date' that Gamesnot was stating is anywhere near accurate (Feb '10) that leaves a VERY short time time for the closed beta and the open beta before release, as December /start of January is a very hectic time and not much testing will get done.

If November, it will be so rushed that STO will join the long line of MMO's that fall flat on its face like just about every other MMO seems to do and plagued with patch-mania and re-balances for what should have been done and taken care of in a good length of time beta.

Please Cryptic take steps to 'break the cycle' of this with STO.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 1016
10-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Obviously SW:TOR Just started taking applications for beta. So, they too seem to be pretty far up the road. I just hope, the games won't hit us too close to each other...
Lt. Commander
# 1017
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
The beta will be an exciting if not deliriously fun, but the key to a successful Beta is our providing Cryptic the feedback to finalize bug-fix priorities. With an online (computing from the cloud) solution it's MUCH easier to implement fixes (regardless of priority), I believe we'd all agree - we want this release to be as stable and successful as possible.

Remember how many 1/2-assed Trek franchise games have been released (as compared to successful)...we certainly want to hold Cryptic/CBS accountable either way. A Beta is our opportunity to lend credibility to our opinions by participating in the less-than-fun aspects of testing (documenting stuff).

If we truly serve the purpose of testing (beyond that of getting a sneak-play-peek) our input will actually matter and have impact for the franchise and the game!

...Now, I have to get back to looking for any and all evidence, possibility, hint of beta application approval!!

;-)
Lt. Commander
# 1018
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Quote:
I sure hope so, I started that rumor!

Well, I'm sure others came to the same conclusion, but I quoted a Dev's when I stated it, so I hope that gives my speculation more weight... and not more wait.
Lt. Commander
# 1019
10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
Well, the smart money has it that Star Trek Online will be the much sought after but VERY elusive 'WoW KIller' and SWTOR is stated the same way (didn't they say that about LOTRO and ***?) I think you will see a power play in the coming months on who will get the most converts (and followers) and don't forget fending off the other game that is taking in droves and is out now..****

Let not even go there with Champions Online, as I have to believe 'Different Executive Producer, Different Game'. I pray at the temple of Roddenberry every night STO won't end up like another Champions Online.
Whats wrong with Champions? I found it fun. I jumped ship for **** though.
Lt. Commander
# 1020
10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Nothing is "wrong" with Champions, but I believe you may have misinterpreted the point. Champions is not Star Trek and therefore Star Trek shoudn't "play" like Champions.

The essence of what makes both genre's successful is different. Trying to force Champions gameplay on a Trek game diminishes the enjoyment and credibility of the game and franchise.

Remember the Trek gaming franchise has been "taking on water" for years - and we can't afford another "broadside of mediocre". So it's much more important for Trek to define its niche of success than Champions - due to history.