Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1061
10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I sure hope so! I can't wait!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1062
10-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Might have to wait until November. Just a theory, but Cryptic are gearing p for the Champions "Blood Moon" event for Oct 27. Could be that the beta isn't scheduled to start until that is started.

Just a theory
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1063
10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satek06 View Post
im with you on that, im in the same boat with you, just dont bail for another beta test or anything like that and we will be fine, i just wish they would clearly tell the people who purchased the 6 month or lifetime subscriptions that included the guaranteed beta access weather or not we will be getting a key for beta. if there is anything said by Awen or Rekhan or any of the other devs for that mater please send the link so i can read it.
Well now I know how a friend of mine got a email saying that he had a beta key.... (lying jerk made it out like he signed up like the rest of us beta testers)
He bought CO and from what I've seen of it.. Well just not my type of game...
But if I get lucky and get a beta key I'll be happy.. If I don't well I'll just wait for the open beta and try to get in on that...

later
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1064
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screechprime View Post
Might have to wait until November. Just a theory, but Cryptic are gearing p for the Champions "Blood Moon" event for Oct 27. Could be that the beta isn't scheduled to start until that is started.

Just a theory
Those should be different teams working on the different games. There might be a fair amount of administrative crossover, but the devs should really only be working on one game at a time. CO's schedule should have no impact on STO's schedule
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1065
10-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replica View Post
Those should be different teams working on the different games. There might be a fair amount of administrative crossover, but the devs should really only be working on one game at a time. CO's schedule should have no impact on STO's schedule
Agreed. There are likely to be some dev resources common to both, but by-in-large, there should be largely separate teams working on both projects. It would be hard to imagine jeapardizing either product's release goals due to resource contention.

I'll be happy to wait as long as it takes in order to get the RIGHT game!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1066
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I just hope they make it soon as a 1 month or so Closed Beta would be disastrous for STO (But what else is new for every MMO that comes out, companies seem to WANT it to be a disaster / patch fest nightmare)

They start in November, and they have less than a month before the December/January insanity and then 'Open Beta' maybe 2 weeks before the release (If Gamesnot's 'estimate' is to be believed February 10)

All is too little time to properly test and patch a game as big as STO (not to mention all aspects of it will not be in the closed beta) This is starting to look like yet another plagued release like every other MMO on the market. You would think companies would have learned by now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1067
10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
I just hope they make it soon as a 1 month or so Closed Beta would be disastrous for STO (But what else is new for every MMO that comes out, companies seem to WANT it to be a disaster / patch fest nightmare)

They start in November, and they have less than a month before the December/January insanity and then 'Open Beta' maybe 2 weeks before the release (If Gamesnot's 'estimate' is to be believed February 10)

All is too little time to properly test and patch a game as big as STO (not to mention all aspects of it will not be in the closed beta) This is starting to look like yet another plagued release like every other MMO on the market. You would think companies would have learned by now.
Though I agree with your sentiment - I haven't heard frustrations occuring from Champions (made by Cryptic). In fact, Cryptic has a pretty good reputation for solid launches. Ultimately, I agree with the position favoring "it releases when its finished" - aka Blizzard, Bioware, and other legendary game making companies whose philosophies of quality before all else have established their credibility beyond question.

The problem comes when a "bean counter" takes over the priorities and vision of the company and its products. Let's hope no "Bean Countes" are in engineering for this launch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1068
10-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet940 View Post
Though I agree with your sentiment - I haven't heard frustrations occuring from Champions (made by Cryptic). In fact, Cryptic has a pretty good reputation for solid launches. Ultimately, I agree with the position favoring "it releases when its finished" - aka Blizzard, Bioware, and other legendary game making companies whose philosophies of quality before all else have established their credibility beyond question.

The problem comes when a "bean counter" takes over the priorities and vision of the company and its products. Let's hope no "Bean Countes" are in engineering for this launch.
I take it you haven't been with Champions Online (CO) since the beta. Because they totally stuffed it up. It was fun as heck in the beta and then on release they do a complete 180 and turned fun into frak. Its been patches everyday since then (going on a month) 'Rebalancing' so severe it caused them to give players a chance to totally redo their avatars 3 times..The game now with certain builds is unplayable solo. I would consider this 'frustration'. But as far as I know this was pretty much due to the 'bean counters' rushing it out the door. (what other reason could it be for such a short closed and open beta..)

Cheers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1069
10-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
I take it you haven't been with Champions Online (CO) since the beta. Because they totally stuffed it up. It was fun as heck in the beta and then on release they do a complete 180 and turned fun into frak. Its been patches everyday since then (going on a month) 'Rebalancing' so severe it caused them to give players a chance to totally redo their avatars 3 times..The game now with certain builds is unplayable solo. I would consider this 'frustration'. But as far as I know this was pretty much due to the 'bean counters' rushing it out the door. (what other reason could it be for such a short closed and open beta..)

Cheers
Wow - you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I was in the closed and open beta and it really was cool! I must admit to being completely astonished! Not "good news" at all!

As disappointed as I am about the Champions news, I'll hope Cryptic uses that as a learning opportunity for what NOT to do when releasing STO. Shakespeare had it partially correct....you can take the bean counters right along with the lawyers as you flush!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1070
10-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet940 View Post
Wow - you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I was in the closed and open beta and it really was cool! I must admit to being completely astonished! Not "good news" at all!

As disappointed as I am about the Champions news, I'll hope Cryptic uses that as a learning opportunity for what NOT to do when releasing STO. Shakespeare had it partially correct....you can take the bean counters right along with the lawyers as you flush!!
I'm REALLY hoping that Executive Producer, Craig Zinkievich has more smarts that Bill Roper (Executive Producer of Champions Online) and the bean counters stay off Craig's back. The bean counters were satisfied with the launch date, it was all Bill that screwed the game after launch. I personally couldn't give a targ fart about Champions Online. I tried it out because I got a six month sub solely for the purpose of the 'Guaranteed STO Closed Beta Spot'. The 180 they did on release and totally changed everything left me kinda peed off I even bought the game. But the STO Closed Beta makes it all worth it..(I wasn't even planning on playing CO, but I got the beta and liked THAT, not the poo-doo they changed it in to)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.