Lt. Commander
# 1141
11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravencast
So beta testing on star trek online has begun? Thats good, its about time there was an mmo out there with a space age theme rather than all the medieval age mmo's which are a dime a dozen. I would love to be in the beta testing true enough but I wont complain about not being in the beta testing either -I hope all goes well in there and the full game is released soon.
Ravencast I would like to point out to you that there is a space age MMO out for several years now called E.V.E. It is the only game I know of that power gamers (the ones that play MMOs 23 out of ever 24 hrs :> ) don't gain a significant advantage over those who can only play a few hrs a week. Yes, the power gamers will most likely be in better shape financially in the game, but skill wise they'll be the same as you, as your skills train at the same pace if you're online or offline. You no longer even have to be online to change your skills as they've got a skill queue where you can schedule what skills to start training up to 24 hrs from the time you set it up, which is great to get a bunch of quick skills trained and follow them at the 23rd queue hr with a multi-day skill. Another good thing about the game is that your character creation choice doesn't limit you to anything. Just don't expect to master all the skills in the game anytime soon. My main character in EVE has over two years of training done already, and the estimated time to master all of the remaining skills is currently at nine and a half years, and it doesn't help that the devs keep adding more things to the game every six months. As far as PVP goes, EVE is unparralled. At least once a week in the game there's a battle with at least 100 players involved, but every few months or more there's at least one major battle that everyone knows about as they always make the ingame news as these major battles take hours from start to finish, involving anywhere from one thousand to six thousand players with the actual battlezone spread out through dozens if not hundreds of the games star systems (zones) and it doesn't matter if you have the best of the capital ships, or the weakest of the frigates if you want to participate as those massive battles are sometimes decided by just one more frigate joining in the battles. All of this is just a small fraction of the gameworld of EVE, it is just too massive to really describe it, and even after over two years, close to three of playing it, there's still thousands of little details and secrets about the game that I and my friends have yet to learn.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to start playing STO, but I will never ever give up playing EVE. It's a game that you have to work at to really be able to play it. The first few weeks of playing has an extremely high learning curve asa there's no other MMO similar to it at all. And lets talk about Dying, in other MMOs you might lose some of your experience, that might take you an hour or so to make up. In EVE, dying means losing one of your ships, and possibly even weeks worth of skill training if you haven't kept your clone up to date, and replacing some of those ships can take close to two months worth of constructing the parts for the ship and the ship it self, not too mention all the time needed to harvest the minerals for building. It's a game where you make it through hard work, either over months and years worth of skill training & building, getting that lucky exploration point where you take a fleet of ships piloted by your friends and battle for hours just to get to the cargo container floating in space that you just might have the skills to open to find something that if your lucky might pay for your ammo and ships lost trying to get it, or it might just be one of those rare items in the game that will pay for everything you need in the game for the next year. It's a MMO that truly emphasizes teamwork as it's extremely difficult to be independant and trully succeed. Now it's time for me to sign off as I've started to ramble due to being awake so long today, so I will say what I always do to my friends in EVE whenever I log out and know it applies to all of you playing and wanting to play STO just as much as EVE, "Good luck to you all, and fly safely out there!"
Lt. Commander
# 1142
11-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I got the 6-months, but there's remarkably little word that "Don't worry, you're on the list."
Lt. Commander
# 1143
11-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDN
Yeah, I got the 6-months, but there's remarkably little word that "Don't worry, you're on the list."
That's internet talk for "Thanks for the cash chump".
Lt. Commander
# 1144
11-30-2009, 06:08 AM
I tend to agree in the aspect of signing up for the Closed Beta and not even receiving an email notification that it was placed.
Lt. Commander
# 1145
11-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Stratton
I tend to agree in the aspect of signing up for the Closed Beta and not even receiving an email notification that it was placed.
Same here, though i do think, if i'm correct, that i saw "APPLIED" on the main page, after i gave my CB aplication. Not an Email, nor any confirmation on page, but maybe a clue that they recieved it
Lt. Commander
# 1146
11-30-2009, 06:34 AM
I noted this as well; but I prefer a direct communication. A simple received script is not that hard to write.
Lt. Commander
# 1147
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
To those EVE players. I tried it for 2 months and that is without a doubt the worst mmo ever. Boring and totally not enjoyable at all. enough said.
Hurry up February 2nd, 2010
Lt. Commander
# 1148 y eve bash
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorion
To those EVE players. I tried it for 2 months and that is without a doubt the worst mmo ever. Boring and totally not enjoyable at all. enough said.
Hurry up February 2nd, 2010
Get a life. EVE was and is still on top of the space mmos. Can you name a better one out now? Mabie STO will offer something good but EVE IMO is the benchmark. Some players need longterm goals & some like the quick fix. Mabie your the latter of the two.
PS. Please dont rush the game out. Take your time and get it right.
Lt. Commander
# 1149
12-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I believe STO will surpass them all. Oh, by the way, the original, not the nerfed version, of SWG, set the benchmarks for space mmo's. SWG put EVE in the back seat as far as that goes.
But, my fault, STO is the subject here and it will reign supreme.
Lt. Commander
# 1150
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I thought most people play video games to get away from real life, to get away from the stress and drama, to have fun.....why would you want to play Eve, when it's filled with drama, stress, losing your ship and having to start over, being too technical, requiring you to work extremely hard to get anywhere in the game, I don't see a point of doing that. I'd rather do that at my job, and make ton's of money. When I enter a video game, I do it as a stress reliever, and to have fun....in my opinion...Eve just doesn't seem like a game worth my time, and worth paying monthly for...paying for eve is like paying for drama......but to each their own I suppose....I'll stick to Star Trek Online...