Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 651
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
i hope to get in... i have not been an active poster here, but i've been lurking around. i'm a huge trekkie, and hope to play as a cardassian
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 652
09-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Could you kindly stop the chest thumping, testosterone comparing and belittling of other posters simply to "claw at a chance" to say you somehow are entitled to Beta while those you deem beneath you are not?

Thankfully, Cryptic isn't using your arrogance to determine who's acceptable. Most of us here don't care if someone's been here since Day 1 of the site launching or if they apply on the last day for applications. Random is random no matter how much it hurts your pride.

The rest of us would like to enjoy this time without your snide comments, if you don't mind.
I think you're reading between the lines..I read cipher_nemo's comments and didn't see any hint of any "chest thumping". In fact most of it was a well thought out argument. Your also putting words in to his (or her?) mouth. At no point did he refer to anyone as 'beneath' him. I would go far as to say yours is probably the most 'snide' comment I've ever read on these forums.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 653
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm hoping to get in. I attend the Trek convention in Vegas every August, and have been looking forward to this for a few years.

Who else rocks their Black STO tshirts from the 2008 convention?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 654
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
damn.. im totally hyped again... damn freakin beta-signup...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 655
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Finally after months of checking almost daily we can finally apply for beta. after years of waiting for this things are finally warming up. for all of us who have applied for beta let us look forward to boldly going where no one else has gone before at least not yet anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 656
09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Johnson
Well, truly, it's usually not about how much people post. I've been following this game since Cryptic announced it, and I have no more than 10-20 posts. Just saying, posts don't matter. If Cryptic was going to look at anything having to do with the amount of activity a person has had here, it may be the data they registered.

Although, that is still partially true. There are some chances that perhaps a person registered long ago, and has only been on here once every few months, which would make them truly not a good person to be in a beta, but some people just don't post that much. I, personally, don't find much discussion that I feel a need to post in on this forum. The only reason I'm replying to your post, is to say that post count isn't everything.

/end blabbering/

Anyway, I can't wait till the beta starts. If I get in, yippee, if not, I can wait. I just hope you people at Cryptic choose the people who will test the game, and not play it.

Yeah thats true. But I think what warbird wanted to tell is, that he is scared about the final product if ppl are chosen who hope to get free playtime and leaving messages like "what is a beta tester?" ... so dont even know a bit whats going to do.

About the post count... well I for myself I registered here too veeery late, but I got the newsfeed of STO on my google Homepage since months and tracking every single news since I heard of that game.

So I think you are right with not counting just the posts and the activity for choosing the right tester...

But I bet they will do the right thing for all of us.. and more important.. to create a absolutely stunning game.




About the other topic...

Quote:
If you purchased a six-month or lifetime subscription to Champions Online, you’re already accepted to the Star Trek Online beta and won’t need to apply. We’ll have more information about how and when you can join the beta at a later date.
Well I think you can read the last sentence in 2 different ways.. first it really could mean, that those who got the Champions membership, get in as beta testers at a later time... but that wont be logical, and not really fair to those who would even pay money, just to be the first ones getting theyr hands on that game and want to be a part of it's progression.

But the second meaning it could have is, that those who bought it will get their information "later" how to join... so it means, keep waiting... you will get your data soon, so you all can start testing at the same time.


Hope I could exlain it properly... sorry for my english.. I know its not perfect :-)

Greetings.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 657
09-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateiasu View Post
Yeah thats true. But I think what warbird wanted to tell is, that he is scared about the final product if ppl are chosen who hope to get free playtime and leaving messages like "what is a beta tester?" ... so dont even know a bit whats going to do.
Kudos to you and TY for understanding. I'm happy someone understood. My original post wasn't meant to start a 'my post count is bigger than yours' debate. It was meant to shed some light on how the end product will turn out depending on the quality of the testers. I'm sure some of the people signing up will still be here in a month and will contribute accordingly and I know some people who have been here for a while that post rubbish but that wasn't what I was getting at. I'm just amazed no one (at least on the opposing side) got that and it took a non-English speaking person to set it straight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 658
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
You're looking at Closed Beta as a form of marketing the game (to those who may not play because they wouldn't buy it otherwise?). That makes no sense and goes against everything a Closed Beta is going to be.

I could agree with your argument for "Open Beta", but a "Closed Beta" phase of development isn't for the casual gamer. It will get the most out of individuals who are dedicated to STO.

Closed Beta isn't about "playing the game" as much as it's about giving Cryptic feedback from our experience with it, as well as finding and reporting bugs.
The only flaw in your logic is that you failed to produce evidence to support your theory. This has been done in the past, most notoriously by SOE in their pitch for Star Wars Galaxies. No one forgets the horde of forum trolls who got past the filters and still managed to get into the game - then their producer comes out and lets everyone who had a forum registration by a certain date get into the game and then "suggested" they tell their friends about the experience. Yes, it was marketing.

Come now to Star Trek Online, and for buying a six month subscription to a completely unrelated game that just happens to be developed by the same company, you get right into beta. That's not marketing? Now you've maybe half or less the total who paid for that 6 month sub who will legitimately test STO, whereas the rest are just snot nosed forum trolls with a lot of lead in their pockets. I've seen a tremendous number of them and I've been playing MMOs for a very long time, friend. Things like this never change.

They need to hand pick their first group of beta/late alpha testers from the forums based on those who are trying to productively offer feedback and suggestions in moving forward in this game's development, and not constantly bashing each revelation of content or implementation of systems. The producer of STO has to be getting gray hairs by now with all the pitchforks that were marching around during CO's open beta. Some people need to get a grip, take a deep breath, go outside, play ball with their kids (or friends), and come back with a fresh idea in their heads instead of pulling nonsense out of their hind-ends whenever something doesn't look to be the way they want it.

After all, you can't expect to enjoy a game if your entire thought of approach to it is negative, and how do you expect to take testing seriously when folks assume it's nothing more than a "trial" for marketing? They're getting to play one game for six months AND get into a beta on top of it. I can assure you at least half of those 6-month sub buyers are going to have exactly that mentality.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 659 Finally
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I know I do not post on message boards much, but I have been following following the progress of STO for years. It is kind of interesting to see where it started and how far its come. They have changed things so many times but with Cryptic at the helm this has been beyond productive. Weither I get into beta or not I know I will be an active player and member when this goes to market. Though I will admit I would love to say with pride that I helped beta STO for bugs. This is the undiscovered country folks. Kudos to you Cryptic on your work and I look forward to STO and hopefully the many addons that will follow.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 660
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabfleet1985 View Post
Though I will admit I would love to say with pride that I helped beta STO for bugs. This is the undiscovered country folks. Kudos to you Cryptic on your work and I look forward to STO and hopefully the many addons that will follow.
Indeed. I'm very happy with how fast STO's development is moving along. I think they're ahead of schedule, but regardless, this is all "undiscovered country".
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 AM.