Lt. Commander
# 661
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabfleet1985 View Post
I know I do not post on message boards much, but I have been following following the progress of STO for years. It is kind of interesting to see where it started and how far its come. They have changed things so many times but with Cryptic at the helm this year has been beyond productive. Weither I get into beta or not I know I will be an active player and member when this goes to market. Though I will admit I would love to say with pride that I helped beta STO for bugs. This is the undiscovered country folks. Kudos to you Cryptic on your work and I look forward to STO and hopefully the many addons that will follow.
Agreed. Anyone else recall when Perpetual helmed STO and their initial mock-ups looked astonishing? That's because a lot of their development power went into production for space and space only at the time. Turn the page of history and with Cryptic at the helm, space is a tad less beautiful than when Perpetual had it, but perhaps it is for the best.

Not only must the game reach out to a wide variety of gamers across a wide array of capable systems, but it must also cater to all forms of gameplay. Enter their systems for away missions, and you have exactly that. Maybe one day, they'll have an expansion where you can pilot Federation and Klingon fighters ala "Star Trek: Invasion" style, so us flight sim jockeys can "boldy go" as well.
Lt. Commander
# 662
09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagardon_Kahn
After all, you can't expect to enjoy a game if your entire thought of approach to it is negative, and how do you expect to take testing seriously when folks assume it's nothing more than a "trial" for marketing? They're getting to play one game for six months AND get into a beta on top of it. I can assure you at least half of those 6-month sub buyers are going to have exactly that mentality.
Very true. It's all relative, and more importantly, happiness is a choice.

I don't really care whether Cryptic is leveraging their Closed Beta (and possibly open beta in the future) as a marketing tool or not. I don't really see anything evil in that at all, provided they do get some good beta testers in there to help out. And with the numbers they're potentially letting in, chances are, we'll have plenty of dedicated people there to actually test STO, submit bugs, and give feedback.

As for hand-picking people for Closed Beta, I'd completely support that because you have a better chance of getting individuals who will actually do some testing (rather than just being there to play and check it out). But if they choose a more random method, all the more power to them.

Either way, it's Cryptic's choice whether we agree with their methods or not. For me, I choose not to try to worry about things I can't control (or even influence). This is why I opted for a guaranteed Closed Beta slot to avoid the worry and anticipation.
Lt. Commander
# 663 I believe you are correct.
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Indeed. I'm very happy with how fast STO's development is moving along. I think they're ahead of schedule, but regardless, this is all "undiscovered country".
Seeing the progress over the last year has been amazing, so I believe you are right. I have been impressed from the moment that Cryptic took the reigns. I had no urgent need to upgrade my PC, but now I am doing to do it in the next two weeks just to make sure I can run it without issue. New CPU(Heatsink and Fan), new Power Supply, new Ram, and new Video Card(god bless the 775). That is how geeked I am for STO. Good luck to you all. I hope that you all get into Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 664
09-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul_Westfale View Post
i hope to get in... i have not been an active poster here, but i've been lurking around. i'm a huge trekkie, and hope to play as a cardassian
Don't feel bad . I have beed doing the same.
Lt. Commander
# 665
09-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
New CPU(Heatsink and Fan), new Power Supply, new Ram, and new Video Card(god bless the 775).
Cool. Yes, fortunately the 775 socket platform covers a wide range of CPUs and video cards with PCI Express 1.0 (2.0 on later 775 boards).
Lt. Commander
# 666
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Seeing the progress over the last year has been amazing, so I believe you are right. I have been impressed from the moment that Cryptic took the reigns. I had no urgent need to upgrade my PC, but now I am doing to do it in the next two weeks just to make sure I can run it without issue. New CPU(Heatsink and Fan), new Power Supply, new Ram, and new Video Card(god bless the 775). That is how geeked I am for STO. Good luck to you all. I hope that you all get into Beta.
I agree, it has been amazing. I was not going to upgrade my computer until my motherboard started acting up. I got me a new i7 3.09 GHz, 12 GB of ram and 2 ATI 4870 2GB crossfired.
Lt. Commander
# 667
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Either way, it's Cryptic's choice whether we agree with their methods or not. For me, I choose not to try to worry about things I can't control (or even influence). This is why I opted for a guaranteed Closed Beta slot to avoid the worry and anticipation.

I envy you. If all my money at the time wasn't spent on holding down the Fort while my girlfriend attends college I would have done the same. Now that things are beginning to level out I am quite sad that I cannot do that now. If I do not get In I will just have to be patient. Many of us will have to be. Nemo do a good job in beta for all of those who might not get in. One way or another, I will see you folks in the game. Peace and long life.
Lt. Commander
# 668
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
I agree, it has been amazing. I was not going to upgrade my computer until my motherboard started acting up. I got me a new i7 3.09 GHz, 12 GB of ram and 2 ATI 4870 2GB crossfired.
Very nice. I am going to go with a Quad myself ... not quite the extreme with 12gb of ram. 4gb of 1066 or higher should surfice. And a new PCI-E ATI. I had a quad a year ago... but I had to sell my baby because I got hit with unexpected bills.
Lt. Commander
# 669
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Quote:
If all my money at the time wasn't spent on holding down the Fort while my girlfriend attends college I would have done the same.
Real life happens to the best of us. Alas, r/l is a priority any ways. Good luck on the sign-up and hope you get a good chance at getting in. And if not, there's always open beta later on.

Quote:
Nemo do a good job in beta for all of those who might not get in. One way or another, I will see you folks in the game. Peace and long life.
Absolutely. I'll be testing it on three different PCs from cr*ptastic to top-of-the-line, and I'll be making sure even the little annoyances I find are submitted as bugs. Hopefully I won't spoil the quests for myself when I actually play with a permanent character on release day. It's all too easy to get burned out on a beta.
Lt. Commander
# 670
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Quote:
It's all too easy to get burned out on a beta.
I have been there. Crud I did that with UBO by netamin. I was even a GM with them for a very short time. They went under.

Your comment about the three computers got me thinking. I most likely don't need to upgrade. Why not take the middle ground. Keep my Core 2 Duo Just upgrade the ram a bit and then call it good. I can imagine that is alittle better than the current standard. This way If I get into closed beta I could test it as the average user would. You think my 8600 GTS 256mb card is still average?