Lt. Commander
# 681
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I pray to Kahless every morning and every night that I get chosen for closed beta T_T
I've been blessed by the gods a few times to participate in a fair few closed beta's before, it's always nice to be their from the start and physically see how the game improves through the months of hard work.
Lt. Commander
# 682
09-06-2009, 09:07 PM
One small step for ma... oh wait wrong time & place !
=)

EDIT: Hmm thats weird my avatar and sig are all gone
Lt. Commander
# 683
09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Application Sent and awaiting review.

I wasn't in time to get the CO subscription specials, but I at least kept checking for the start of Applications.
Lt. Commander
# 684
09-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked_Warbird
I think you're reading between the lines..I read cipher_nemo's comments and didn't see any hint of any "chest thumping". ... At no point did he refer to anyone as 'beneath' him.
It's possible you're correct and I'm reading more into this than is there - the soulless internet can often twist a statement to a reader's current mood. I may be guilty of this.

Let's see what I put down and to see if what I was referring to was present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Could you kindly stop the chest thumping, testosterone comparing and belittling of other posters simply to "claw at a chance" to say you somehow are entitled to Beta while those you deem beneath you are not?

The rest of us would like to enjoy this time without your snide comments, if you don't mind.
Chest thumping/testosterone comparing - stating (in what seems to be bragging) how cipher_nemo is a better qualified candidate than others (specifically those just joining).

Belittling other posters/deem beneath - this seemed to be inferred/implied/hinted from posts others did that cipher_nemo did not approve of as being worthwhile for Beta testing, or those who joined the forums only when the Beta application opened

Snide - derogatory comments, generally directed at those who joined this September.

Evidence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Being a part of the community here shows quite a bit, such as a deep interest and commitment to STO.

Showing up right when closed beta sign-ups are announced isn't the best way to show commitment to STO and the community. It would just show that the person showing up last minute is interested in playing betas.

If there is competition and limited number of closed beta slots, then those who have actively participated in the community should get first consideration. It doesn't mean they have to post a lot, just be here, offer good input on some discussions, and perhaps participate in special events or join in over at the irc channel, etc. Otherwise how is Cryptic going to be able to gauge someone's commitment to making STO better through beta testing?
Quote:
True. This is why I also commented about contribution to the community (not just being active). But instead you decided to ignore that part of my discussion. But those are just indicators of possible beta candidates. You're right, it doesn't make them good beta testers, it just makes them dedicated ones.

Interesting how you consider every post here by community members useless. [His own extrapolation by twisting what stated.] Cryptic uses a lot of the discussion here as guidance for early development. Not individual posts, mind you, but a general sense of where the community sits on specific topics Cryptic feels important.

My opinions; I never asked your permission for my own views. Call them whatever you like... whatever makes you feel better.

As for those who've been inactive on the forums until now and who are clawing at a chance to get Closed Beta access, I would 100% question their motives. I think Cryptic should do the same (and who knows, they possibly will?).

Tons of examples like these:
Quote:
It would be nice. I hope they have a second part of the application process for those they wish to hand pick. It would help the community and those who have a decent amount of beta experience or dedication.
Again, I may be guilty of reading more into this than was intended, and if so I apologize; however, with the "circumstantial evidence" presented, it's easy to see that cipher_nemo has a bias against those who've recently joined the forums and -to me- he doesn't appear nearly as humble as his biblical quote would attempt to suggest he is. Forgive me if I'm wrong here.

To prevent a needless derailing of this thread into a "he said and meant this" tangent, I will not continue to dwell on it, but clean the slate and continue forward.
Lt. Commander
# 685
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I say only people who knew Gene Roddenberry personally get into the beta first. Everyone else (contest winners, forum contributors, CO subscription buyers (hi! that's me!)) shouldn't be allowed into the closed beta until 1 week before the open beta begins.

Because only those people who knew Gene personally are the best qualified beta testers and the most dedicated fans of Star Trek.

Sounds silly to you, maybe? Just as silly as fighting over who 'should be in the beta first' (IMO). For all I know, the beta's been open already, and there's people already testing it. I wouldn't know because of the NDA, so let's try to be happy the beta app stage has started, and keep checking our mailboxes for those beta e-mails/newsletters.
Lt. Commander
# 686
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Man this is such a good sign... we are getting close to being able to populate the world of what is sure to be the BIGGEST SCI-FI mmo ever made.

Dont compare it to WoW they have totaly different fan base. One is FANTASY the other is SCI-FI... for me the latter is the better
Lt. Commander
# 687
09-07-2009, 12:47 AM
We need to remember that the point of Beta testing is to catch problems with the game before it goes live. Thus, people that have some expertise in programming, game design or Star Trek lore should get preference (if anyone should), since this is where most problems are likely to arise.

In my case, I can provide expertise in only two of those areas, but I like to think my level of expertise is significant enough to warrant serious consideration (as I'm sure many of us do).

As I said before, I can only hope that I will be allowed to take part in making the game better, and whether I do or not, I can only offer my best wishes to all applicants.
Lt. Commander
# 688
09-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Please, i want play Star Trek Online! Beta come to my PC...
Lt. Commander
# 689
09-07-2009, 03:52 AM
kool hope i get in
Lt. Commander
# 690
09-07-2009, 04:09 AM
I filled in the form but I didn't get any confirmation (that my application had been received) in an email or anything. Did anyone else?