Lt. Commander
# 1 Expanded Doff's
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Duty Officers are they are now, are an interesting addition to the game, but I feel there's some missing potential (yes, I realize they haven't been in the game very long)

I would like to see some more depth to them though, like being able to promote them after a certain number of completed missions, for example

Something similar to the crew system in Silent Hunter 3 perhaps.

2cents
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
so kinda like have someone in charge of the mission as a whole as none of your command staff are with them. i like this idea have a lower rank progression but i would have to ask that they make sure you can just promote everyone to the top rank and leave it at that like i did with my BOFFs. i would want to see missions that require x amount of crewmen y amount of the next rank and so on so that if you do promote them all missions become locked off to you but i like the idea a lot
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2012, 03:32 AM
afaik Heretic said that would make the Database blow up.

right now DOffs are like trading cards, there is a certain number of predefined cards and your 100 - 400 DOffs are just a yes/no if you have them or not and what DOffs are in what missionstate + bound yes/no etc.
If you would now start to track things like level progression, rank, number of missions disasters/fails/successes/crits etc. then every single DOff you have would need it's own set stats like your BOffs.

We can't rename them for the same reason.

You best think of this as a trading card game, collect the good ones, throw out the garbage.
(the sad thing is most of the actual very rare and hard to get DOffs are bound on pickup, so no actual trading of the high end stuff).

i agree it would be *fun* to see them level up and down, and it would make you think twice about the outcome when you start an assignment...

BUT, then everyone would end up having all Purple maxed out DOffs after a while, and thats something Cryptic does not want, they want the Purples to be kinda sorta rare and hard to get.

So the DOff would need an additional rank apart from it's rarity, and have its own set of math....

in the end we might have a Lt. Cmdr. White DOff vs. an Ensign White DOff.... the difference between rarities is only about 5% as it is, so the best that rang up process could give you is a +1% increase in chance per rank (if we say there are 4 ranks...) thats a total of +4% chance we could actually hope to get out of this rank up system.

The DOff System is pure micromanagement as it is, i don't think we need even more micromanagement in there.

...but that is just like MY opionion.

buuuut, i would REALY love to see a better level up progress for BRIDGE Officers.
You start the game with whites, you give them a name, change their look, give them a little background Story etc. etc. you build up a Crew that you LIKE, only to end up finding out that there are purple BOffs with better traits -> i want to keep my Crew, but i also want those Traits.
If THERE would be some *learning while doing* process for TRAITS... that would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2012, 06:14 AM
if you want to play "promote the doff" try and find some higher quality ones with the same name and skills.... buy the higher quality one, get rid of the lesser quality one. and boom, you promoted him.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I'd just love to see a whole bunch of new abilities and buffs coming from Doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
if you want to play "promote the doff" try and find some higher quality ones with the same name and skills.... buy the higher quality one, get rid of the lesser quality one. and boom, you promoted him.
This...

If you know anything about databases, there is likely a table containing a list of all DOffs... each DOff has a unique key (I suspects its the Logical name, bbut most keys are simply incremented numbers). Your captain is in a captain table, and also has a unique key. Then there is lkely a third table that simply has 2 keys per entry, one captain key and one DOff key, to indicate what each captain owns.

So, as you can see, if you do something to a specific DOff, you'll affect all DOffs. Or, if you utilize the third table for "customizations" (ie, an entry would contain a captain key, a doff key, a customName value, current level value, DOffExp value, ect), doing that is possible, but doing this would increase the database size drastically. Every single doff ownership entry, instead of taking a few bytes per entry, would take many, many times that.

(and note to other people that know things about databases, I know it's slightly more complicated than that, I just simplified it )

There are other potential issues as well, but that's the easiest one I can describe