Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
1) Having just now got to the story line near end game and have begun fighting the Borg on ground maps, their adapting to my weapons is confusing me. Last night I would attack a group, they adapt fairly quickly making me do 1 damage so all I could think to do was get out my secondary bat'leth (weak because I got it around lt commander) and wailing on them.

Is this the designed mechanic or was I missing something? The fights were taking quite a while with my BOFFs shooting for 1 damage and me hitting them with a blade.

2) I can't believe I made it to admiral before the game finally stuck me in a random group but anyway, I witnessed roll for loot popup for the first time but when I moused over the loot, there was no details (only a vague picture) so I was clueless as to whether I should roll need or greed. I tried looking in my chat but these popups are in the middle of chaotic battle, my chat screen is scrolling, and the only way I can see details that way is to click and hold the mouse over the name because the tooltip flickers completely taking me out of the fight all while the roll timer is quickly dropping. I got flustered and just hit greed all night because I didn't have the time to try to inspect the item.

Am I missing something here as well?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
#1: It is a design mechanic. You can equip your alt and all your BOFF with remodulators. They're in your Replicator for free. After a few shots you can remodulate your weapons and they will continue to do damage to the Borg.

I can't help you on #2 as I don't pug with Need/Greed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
#1: It is a design mechanic. You can equip your alt and all your BOFF with remodulators. They're in your Replicator for free. After a few shots you can remodulate your weapons and they will continue to do damage to the Borg.

I can't help you on #2 as I don't pug with Need/Greed.
#1 That makes so much sense it is ridiculous. I wish the game would have explained that to me. Maybe it did and I missed it.

#2 Pug or not, I'm sure you see a roll on loot window at some point in your game play right? How do you see the details of the item and not just simply a vague picture? When I mouse over it nothing happens. I have no clue what I'm rolling on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Need/Greed: Depending on the group your going with it might just end up with everyone / most needing everything. In this case just join them in with doing so and examine the loot you've got afterwards.

Otherwise the "deal" is greed everything unless you really want to use it for yourself - then need. For this it's best you have your current weapon / equipment setup in mind and need/greed accordingly on matching better equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
Need/Greed: Depending on the group your going with it might just end up with everyone / most needing everything. In this case just join them in with doing so and examine the loot you've got afterwards.

Otherwise the "deal" is greed everything unless you really want to use it for yourself - then need. For this it's best you have your current weapon / equipment setup in mind and need/greed accordingly on matching better equipment.
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not asking about when to need or greed.

I'm asking, how do I know what I'm rolling on?? A need/greed/pass window pops up with a little picture of a item and a long gibberish name that is greek to me. In other games I can put my mouse over the item and a tooltip will appear telling me what the stats are. This does not happen in STO. Mousing over the item does nothing. All I know is I'm rolling on some sort of armor (for example) but that's it.

How do I see the stats of the item????
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
#1 That makes so much sense it is ridiculous. I wish the game would have explained that to me. Maybe it did and I missed it.
I don't think it does unless you play the Defera ground invasion.

Quote:
How do you see the details of the item and not just simply a vague picture? When I mouse over it nothing happens. I have no clue what I'm rolling on.
I have no idea.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not asking about when to need or greed.

I'm asking, how do I know what I'm rolling on?? A need/greed/pass window pops up with a little picture of a item and a long gibberish name that is greek to me. In other games I can put my mouse over the item and a tooltip will appear telling me what the stats are. This does not happen in STO. Mousing over the item does nothing. All I know is I'm rolling on some sort of armor (for example) but that's it.

I think everyone understands, you simply have to do what everyone else has done. Figure out what is valuable and what is needed, there is no tool tip until the item is in your inventory.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:

Odd...I've always been able to see the name and stats by holding my mouse over the item. Maybe they took that out, but I can't imagine why.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Odd...I've always been able to see the name and stats by holding my mouse over the item. Maybe they took that out, but I can't imagine why.
Yeah, that's what is confusing me too. I cannot see the stats, only the name and picture, and find it hard to believe that the advise I have received is just to roll need and if you win it, you can see the stats. REALLY?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I usually wait till someone 'rolls' on the item. Their 'roll' shows up in the chat with the item name. You can click on the item name there and see the stats.