Lt. Commander
# 11 Why
02-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Why can't a person have their own fleet? About 1 1/2 years ago I paid four players 2 million each with the intent goal of having my own fleet. Whats wrong with doing that? I don't like having loads of people in my space - that's my choice.

I have never spammed chat to get people to join. Have never sent an invite once. Its just me and I am very happy that way.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Why can't a person have their own fleet? About 1 1/2 years ago I paid four players 2 million each with the intent goal of having my own fleet. Whats wrong with doing that? I don't like having loads of people in my space - that's my choice.

I have never spammed chat to get people to join. Have never sent an invite once.
So you're pretty much just admitting that you didn't "invite" people, but jsut paid people off to take advantage fo the system...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
So you're pretty much just admitting that you didn't "invite" people, but jsut paid people off to take advantage fo the system...
I have been playing since Beta. There was a group of people I was in a fleet with, that was not doing too well. I asked the Fleet owner if he would like to sell me the fleet. He asked the others and together decided upon the price and agreed.

How was that unfair, and how is it any different to anytime YOU buy something from the exchange???

Oh, and now that I remember it ... one of the parties was kind enough to give back my money when they mailed me to ask if I wanted to help their group of friends start a fleet. I am still in that one 1 1/2 years later ...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
THE SOLUTION: Create a chat channel LFG/FLEET. Posting in the regular zone chat will considered spamming, posting in the looking for... chat is fine. Problem solved.

I'm not in a fleet, but if I just would like to play in a fleet with my brother and a friend I wouldn't want that be taken away. You cannot people FORCE to cooperate if they dont want to. And those who want do it already
I have to agree. It's mildly unfortunate, but you have to determine what is worse: That people are trundling around with minifleets, or that people are spamming zone chat.

The spamming is easily resolved: Ignore them. If they do it enough, report as spam.

The going around in a minifleet consisting of a handful of people is harder: Are they really harming you? I mean, actively harming you? It's a serious question, and should be considered carefully. I have little problem with them because, other than the spam when setting themselves up, they do not bother me at all. And there are plenty of people who have small groups of friends. A broad pruning of fleets will break up some of these minifleets and they should not get any further disincentive to play the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasCerise
A Prune Fleet would help one to boldly go, no?
For that, Sir, you deserve a visit from something large and heavy falling from a great height... but instead I'll just say, Well played indeed. =D (Yeah, I laughed. :p )
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Not only do I think this is a bad idea, I'm sure Cryptic would never do it.

Like everything else in most MMO's as well as Perl, "There's More Than One Way To Do It".

Forcing people to make their fleets fit into a particular mold does nothing to help the game and would probably hurt it.

It's difficult enough to form a fleet as it is and I don't think we need to make it harder to maintain one. Our fleet might not even exist today if I hadn't enlisted people who had no intention of staying, and yes, I did it by promising a reward. Plus don't forget that Silver accounts can't start a fleet on their own.

The unfortunate result is that, yes, you do get people trying to avoid ponying up C-Points for slots by forming "false fleets". And this does result in a certain amount of chat spam.

Do people take advantage of it? Sure they do. But... you get all of those slots and tabs all to yourself only at the expense of belonging to an active fleet with people you can trade, chat, and team with. You can't be in your own little fleet and also have all of the conveniences and benefits of a populated fleet. Also, if I remember right, those slots are supposed to scale with the size of the fleet. If you don't grow your fleet, you also don't grow your bank.

Sooner or later, Cryptic will probably find a way to make us pay $$ for those fleet bank slots and put the scammers out of business. <sarcasm> Won't we all feel better then? </sarcasm>
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Exactly. They get their fleet bank, but if they ever join a 'real' fleet, they loose all that. Annd some fleets ARE small like that -- a tight-nit group of friends who want to identify with each other. If there are only three or four of them (or even just two) how can one say they aren't a legitimate fleet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Like everything else in most MMO's as well as Perl, "There's More Than One Way To Do It".
(Just wanted to say, 'Perl represent!' *pragmabump*)
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Who are you to tell me I can't have bank fleets. That won't stop spam turn off ESD chat if you don't want to see fleet advertisements.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Best way to avoid dealing with annoying stuff is simple (and it applies for many things): Turn off your zone chat.
Lt. Commander
# 19 You're joking, right?
02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmy View Post
THE PROBLEM

We're constantly spammed by people in ESD who want people to join their faux fleet then leave so they can have the extra bank slots. It's a probably because of the zone chat spam and because it rewards players with something equal to the players that are actually working with other players. Fleet have a positive impact on a player's experience and Cryptic should encourage and foster them because they help tie players to the game because they're social. Faux "personal" fleets are not social. They're basically an exploit.

THE SOLUTION

It would be nice if every once a while the server ran a cron job that would prune (delete for tidyness) any fleet with less than 5 user accounts in their membership. Only players actually participating in actual fleets should have access to fleet banks.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR CRYPTIC

Eliminating faux fleets could entice players to buy more bank and/or inventory slots on the C-store. It could also push some players to join real fleets where they can make friends and run STFs, PVP, etc with them, which results in people enjoying the game more and staying around longer.
In my opinion, this is a stupid idea; you'll find no support here!

This suggestion comes off as a suggestion by someone who is hurt that no one wanted to join their 'legitimate' fleet, so now they've decided to blame it on the people who have banking fleets.

Messages from people asking players to help them form a fleet are few and far between. Furthermore, even if players wanted to start a genuine fleet, they would still need to advertise it in zone chat, therefore your proposed solution to that problem is a huge failure as it does nothing to resolve this (artificial) problem.

You must have ignored all the foolish people in zone chat already, because with the exception of [redacted -> I don't want the 'funny' people showing up here and spreading their oh so hilarious messages in zone chat], my zone chat is filled with: "hey, _____ just won a galor! you should buy some keys so that you can win one too!" and "look at me, i'm so smart, i'm able to replace a word in a title with the word tribble. Aren't I funny?" and "i know you guys just answered this question when the guy two lines above me asked it, but i'm special and i need you to answer it again, but this time directed at me. How do i do ___?" or "what's the best ____ for me? Because you being a complete stranger and not knowing anything about my play style would definitely know!" When I run across messages like those ones, which to me, are infinitely more annoying than someone looking to form a banking fleet, I simply ignore the message. But according to the logic you've displayed above, what I should be doing is asking cryptic to stop their galor spam, ban the use of the word tribble in game, not allow people to ask questions, and have only one item in game to make it easier for people to know which one was best for them.

You want the game to be more social and you want it to thrive, yet you're trying to alienate one set of players by destroying an important aspect of how they choose to play the game. Just because a player has a banking fleet doesn't mean they are not active members of one or more 'legitimate' fleets. It also doesn't mean they are incapable of making friends and taking part in social activities within the game. Does having a fleet title above my name somehow automatically make it easier to find teams for STFs or automatically make me a more social player?

Finally, I'll say this, attempting to force me to buy bank slots wouldn't actually force me to buy bank slots. It'd just make me more likely to pay a monthly fee for another, better, game. Perhaps one with a steady supply of content, as opposed to one that tries to get me to spend money every two weeks on the next useless cash store item.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmy View Post
THE PROBLEM

We're constantly spammed by people in ESD who want people to join their faux fleet then leave so they can have the extra bank slots. It's a probably because of the zone chat spam and because it rewards players with something equal to the players that are actually working with other players. Fleet have a positive impact on a player's experience and Cryptic should encourage and foster them because they help tie players to the game because they're social. Faux "personal" fleets are not social. They're basically an exploit.

THE SOLUTION

It would be nice if every once a while the server ran a cron job that would prune (delete for tidyness) any fleet with less than 5 user accounts in their membership. Only players actually participating in actual fleets should have access to fleet banks.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR CRYPTIC

Eliminating faux fleets could entice players to buy more bank and/or inventory slots on the C-store. It could also push some players to join real fleets where they can make friends and run STFs, PVP, etc with them, which results in people enjoying the game more and staying around longer.
I don't want to join your fleet, I don't need a lot of online friends, I do need more space,and a safe secure way to transfer items without having to clog the mail system. and after 2 years and change I made my own fleet. A lot of people in fleets also have alt fleets, it isn't an either/or thing. You may not remember it, but lowering the requirements to start a fleet was one of the things Cryptic themselves had in the pipeline. A bonus to finally getting my fleet is not getting any more blind invites from people that never even said hello. The good folks that sent a tell first I always told I appreciated the offer and thanked them for not doing the blind invite while declining to join. The blind tell people I had no use for. I was already maxed on slots for my main, and moving stuff to alts by mail was a hassle, so getting the fleet was the solution.