Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica View Post
Couldn't two guys create free accounts to artificially bloat their fleet to five people? Theres no need to spam in my opinion.
No because all 5 people would need to be logged in at the same time to create the fleet. Plus there are restrictions on silver players creating a fleet. I believe it falls under the 20 hour of playtime or spent money in C-store restriction.

Oh, and I support the OP. I know there are many others that would as well. In fact, one time I was ESD, when the 'help me create a fleet' spam was going, there was one player that was offering to give people EC to NOT help create a fleet of 1.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
A bonus to finally getting my fleet is not getting any more blind invites from people that never even said hello. The good folks that sent a tell first I always told I appreciated the offer and thanks them for not doing the blind invite while declining to join. The blind tell people I had no use for.
Truth be told, some folks create their own fleet for that reason alone. Fact is, I think some of my fleet members joined up so they could ignore fleets entirely.

And I'm okay with that, too. One of our fleet's principles is having the freedom to play the way you want to.

Here's my story --

When you are trying to promote STO to another online community and forming a fleet for that purpose, it helps to be able to have a fleet ready. It's not always easy to herd five "cats" to the same instance at the same time.

I tried for MONTHS to do it 'the right way'. I waited until I was a VA and had my own resources to put into a fleet. I tried several times to get my online friends to commit to a day and time as a group. I tried recruiting other members in-game without constant chat spamming.

I admit it. I offered a reward to anyone who'd help me, put together a PUG, and I got done in under 30 minutes what I couldn't get done before. One person was even nice enough to temporarily leave their fleet in order to help me start this one.

I got a fleet established, got a couple of guys as core leaders, we survived the content drought and now in F2P we are beginning to add more active members. I have no apologies to offer. I did what works.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I have my own fleet and all 9 of my Alt's are members... (with a tenth soon to join)...

(And if necessary, I'll just create a few free acconuts and sign them up)

We've even worked together and bought 6 extra tabs for 'Our' bank so far.

So you go right ahead with your righteous indignation and fight for this foolish idea.

People will always find a way to work around it.

And other than for the few minutes I actually asked for folks help when first setting up my Fleet, I have NEVER Spammed the chat channel for members.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
This idea is bad and the OP should feel bad.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
No because all 5 people would need to be logged in at the same time to create the fleet. Plus there are restrictions on silver players creating a fleet. I believe it falls under the 20 hour of playtime or spent money in C-store restriction.

Oh, and I support the OP. I know there are many others that would as well. In fact, one time I was ESD, when the 'help me create a fleet' spam was going, there was one player that was offering to give people EC to NOT help create a fleet of 1.
Actually if I wanted to I could have done it alone, 2 desktops, the good laptop, and 2 old laptops. I only would have needed to install on the oldest laptop, make a few accounts and move everyone to the same esd.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't like the spam either.

However I asked in Zone Chat, and found a few other people to help me so that my brother and I could have a fleet together and pool our resources. That is what the fleet system is intended for, even if we didn't meet the minimum number to create the fleet alone.

Perhaps we should petition the game for an entirely different system for groups of less than 5?

That seems... Efficient.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
This idea is bad and the OP should feel bad.
And you are constructive how....?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Even if Cryptic changed the requirements for creating a fleet; most likely, the existing "mini-fleets" would be grandfathered in anyway IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Even if they did require five players to make a guild people would make five free accounts. It still wouldn't stop guild advertisements. The people in small guilds and with bank fleets don't spam for people to join. Most of the people who spam for invites want large guilds. There are a few who will spam for some to join to form one but that's not every five minutes.

There are already ways to stop spam and they're in game already. Cut zone chat off and if you don't want to do that ignore the player.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
And you are constructive how....?
What's there to be constructive about? OP wants to try to stop spam by killing off small fleets.