Lt. Commander
To those who have recorded their own videos for gameplay or fan-made purposes, what would be your advice on how to make it the best video you can make?

I'm looking for tips like how to better control camera angles in the game, that sort of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
also, how the heck do I turn off the stupid alerts that keeps on saying somebody or somesuch won a galor ship??
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Check out this thread.

When using demo record none of the UI elements are visible; so no Galor messages.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
thanks! nice to know
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Hmm, not the sort of thing I'm used to. I mostly use Camstudio to record most of my stuff, so it'll be a very different thing than what I'm used to. should be intersting to see how it goes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I do all gameplay videos using Fraps and I want the UI to be present. Why?

Because I train newer players in combat tactics and lead paramilitary RP events. The UI is there for diagnostic purposes and also to evaluate everyone's gaming performance, for future reference.

I also find it more 'intense' - the over-scaled ships and condensed 10km range to target makes sense with the UI because it looks like an enhanced-reality battle management system.

So I don't see anything wrong with videos with UIs in them like this recent example.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
you certainly have a very good point there. however I'm making a machimina video with my character acting out various things, etc. I wanted to make it seem like a 3d version of a star trek episode, but the UI would have ruined that effect that I was looking for. so that's why I asked about things like that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi Moon,

In that case I look forward to seeing your creations :3
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2012, 01:05 AM
http://youtu.be/HbA-DRme-LY made it! tell me what you think
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2012, 02:08 AM
This is brilliant!

Your editing and plot is very nicely done and the Japanese music does make it feel very serene and epic at the same time..

One piece of advice is that you notice the recorded framerate is very low? This is quite normal and here is the method to reduce the stuttering between each frame without having to buy a new computer:

1. Record longer clips than usual
2. Speed up each clip to 1.3 to 1.6x speed
3. Publish the video at a higher than normal framerate for added smoothness - this will increase your filesize but the quality and playback smoothness is greatly enhanced.
4. For moving action scenes like ground combat, turn down the graphical details. Smooth motion is more relevant for such scenes - no one needs to count how many pixel shaded blades of grass there are on screen, they will just slow down your recording.
5. Try to 'dogfight' the enemy as Picard does, instead of sitting still and taking enemy fire. I usually just do the TNG style 'sweeping through phaser arcs' maneuver.

ps. I also like the Goth makeup on all your officers and the captain, who looks like a vampiress :3