Lt. Commander
Browsing the forums, it rubs me the wrong way when people say:

"I go from ensign to admiral in a week, that is not realistic"

"You get a promotion every 30 minutes in Starfleet"

"Starfleet hands ships out like candy"

I just wanted to say that you may have sat at your computer for a few hours and been promoted 4 times but it wasn't a few hours in the game. You have to use your imagination (hard I know) but you didn't go from one end of the known universe to the other in 40 seconds, take over the enemy base in 10 minutes, and then destroy the enemy fleet in 7 minutes, and get a promotion afterward.

All that took time, time that is on maximum fast forward speed at all times. I imagine your trip from Ensign to Admiral took years of in game time. Not two weeks.

When ever I watch a episode of ST I use my imagination to assume time has passed between every episode. The Enterprise doesn't come face to face with death and destruction every single day. The crew would have been insane by the third season if that were the case. I am left to use my imagination that many days and weeks of mundane life on a ship has taken place between episodes. The same applies here.

As a footnote you also have to again use your imagination when confronted with a server full of admirals. You achieved admiral for saving the galaxy through a story of quests you completed. These were rare scenarios that you overcame, and you alone. Every admiral you see is a clone of you, your story, and not separate stories or people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Technically, you don't even have to use your imagination since missions have a stardate associated with them in the log.

I know Cryptic says it is still 2409, but the stardates for the newest missions are 2412 (according to stowiki... I'm not fluent in stardates )

Still, being promoted even that fast is still a bit odd, but that is where the imagination comes in, like you said.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
The problem is that getting to end-game, level 50, can be done in around 30 /played hours. At that point there's nothing new for players to do. Whether it takes 5 years in game doesn't really matter because the player still needs things to do.

As rough as it might be to accept, most players are gamers first and Trekkies second. Meaning they care more about the play experience then the Trek experience. That's not to say the Trek experience isn't important, but I'd guess the majority would rather are more focused on getting to end-game and having the best gear over which race they're fighting or what the Iconians are really up to, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
Technically, you don't even have to use your imagination since missions have a stardate associated with them in the log.

I know Cryptic says it is still 2409, but the stardates for the newest missions are 2412 (according to stowiki... I'm not fluent in stardates )

Still, being promoted even that fast is still a bit odd, but that is where the imagination comes in, like you said.
If I were a role player, which I am not, I would probably have enjoyed aging my character every time they got a promotion up until they hit Admiral going from a young eager officer to wrinkles, balding grey hair, and a few scares from the many fights along the way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Ok, so I got from ensign to captain in a handful of missions.

Just as bad.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The problem is that getting to end-game, level 50, can be done in around 30 /played hours. At that point there's nothing new for players to do. Whether it takes 5 years in game doesn't really matter because the player still needs things to do.

As rough as it might be to accept, most players are gamers first and Trekkies second. Meaning they care more about the play experience then the Trek experience. That's not to say the Trek experience isn't important, but I'd guess the majority would rather are more focused on getting to end-game and having the best gear over which race they're fighting or what the Iconians are really up to, IMO.
So out of frustration they are saying these things, not that they think that their character went from ensign to admiral in 30 hours in the game world. I can get that but it still bothers me to read it when they phrase it that way :p