Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Data calls French archaic
No, he didn't.
He used the word "obscure".:p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I Love Franceland! Victory Against The Infidels!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
The 3 most used languages in the world are English, French and Spanish. In that order popular use.

So another question is: If French "died" in the Trek universe, did Spanish go first?
Or did Spanish go where no French word had gone before?
I would have thought is was English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, French
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
im not even sure if sisko's birth place was ever 100% confirmed although his father lives in San Francisco so lets just assume he is american.
How do you figure that his father lives in San Francisco? Because there's Cisco in San Francisco? No, he lives in New Orleans, Louisiana and operates a restaurant there. Sisko and Odo just beamed back and forth to work everyday.


Or are you getting Joseph Sisko mixed up with Admiral Cartwright?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor89
How do you figure that his father lives in San Francisco? Because there's Cisco in San Francisco? No, he lives in New Orleans, Louisiana and operates a restaurant there. Sisko and Odo just beamed back and forth to work everyday.


Or are you getting Joseph Sisko mixed up with Admiral Cartwright?
Yeah Sisko is from Louisiana. Where are people getting Crusher is from the Moon? There was an episode where she was asked and she claimed to be from North America.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Invading france is hardly WWIII material.
Dude. Nukes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
as far as the trek universe in concerned i guess no language besides english has any real meaning in the future...

all other human "dialects" are simply for cultural purposes, as anecdotes, for swearing or in children songs^^

btw: hoshi talks german once (more or less). so does trelane (to karl jaeger). i'm intentionally dismissing all the nazi-holodeck-timetravel trash here :p

nevertheless, english with all its accents (american, british, scottish etc) seems to be all that is left of humanity's linguistic continuum in roddenberry's utopia
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Yeah Sisko is from Louisiana. Where are people getting Crusher is from the Moon? There was an episode where she was asked and she claimed to be from North America.
From Wikipedia

"Beverly Crusher was born Beverly Howard on October 13, 2324 in Copernicus City, Luna. Following the death of her parents when she was very young, she lived with her grandmother, Felisa Howard on Arvada III"

After that she moved to the Scottish planet
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-sensei View Post
as far as the trek universe in concerned i guess no language besides english has any real meaning in the future...

all other human "dialects" are simply for cultural purposes, as anecdotes, for swearing or in children songs^^

btw: hoshi talks german once (more or less). so does trelane (to karl jaeger). i'm intentionally dismissing all the nazi-holodeck-timetravel trash here :p

nevertheless, english with all its accents (american, british, scottish etc) seems to be all that is left of humanity's linguistic continuum in roddenberry's utopia
Uhura speaks Swahili in one episode.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor89
From Wikipedia

"Beverly Crusher was born Beverly Howard on October 13, 2324 in Copernicus City, Luna. Following the death of her parents when she was very young, she lived with her grandmother, Felisa Howard on Arvada III"

After that she moved to the Scottish planet
Ahh yes how could I forget the Ghost Story episode.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.