Lt. Commander
# 11
02-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSmith
I would like this, but it would make a lot more sense at the Fleet Admiral rank to unlock this feature. Give me a reason to send out my T3 Excelsior and T4 Galaxy.

Like Admiral Riker once said, "The one good thing about being an Admiral is that you get to pick your own ship."
I would LOVE this idea. It would give you a reason not only to keep your old ships but to outfit them with decent hardware. It would drive up prices in the Exchange and increase demand for dilithium and crafting items. It would be great if this would be a viable function.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylsy View Post
I think the Doff System is a great component added to STO and had an idea of how it could be expanded to go some way to solve the problems of having old ships that no longer get used and also that we have a lot of admirals in the game commanding only one ship.

The idea is based off the old Trek game "Starship Creator" in which, as you may remember, you created a ship hull, fitted it with various systems and officers, then sent them on missions which would call upon particular systems installed or officer skills as the mission progressed to give a mission result.

My idea then would be to have doff-style missions to send your starships on once you are at at RA level. Perhaps as part of the game mechanic you would assign a boff (thats not currently active) to command the ship on the mission and have doffs assigned to the key ship stations (helm, science, ops etc.) The missions could then have chances of success and bonuses dependent on the type of ship sent, boff skills and doff traits. It would become more important to keep all of your ships equipped, up to date and ready for active missions.

I'm not saying it would be quick and easy to implement but I'd be interested to see what people think.
This is a great freaking idea. I just threw away 2 ships to make room for future expansion too..... Taking the Doff system up to the next level with deploying entire crews on one of your ships is exactly what this game needs since he's dead nuts right on how we all have ships that don't get used anymore, we hang on to them for whatever reason, and they just sit there. Using them for doff missions is a much more interesting.

Come on Cryptic, this would give people a real reason for expanding their duty officer roster past 100 and get more duty officers from the C-store to fill ships for missions. Don't blow this one over. Awesome idea.

(also, improve sector space, thanks).
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Well problem is you are talking about Expanding the DOFF system to recognize your owned ships and that would be rather tricky, one thing would be giving assignments to "ships" as it would be a DOFF in everything but its name and the other is the game to know what is your ship and give it a value for assignments.

I am not against it but I recognize its would not be easy ...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I really like the sound of this idea. Although I must admit, I'm a bit biased as I enjoy the doff system.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Well problem is you are talking about Expanding the DOFF system to recognize your owned ships and that would be rather tricky, one thing would be giving assignments to "ships" as it would be a DOFF in everything but its name and the other is the game to know what is your ship and give it a value for assignments.

I would say, it's still a Doff team that goes out on a mission, but the ship's statistics (calculated after all equipment on it) would supplement the Doff team's stats for the mission and the outcome. So you're still sending a Doff team, but they have a "ship" to go along on the mission and the "ship" enhances chances for success/critical success.

It might not be easy, but it would be well worth working on, if not looking into.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
that's true and people who don't want to level beyond Captain don't have to either. You don't have to fly VA ships. It is rather optional. There's room for improvement, but the idea of taking away good features or not implementing them at all because one person may not like them seems silly.

It would be like saying that the Soverign makes my Nova stink, so we should eliminate all tiers above 2 so that my Nova can be an equal competitor.
To stop leveling - you have to stop playing.

The only option NOT to become an admiral is to never play the character after it reaches level 39.

And no, the 'just wear captain's pips' excuse doesn't fly, because every Tom, ****, and Harry addreses you as admiral. Even your enemies attack you as if you are an admiral - regardless of how many pips you wear or what ship you fly...

I'm not a big fan of end game being admiral in STO. We should have ongoing levels in Captain.

There is a great place for admirals running fleets in STO- but not as a 'doff' style system - as guild leaders.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2012, 02:06 AM
This is an amazing idea! +1
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron

I do not know how they might do it but, I believe maybe when you buy a ship you could get a "doff ship"(the ship would be the same as the ship you bought to use) don't even worry about weapons it is just a "doff" but this doff would count for "25 doff roster slots" for example.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2012, 08:59 AM
This sounds a lot like the current doff system--with ship parts added to the mix.

More differentiation would make it a great idea:
  • what will this offer that the DOFF system really can't?
  • how could this be more interactive or nuanced than the DOFF system?
  • what role could this have in territory control?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
This sounds a lot like the current doff system--with ship parts added to the mix.

More differentiation would make it a great idea:
  • what will this offer that the DOFF system really can't?
  • how could this be more interactive or nuanced than the DOFF system?
  • what role could this have in territory control?
I think this idea sounds great, however i agree ther are some mire details we meed to work out first...

In my mind, is system would relace the doff systme once you unlock it... does anyone eose agree with is, or shouldnit be in addition to the doffs?

What shpuld the rewards look like?

i think that ships used in this system can not be destrpyed (like green or better doffs) but can be damaged and would need repairing,ninne samenway you repair a ship now....

This seems like a win for cryptic as wellhere, as it would drive more people to spend more c pointson ships and ship slots...

Lets keep this idea alive, and come up wi some more detailsnfor it!