Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
We've picked up a subspace communication containing a memo from Klingon Intelligence and posted it in this entry of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the news article.
Looks like somebody has a severe security issue

Good read and a nice explanation why the Empire "helps" the UFP in this series.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Makes me laugh or should that be cry? These originally used to be blogs about improvements to game, which made sense. Now theyve become adverts and back stories to the game. How quickly a good idea becomes perverted. Im guessing no improvements to the game are coming soon, just all the bug fixes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
NICE!

Its post like these that make me want to play my Feds and my Orion sleeper-agent Captain to keep those stinking double crossing Klinks in check.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
Looks like somebody has a severe security issue

Good read and a nice explanation why the Empire "helps" the UFP in this series.
The way that I see it is that the present UFP/Klingon war is a conflict between the UFP and Klingon Empire (and their allies) exclusively, and outside interlopers are not wanted by anybody. Thus, when somebody else pokes their noses in, whether Borg, Romulan, Dominion, or whoever, everybody is interested in kicking them out and getting back to the main conflict.

In short, the Klingon perspective is not simply a desire to see the UFP defeated, but rather to see it defeated [b]by the Klingon Empire[/b}. The Honor in kicking an enemy who was downed by a third party is much less than that from downing him yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Klingon Liaisons
02-25-2012, 01:44 AM
So this is a factional team-up? Not a chance to recruit a Klingon BOff?

Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Gee
Makes me laugh or should that be cry? These originally used to be blogs about improvements to game, which made sense. Now theyve become adverts and back stories to the game. How quickly a good idea becomes perverted. Im guessing no improvements to the game are coming soon, just all the bug fixes.
There's always got to be one, doesn't there?
Lt. Commander
# 17 *Hangs head in pain*
02-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
To: Commander Sej, I.K.S. K'vej

Your recent report on the current situation on Bajor was most illuminating. We are being given an almost unprecedented amount of access to Starfleet's operations there.

To address two of the points in your operational review:

First, do not trouble yourself with disciplining the crew members from the K'vej who were detained by Bajoran militia. They were only following orders. I sent them to Bajor with instructions to cause minor disruptions at check points and social gathering areas.

These brawls hurt no one, but they kept Starfleet and Bajoran security forces busy. This gave you and others loyal to the Empire ample time and opportunity to survey Starfleet's base and learn more about the Federation's strength in this region.
Of course... and you turned the Klingon Empire into a dishonorable bunch of scumbags, firing at the wounded and sick on an infirmary's bed? If I was a Klingon I'd be offended by such "heresy".

Quote:
Starfleet is stretched thin. Their commitment to protect Cardassian space has ensnared them in a hopeless fight against the True Way, an enemy so extreme in their beliefs that they will target their own people in terrorist attacks. The instability in Romulan space combined with Starfleet's incessant need to meddle has pushed them too deep into hostile territory. And our fleets harass them at every turn.
Not that stretched thin.

... As someone who likes to "play as" a Romulan when it's possible, even if in our own original Mnhei'sahe way, I can assure you that with the relief aid the Federation basically handed over to us instead of trying to invade territories in disarray moves 99,2% of our "Hate & Revenge Focus" to one thing, the Klingon Empire.

Quote:
If they are to survive, Starfleet needs to find decisive resolutions to some of these conflicts. Therefore, they will be willing to do almost anything to resolve this dispute with the Dominion quickly and with a minimum of violence even trust the Empire.

Secondly, this is not the time to pursue a long-term peace with the Federation. Chancellor J'mpok remains firmly opposed to any treaty, although his conflict with Ja'rod has sapped away some of his political power. Even now, there are whispers of dissent in the streets of Qo'noS.

There is one constant in Klingon politics. Chancellors do not die in their beds.
... That may as well happen now. You see the United Federation of Planets beside being more than double the size of the Klingon Empire, has one big advantage over it: It's got real in full parity members, which willingly choosen to cooperate and share resources.

The Klingon empire way to expand is instead conquering and annexing new territories, which ends into...
  • Gorns
  • Letheans
  • Nausicaans
  • Orions

Being encompassed into the scheme, and well those are not renowned for their "good will" or loyalty expecially when held into a silvery cage and are more then ready to overthrow Klingons from within when the opportunity will arise.

Quote:
Despite J'mpok's objections, I do see opportunities to cooperate with Starfleet. This situation with the Dominion is a prime example.

We don't want the Dominion pushing into the Alpha Quadrant any more than they do. By supporting Starfleet in this effort to end the threat, we can achieve our goal while allowing the Federation to take on the greater share of the risk.

If the Dominion is pushed back, we win. And if Starfleet is weakened by a fight with the Dominion? We still win.
Ambassador S'tass said he wanted "that bunch of machines to come for 'em" (and he gets rebuffed by me everytime in "Second Wave"), but while the fall of the whole Alpha Quadrant in 3 years might be exaggerated.
With how the Klingon Society currently works and with the way scientists are threated within the empire and how much they care for "technological advances" its fall would be not two years, not in one... not even one month but out of probability one week or two.

I will stop quoting now, because I think I made my point.
The Federation may have a few clinges against the Romulans, the Undines...
be against the Borgs, the True Way, a scattering 30+ years ago temporally displaced Dominion Fleet with some thousands of vessels and the Klingon Empire.

But the Klingon Empire has against:
  • Some of their own "people"
  • The Borg
  • The Cardassians
  • The Dominion Fleet displaced in time
  • The Federation
  • The Romulans
  • The True Way
  • The Undines
  • Etc...

In essence, everyone and every faction which counts at the moment (even from within). Martok is probably having big fits into the "Sto'Vo'Kor" looking at this "madness" to not say something else.

I'd also rephrase the "we still win" into "we still lose".

Cheers.

P.S. This is how a plot with coherence works (TM)
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Diamonds
words
That was beautiful. Thank you for being the voice of sanity. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the writing on the KDF as horribly bi-polar, shallow, and ultimately uninspired.

The KDF are not two-dimensional James Bond villains.

Please stop writing them as such. You insult the established fabric of the stories regarding what makes a Klingon truly Klingon, and why Star Trek fans find them so fascinating.

If you want this game to be the best Star Trek game there is, you need to get someone who can give KDF writing the treatment that portrays them less as 'the bad guys' and more along the lines of a rich, noble, and honorable culture who are the heroes -- in their own way.

The real memorable, interesting villains that people enjoy are not Snidely Whiplash. It's sympathetic villains like Hannibal Lector, Magneto, Roy Batty, and Khan Noonien Singh. Villains people can relate to.

In order to portray the KDF as the foil of Starfleet, you need to stop focusing the writing in mission text as little more than dressed-up excuses as to why the klingons are helping, it comes off as if whoever's writing it was just given the job of "Make it sound like it makes at least a little sense to prevent as little complaining as possible so we can get the KDF involved in the FE's."

As mentioned, the story needs to sound coherent and well thought-out, and most importantly, it needs to sound as if you are a member of KDF as someone who legitimately believes they are in the right and deserve to be the true superpower of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, and strive to do so. And most importantly, as someone who does not believe they are evil, and does not make decisions that are blatantly evil, and have an actual vested interest in the mission/story arc at hand, just as much as Starfleet would.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvour
So this is a factional team-up? Not a chance to recruit a Klingon BOff?

Starfleet Klingon BOffs have been available since shortly after Launch.

Other KDF race BOffs can be obtained via the Diplomacy/DOff system.

(There are uniform restrictions for the above, but a reasonably creative player should be able to come up with plausible ways to work with those.)
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-25-2012, 02:16 PM
^And there's a playable Federation Klingon in the C-Store.