Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAnnoyingKitsune
I agree with you there. It would make a mighty fine MACO grenade launcher.
A Photon Grenade launcher would be a pretty sweet weapon.. It could work like an AOE attack much like an Engineer's Mortar.

All those concept designs are pretty ridiculous, but I could see Concepts C and D working.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
That is one impressive collection of hideousness.

Concept D would make a good grenade launch or similar with a little tweaking, but the rest, no way.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Because in my humble opinion, they would make for interesting special weapon types (like the kinds you can get from STFs and FEs). I would highly doubt they would run out of new weapon designs for a long time if they drew from these concepts, which they've had the right to since they took over the STO project.

Concept A
Concept B
Concept C
Concept D
Concept chart
I don't know what to think about that stuff. STO really contains some weird designs (ships, weapons, uniforms) already... so why not.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Concept D is the only one I would seriously consider. The rest... not so much.

What the hell is it with sci-fi anyway, Trek included? Some of the better written series have all these wonderful concept artists, technical advisers, etc... Yet weapons are almost universally brain dead design-wise. More often than not, they're ridiculously over-sized for one; but it doesn't end there. The biggest problem? Ergonomics. It doesn't matter how much technology advances... whether phasers, disruptors, blasters, what have you come to be a reality, you're never going to advance past a bipedal humanoid's basic ergonomic needs. With rifle-like weapons, the effective range is going to be hampered by a lack of a shoulder stock (something Trek is especially guilty of). When your only points of contact are the hands/arms, the best scope in the world isn't going to allow you to stabilise the weapon well enough to be accurate past handgun ranges... and that's even if you have a scope. Most of these weapons don't even have iron sights. Without a scope, you need parallax (or something that can simulate it) in order to aim with any sort of accuracy. Very few sci-fi weapons have these.

Pistol-like weapons tend to be even worse. The Federation type II hand phaser and Han Solo's blaster may look cool, but good luck winning a competition with either of them. The former looks like a cross between a remote control and a dustbuster, and the latter has an off-set completely useless "scope." Without years of practise (or being genetically engineered like Bashir), you're never going to hit anything unless you're at point blank range. The only mainstream science fiction series in recent memory that gets these things right is Battlestar Galactica. Why? They used actual firearms. :p

One of these days, I'd like to see a science-fiction series (whether it be television, film, video game, etc...) get this one aspect right. I'm not saying a plasma pistol has to look like a glock, but try putting as much thought into weapons (which do feature heavily in a lot of series) as you do everything else!
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
How the frak am i supposed to aim with that thing?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
How the frak am i supposed to aim with that thing?
It has a holographic sight for a reason, despite its bulkiness.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post

What I wanna know is why the Heavy Disruptor designs we see in some weapon crates that look like actual KDF disruptor aren't used in game.
They used to be. It's just that when the weapons were updated with the ground re-vamp, the only 'weed-whacker' configuration weapons remaining were the miniguns and energy blast. Both of these types happen to be the 'commercial'-style disruptors, and the klingon-style assault weapons (arcwave and rapid fire)just happened to have their weapon models changed to rifles.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Those make me want to throwup. I thank Crpytic for not letting those come to life....just looke at how large thoes weps are too...
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I personally like some of these designs. But I dont know if we will use them, maybe in the future we maybe use them as a starting point for our own designs. A lot of these dont work with the system we have in place to create weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Because in my humble opinion, they would make for interesting special weapon types (like the kinds you can get from STFs and FEs). I would highly doubt they would run out of new weapon designs for a long time if they drew from these concepts, which they've had the right to since they took over the STO project.

Concept A
Concept B
Concept C
Concept D
Concept chart
Are you kidding me? All those weapons, save the grenade launcher are fairly ugly. And that Last one has a guy shoulder wielding a gun as big as himself. How is that in any way Star Trek (not even mentioning possible)?