Lt. Commander
# 1 Complete lock up at random
02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Hello,

I'm having issues with the computer locking up completely to the point of having to do a hard power reset to get it out when playing STO. The probalem seems to be at random, anywhere from while on a mission in combat to merely standing around and talking on Zone chat. I've been playing for the past month or so and these lockups have only been happening within the past week. There doesn't seem to be any specific time intervals. Sometimes it's within 15 minutes, other times it's a few hours.

I've tried everything I can think of at this point to trouble shoot it, from testing my RAID setup to making sure all drivers are up to date to even setting my computer through a CPU/RAM stress tester (which it ran 9 hours flawlessly before I shut it off).

Specs: (nothing is overclocked)
Intel Core Duo 3.0GHz
Win 7 64 bit Pro SP1
4 Gb DDR3 RAM
Dual GeForce 8800 GTS 512 in SLI mode
nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard
2 250 Gb HDs in RAID 0 with OS and game installed
2 500 Gb HDs in RAID 0 as data backup drives (this includes moved User profile to these drives)

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting steps I may have missed, or know of any known issues that are open (or solved) with Cryptic that could be related? I'm still working on even getting a crash dump file to be generated....
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
It's been a while since I posted in here, but lets update this.

Lockups still happening. Did a force verify of file integrity for the game. I've even reconfig'd my PC for being able to do the Right CTRL- 2x Scroll Lock to force a memory dump... doesn't work (when the lock up occurs, that is), so I am as of yet still unable to grab a crash dump.

I can say that over the past week, the lock ups have become less frequent, in that some days I can play without any issues or that it won't happen until a few hours in. But when it does happen, typically within 5 minutes of logging back in, it happens again. After that I'm good for the rest of the time I'm playing that day or night. But it literally seems to happen to me no matter what I'm doing in the game. I even had it happen while in the outfit store for one of my characters!

And I don't know if this is useful or not, but when the lockup occurs, I get a high pitched squealing out my speakers as well.

Any thoughts would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyofthefuga
Hello,

I'm having issues with the computer locking up completely to the point of having to do a hard power reset to get it out when playing STO. The probalem seems to be at random, anywhere from while on a mission in combat to merely standing around and talking on Zone chat. I've been playing for the past month or so and these lockups have only been happening within the past week. There doesn't seem to be any specific time intervals. Sometimes it's within 15 minutes, other times it's a few hours.

I've tried everything I can think of at this point to trouble shoot it, from testing my RAID setup to making sure all drivers are up to date to even setting my computer through a CPU/RAM stress tester (which it ran 9 hours flawlessly before I shut it off).

Specs: (nothing is overclocked)
Intel Core Duo 3.0GHz
Win 7 64 bit Pro SP1
4 Gb DDR3 RAM
Dual GeForce 8800 GTS 512 in SLI mode
nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard
2 250 Gb HDs in RAID 0 with OS and game installed
2 500 Gb HDs in RAID 0 as data backup drives (this includes moved User profile to these drives)

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting steps I may have missed, or know of any known issues that are open (or solved) with Cryptic that could be related? I'm still working on even getting a crash dump file to be generated....

Open up TASK manager and set affinity to 0
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately for this sort of problem there is never really a clear cut answer, you can try re-installing video drivers, updating windows and running tests, but more often than not you will not find the problem, I'm guessing you play other games and have no problems, so it most likely isn't a problem on your side but an intolerance to the game and your particular setup. You could also try changing the gfx settings in the game to see if that makes it better or worse.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but like I say these problems could be setup specific to your computer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
@adola: Yeah, I was afraid of that answer. *sigh* Not sure if I should try reformatting the thing *again* or just let it be so long as it doesn't get worse again. Maybe I'll take the time to do that this Sunday... need an excuse for being busy for the day anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Just wanted to update this thread, I've finally found the cause of the lockup/crashes.

It's Winamp. Or more specifically, having winamp running in the background while playing the game. This is using their latest version off their site as well. Having winamp running all by itself doesn't cause any issues, it's only when STO is open as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Ok, maybe it's not winamp.... This is starting to drive me up a wall.

So, shortly after my post on 3/8, I did exactly what I said I probably would do... I reformatted my PC.

I also took the 250GB drives (where the OS is installed) out of RAID mode.

I managed to play perfectly fine with no crashes up until 4/28. Then I started winamp in the background and set it as my music player in STO's options. 10 minutes later... crash.

Rebooted, tried again with winamp... crash.

Rebooted, tried without winamp. Ran fine for several hours.

I posted that I found the issue! 20 minutes later... crash.

Rebooted, went into STO options and set the music player in winamp to none. I ran perfectly fine the rest of the weekend.

Mon thru Wed I've been out of state (and thus not around my desktop PC) until today. I have now crashed and rebooted 4 times in a row. Each time the crash happens within 5 minutes of starting the game. I've even gone so far as to double check the music player settings in STO (which I did note had somehow reverted to winamp) and I even tried uninstalling winamp. I am still crashing.

If only there was an emoticon available here to express how I truly feel right now....

And seriously? A 4 image limit? That hits emoticons??
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I had the same problem, one day when I tried to log in it said my password was incorrect.
After trying to enter my password I know is correct, I started to wonder if I was hacked or if it was a bug.
I reset my password and was able to enter the game, and found I was not hacked.
So I shrugged it off as a bug and went about my business.
Until today when while playing the game froze my system which has never happened before.
After a manual restart I found I cannot log in because my password is incorrect, so I reset my password again, but I still cannot log in. I can log in to the site however...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Nah, I don't have any password issues, just the whole PC freezing and a high pitched squeal coming out the speakers.

So, after a fifth attempt to play the game, I noted this time upon logging in and checking the music payer options that it finally was set to None. I've been online up till now playing with no issues.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyofthefuga
Nah, I don't have any password issues, just the whole PC freezing and a high pitched squeal coming out the speakers.

So, after a fifth attempt to play the game, I noted this time upon logging in and checking the music payer options that it finally was set to None. I've been online up till now playing with no issues.
Sounds like it was either just getting overloaded with trying to run too much with the specs you have, or less likely but still plausible that having that much running was making it overheat to the point of crashing. Even thou it seems to be working fine now, I would suggest checking the fan speed and temps under a heavy load to make sure that all the fans are working properly and that it isn't overheating.