Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
If you really want to use Cover Shield on a BO, you can right click the icon so to disable them from automatically using it, and have your BO place it only when you manually tell him to, after using a way point to position him.

To get rid of one, you can just wait until it goes away, or have the BO just place another in a different spot.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Well a cover shield gets removed by droping a new cover shield.
Since you can manually order your bo to create a new one this should do the jop.

But a word of advice: That ability has absolutley NO use at all on a BO. Replace it with something else.
Mines are always great, also Turrets
Exactly!

I got sick and tired of my BOs dropping shields in front of me while I'm fighting. Change their skills to something else. I did and I'm much happier for it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcanis
For some reason my guys like to setup mortars and turrets directly behind and against the cover shield making them useless as they can't target anything!

"Oh hey a mortar! Good work! Now maybe next time you place it a foot or two to the left or right so it might actually shoot at something. Nice try though... Here's a gold star and a football helmet... try not to eat all the paste ok buddy, the others want some too.!"
Really? The big Plus mortars have is that they don't require line of sight to work.

And they are a big part of my strategy against Rebecca in Infected?

I use a cover shield to hide behind and drop a med gen and a mortar behind it and a phaser turret to the side of it.

That way I soloed her once without even firing a shot with my main weapon. Only things I killed myself were respawning new drones behind me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Well a cover shield gets removed by droping a new cover shield.
Since you can manually order your bo to create a new one this should do the jop.

But a word of advice: That ability has absolutley NO use at all on a BO. Replace it with something else.
Mines are always great, also Turrets.
I find cover shields to be a complete and total life saver more often than any other ground Power?

Not sure how you figure it is of no use. It is so very versatile and handy in so many situations.

I not only use it when I am in danger and need to heal, but I also use it to shield my Medical and Shield Generators from enemy fire.

As well it comes in handy to block an enemy approach in order that they have to go arround.

Often times you can set your group/team on one side of an entrance with the generators that heal and the shield generator and you then block off part of the doorway with the cover shield. Then have one person go in and aggro the Mobs. It works outdoors using big rocks too.

They are forced to try and get to you through a very small opening and you can pick them off one by one with focused fire.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-26-2012, 06:31 AM
It can be useful on a player, who can apply common sense and logic to where/when he deploys it. The BOFF ai, on the other hand, hits it seemingly randomly, and it often ends up doing more harm than good.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
I find cover shields to be a complete and total life saver more often than any other ground Power?

Not sure how you figure it is of no use. It is so very versatile and handy in so many situations.

I not only use it when I am in danger and need to heal, but I also use it to shield my Medical and Shield Generators from enemy fire.

As well it comes in handy to block an enemy approach in order that they have to go arround.

Often times you can set your group/team on one side of an entrance with the generators that heal and the shield generator and you then block off part of the doorway with the cover shield. Then have one person go in and aggro the Mobs. It works outdoors using big rocks too.

They are forced to try and get to you through a very small opening and you can pick them off one by one with focused fire.
they arent saying they are of no use at all. They are saying that its useless to have BO's use i since BO AI inst the smartest in the galaxy and they might shove them infront of doorways so you cant get through, or block themselves, allies in areas that basically put them out of the fight.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
they arent saying they are of no use at all. They are saying that its useless to have BO's use i since BO AI inst the smartest in the galaxy and they might shove them infront of doorways so you cant get through, or block themselves, allies in areas that basically put them out of the fight.
If I have a BOFF with Cover Shield I generally load it onto my Tray and activate it myself rather then letting the BOFF do it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I often saw the cowards then actually hide behind them instead of going into the fight.
Had to fiddle around with the placement icons to get them out. In the middle of a fight. Yeah, that went well. :p
Is that still the case?

Nowadays even in the most mundane fights I find myself as a Tac. Captain suddenly so squishy, that I think I have no choice but put Cover Shield III (if I can find it) on my BOFF and hope I can trigger it before him.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't mind when the boff randomly positions the shield randomly. I just shift my tactical strategy to reposition myself behind the shield. Remember, random shield is better than no shield!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Right-click the Cover Shield ability on your bridge officer's tool bar. This will turn it red and indicate that they won't use it automatically.

Then drag the ability onto your own toolbar. Click it when you need it (for added control, put the "move to this spot" command for your engineer right next to it, so you can place the boff where you want the shield, and then erect it). It's not as neat or quick as doing it yourself, but if you're not an engineer captain it's better than nothing.