Lt. Commander
# 21
02-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Please, how does that answer my question?
I answered why it doesn't fit in my view of STO.

Quote:
Actually, I would habe thought Eta Eridani is perfect for this.
If using a current sector it would have to be made optional. So a brand new sector would probably be best.
Like I said. PvP and PvE does not mix well. Especially their crowds. Just look at Kerrat.

Quote:
You will have to elaborate on that if you want to be understood.
What is there to elaborate? PvP has been forgotten by the devs here.
Or have you seen any additions to PvP lately? So whilst the goal was to have a PvE faction and a PvP faction it has become something akin to a PvE faction and a PvPvE faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uus
I understand your need to get your PVP fix elsewhere. 5v5 is not massively multiplayer nor appealing to me. Haven't been decently PVPing since Shadowbane went kaput, tbh. The odd matches I manage to get into are not going to sustain me and my credit card's interest for too long. Hope the supposed rumors of Open World PVP/ territory control pans out to be more.
I used to do a whole lot more PvP here. When Klingons was a bit more forced to do it. Back then it felt like PvP had a reason and the more PvE they add to them the less PvP feels important.
Like why should I engage in name calling and heavy usage of ship consoles when I can just do a simple PvE missions for better xp?
Lineage 2. Now that was a painfully fun PvP experience for me. As was GW(I was the crazy scythesin.).
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uus
Well said!

To me, queuing belongs in FPS games not in MMOs. Having to wait to fight is really close to being a game-breaker for me still.

I'd rather there was Open World PVP with real estate to fight over instead of the easy-mode instancing devs favor now-a-days.
Thanks!

Supposedly the open world PVP content is coming.

Anyways, queuing systems work best when they're "fire and forget". The system we have now is more then likely part of the reason why KDF is so barren at times, and PVP isn't something a lot of people queue for comparatively against the overall population.

If they fixed that, I think you'd see quite a bit more PVP in instances, at the very least. Nevermind a jump in KDF population.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I answered why it doesn't fit in my view of STO.
So you just repeated that you dpn't hthink it works, but you did not explain why or how.

Quote:
If using a current sector it would have to be made optional.
I see no reason for that, as long as the Klingons get another path to Orellius sector block.

Quote:
What is there to elaborate? PvP has been forgotten by the devs here.
That does not matter at all.

Quote:
Or have you seen any additions to PvP lately?
Well, Dan Stahl mentions additional war zones in his latest interview. I found that encouraging.

Personally, I don't think that the rather artificial scenarios of Arena and Capture And Hold give a good MMO experience. With 8 or 10 ships in the battle, it is but a skirmish under very rare circumstances. Usually, you should have one side with more ships at the site, you have actual, sense-making objectives like in the PvE missions or especially in Ker'rat. In my humble opinion, that is the way to go. The queues are for emulating sports, but Ker'rat and hopefully more war zones in the future are for emulating an actual war.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Quote:
So you just repeated that you dpn't hthink it works, but you did not explain why or how.
PvP and PvE stats being dependent on each other is not a good enough reason as to why I do not support the addition of more PvP just yet?

Quote:
I see no reason for that, as long as the Klingons get another path to Orellius sector block.
You are forgetting the Devidian FE. So if they use Eta Eridani they would have to move and rewrite the whole arc.
New zone is best because there isn't a zone that doesn't have some kind of PvE in it. However the overall view of the map doesn't leave much space for a zone that is between the Fed and KDF.

Quote:
Well, Dan Stahl mentions additional war zones in his latest interview. I found that encouraging.
Estimated timetable for most things.
Might come sooner, might come later. But I would prefer a balance pass before more PvP is added.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that the rather artificial scenarios of Arena and Capture And Hold give a good MMO experience. With 8 or 10 ships in the battle, it is but a skirmish under very rare circumstances. Usually, you should have one side with more ships at the site, you have actual, sense-making objectives like in the PvE missions or especially in Ker'rat. In my humble opinion, that is the way to go. The queues are for emulating sports, but Ker'rat and hopefully more war zones in the future are for emulating an actual war.
I'll agree to some extent on this.
Arena and CaH is just for quick PvP. Doesn't have a feel of PvP progression.
Kerrat is just best forgotten. It's just awful.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
EVE Online -> this way.
But probably a bit too hardcore for the likes of you.
The problem with every mmo with a strong PvP element is that the PvP players never stop crying about how they should be allowed to attack the PvE players anytime anywhere. Many PvPers don't even want to fight each other because that takes skill and hard work. They'd prefer to harass PvE players and claim that denying them that right is a blasphemy against the MMO gods.

Eve online is perfectly built around PvPers making PvEers cry. It works fine if you build a game around that mechanic from the ground up. But an mmo usually dies if you add open pvp later on just because some whining PvPers think they should have carte blanche to kill other players who want nothing to do with them.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Stats are not differentiated.
You make a change to a skill in PvE>It does the same in PvP. Vice versa.

Like when they changed the various STF sets.
PvPers complained because it nerfed this and that.
PvE'ers complained because it nerfed that and this.

PvE and PvP can rarely co-exist in the same biome. One exist peacefully and the other complained a lot when I sniped them with my TR. :p
Guild Wars did it right with their differentiating stats/skills. And they are close to a 50/50 mix of PvP and PvE.
I prefer my PvP with at least a minor semblance to balance.

So by all means. Make a new sector just for open PvP.
But as long as PvP is the forgotten stepchild it wont work.
This makes me wonder: has any game ever explored the idea of two sets of stats for every item - one for PvP and one for PvE?
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2012, 05:51 AM
i still think space pvp, especially at lower levels is excellent in this game. there is just not enough incentive to play it, not enough maps and game types to make it interesting and re-playable and not enough people playing it to cut down on the boredom between queues.

tier 3 space pvp between two equally good teams is tremendous fun as its not too quick or slow. shuttle pvp at any level is fantastic. t

its a shame pvp did not get improved early on as i think it could have become a big feature in the game, but its just been left to die. even little things like unique rewards, leader boards a new map here and there would have done wonders.

i tried battlestar briefly and it did not appeal to me.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
It generally works if the game is centered around PvP.

I prefer my PvP in a PvP centric game.
I prefer my PvE in a PvE centric game.
They don't blend.
Of course they do.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafico
This makes me wonder: has any game ever explored the idea of two sets of stats for every item - one for PvP and one for PvE?
Guild Wars is the best example for that.
A skill that gives a 75% to block will also heal you in PvE. In PvP the heal portion is removed.
(I really don't remember the name of that skill. but I know it's an assassin skill)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Of course they do.
Not in mine selcouth and bedazzled world. *throws some glitter* Weee.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Too bad the game sucks, has virtually 0 content, its completly pay to win unless you wanan spend a year to get anything, even upgrading your ships gear costs cash shop currency. Upgrades on most gear has way to little of an effect for the costs least on strikes, the game is boring too, farming asteriods all day is no fun, the game needs some actual missions you can do to earn stuff, I don't mean the dailies I mean actual missions. I think the game has maybe 3 actual missions tops? and they are pretty much tutorials. Pvp combat for the most part is unrewarding there is no real point to it what so ever, holding more systems over the enemy offers no real advantage at all, and pvping just ends up costing you a fortune for very little if any return. The only qualifying thing BSGO has really is the fact its quite pretty for a browser mmo. But other than that the game really has nothing else to offer thats worthwhile.

I'd suggest you just skip bgso there are far better less cash shoppy games out there with open pvp, that have much much more content that bgso can. SOrry but I dob't feel like I need to work my *** off all day farming astriods just to afford one measly upgrade that really doesn't do all that much. They introduced a aoe scanner for asteriods while it sounds nice, they didn't say the ammo it uses and the itemself is a cash shop item, So there you go even more losses. Combat between non-strike ships is also fairly boring, since these ships are really to slow to move they bascally just sit in 1 spot firing at each other and whoever spent the most in the cash shop is who wins always. Fights between strikes on the other hand rely heavily on player skill, due to upgrades not really making much of a diffrence. at lv 15 I took out a lv 40 in a strike vs strike pvp fight, was epic. I won due to better piloting skill, the lv 40 was probally a cash shop baby who bought everything by buying cubits and had actually little skill at the actual game.

Would be nice if strikes could say attack the enemy ships engines, or weapons which knocks them offline for like 10-20s, would bring some stragety and make strikes actually useful in large scale engagements.

Overall my 2 main problems with BGSO is 1: its way to cash shop based, 2: its quite frankly boring due to a lack of anything to do in the game thats actually ya know fun.