Lt. Commander
# 41
02-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, if you prefer to converse in a language that challenges you less, feel free to use it.

But the idea of using different "laws of physics" depending on who you are fighting, to me, would be a terrible immersion-breaker.
Well we could do it in German but it's not a supported language and all that.

All I'm saying is that PvE stats and PvP stats should be different.
You keep asking me what I mean by that. And I mean that PvE stats and PvP stats should be different.

And there are no different laws of physics involved. Just different stats depending on if you are PvEing or PvPing.
Example:
Quote:
Your phaser has a 2,5% chance to drop subsystems in PvE.
Your phaser has a 1,0% chance to drop subsystems in PvP.
That's difficult to understand? Do I have to spell out what PvE and PvP means? :p
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
[...]
All I'm saying is that PvE stats and PvP stats should be different.
So I understood you correctly, and I still fail to see the usefulness.

Quote:
That's difficult to understand? [...]
I see what you say, but you still have not explained what that would be good for. I see many reasons to reject that whole idea, but not a single one that could make it a win.

So, what is the outcome you expect?
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Just to pose a question.... name one game Cryptic created that got pvp right? :p
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
*bangs head on desk*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
So, what is the outcome you expect?
If they separate PvE and PvP stats they can make changes to either one without affecting the other.
Don't have to worry about a power in PvE being considered OP and having its stats lowered and thereby reducing its effect in PvP. vise versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
Just to pose a question.... name one game Cryptic created that got pvp right? :p
City of Heroes?
Maybe not 100% right but playable.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafico
This makes me wonder: has any game ever explored the idea of two sets of stats for every item - one for PvP and one for PvE?
I could name a game that has two separate sets of gear for PVP and PVE. But I'm not sure that violates cross-promotion rules, since it IS a PWE game.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
YES.. .I know what the op is saying. I stumbles upon it one day, played and sort of fell in love with the style of open pvp. I too felt the ruhs of war when i am about to be destroyed. seconds away from death and the same moment my FTL is seconds from a jump. It is really fun. Cryptic please look at this. And just to make the masses happy, create an option where if you dont want to open pvp you wont. This would add so much to the game. Seriously, I think this would be more of an impact than adding another faction right now.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Comparing STO with BSG is doomed for failure here. BSG is a realy crap game imo. Open pvp is not what STO needs.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
If you want PVP so much go play EVE Online. STO is fine the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I wonder why some people object to adding options to a game?
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
*bangs head on desk*

If they separate PvE and PvP stats they can make changes to either one without affecting the other.
[...]
Yeah, and if you make three separate games you can change either of them without affecting the other two. That is not a pro argument. It is a tautology.

Things that immediately jump at me for say "NOOOOOO!" to this idea:
  • It breaks the immersion if you have two rulesets (and yes, if things work differently depending on who you are fighting, that means two ruleseits, no matter how you call it).
  • It means double balancing work for the Devs.
  • It removes pressure to improve the AI.

So, how would this imrpove the game in any way?