Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
But what would a civilian captain do in the game? It cuts you out of almost all the missions currently available, as you don't represent the Fed or KDF. A whole new quest chain would have to be created, or else you're just flying around for the hell of it.
Well, that's the underlying assumption about the entire proposal, isn't it.
This would essentially be a new faction.
Which probably won't happen for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
But what would a civilian captain do in the game? It cuts you out of almost all the missions currently available, as you don't represent the Fed or KDF. A whole new quest chain would have to be created, or else you're just flying around for the hell of it.
Exactly. This is why you can't be a doctor in Assasins Creed or a soccer player in Rome: Total War.

The game doesn't offer this possibility. It's no open-world free for all RPG, it is a (kinda) Star Trek themed action game consisting of Starfleet Captains and KDF commanders shooting enemies. I understand the desire for fleshed out RPG functions, but that's not what this game is about. You can of course RP a civilian in GTA or other games with supportive players willing to RP that. But that doesn't make you to what you RP in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
Kinda wondering why you would lump in or otherwise associate being a Science captain as somehow translating being a smuggler.

My assumption would be for the Control aspect. Smugglers would want to blind, de-shield, and disable enemies. Targeting Subsystems would apply as that would leave the rest of the ship relatively undamaged which would make it all the better to plunder.

I would be fine with Civilian Characters being in the game. The problem is that they would not work with the current mission set, as other have already pointed out. They would need to be a Faction in and of themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2012, 12:02 PM
A neutral faction, specifically traders, etc were in the first concept for STO...but it died a long time ago with no hope of coming back.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
A neutral faction, specifically traders, etc were in the first concept for STO...but it died a long time ago with no hope of coming back.
You mean the "concept" pioneered by Perpetual Entertainment? Who technically didn't even have anything of note to show for all the time they had to work on the game?

I can see such a thing eventually making its way to STO, at some anomalous point in the future. If there's still a demand for it, anyways.
But before it ever comes out, we'd more than likely see the KDF faction fully fleshed out, and even see the release of a full blown Romulan faction, too.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
Exactly. This is why you can't be a doctor in Assasins Creed or a soccer player in Rome: Total War.

The game doesn't offer this possibility. It's no open-world free for all RPG, it is a (kinda) Star Trek themed action game consisting of Starfleet Captains and KDF commanders shooting enemies. I understand the desire for fleshed out RPG functions, but that's not what this game is about. You can of course RP a civilian in GTA or other games with supportive players willing to RP that. But that doesn't make you to what you RP in-game.
"Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant." - Kirk to Scotty in Star Trek III, The Search for Spock

I'm happy to read the OP's suggestion and feel it is food for thought.

Correct. At introduction, STO wasn't an open-world, free-for-all RPG. However, as the cliche goes, "All of this has happened before. And it will happen again.". Several astute player's made observations regarding a wide variety of oversights within STO. The focus upon shooting at enemies for the most part was one of the stronger outcries of dissatisfaction.

While some of that tone has been addressed over the past two years, IMO, not enough has been done. Thankfully, STO is now free-to-play. Which injects into the player base more player's who are making similar observations. Most importantly, the Star Trek fans can more easily observe the strengths and weaknesses of STO. So topics such as this will, I speculate, become more frequent.

The question is, how will veteran forum users respond? To respond with replies such as we (generally speaking) beat that horse to death and it ain't happening isn't, IMO, the smartest contribution. Which I've read more than once over the past month.

Just because we veterans may have felt we banged our heads against walls (uncontrollable limitations placed upon a games dev team), doesn't mean that our goals were worthless to reconsider. Our new player's are the means to this end.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
"Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant." - Kirk to Scotty in Star Trek III, The Search for Spock

I'm happy to read the OP's suggestion and feel it is food for thought.

Correct. At introduction, STO wasn't an open-world, free-for-all RPG. However, as the cliche goes, "All of this has happened before. And it will happen again.". Several astute player's made observations regarding a wide variety of oversights within STO. The focus upon shooting at enemies for the most part was one of the stronger outcries of dissatisfaction.

While some of that tone has been addressed over the past two years, IMO, not enough has been done. Thankfully, STO is now free-to-play. Which injects into the player base more player's who are making similar observations. Most importantly, the Star Trek fans can more easily observe the strengths and weaknesses of STO. So topics such as this will, I speculate, become more frequent.

The question is, how will veteran forum users respond? To respond with replies such as we (generally speaking) beat that horse to death and it ain't happening isn't, IMO, the smartest contribution. Which I've read more than once over the past month.

Just because we veterans may have felt we banged our heads against walls (uncontrollable limitations placed upon a games dev team), doesn't mean that our goals were worthless to reconsider. Our new player's are the means to this end.
I read this twice, and still have no idea what point you were trying to make, or how your post has anything to do with the thread topic.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I decided to firmly speak up before the idea is poo-poo'd into obscurity over a weekend. Good ideas get lost here sometimes.

Civilian Transports and Civilian Characters within the game factions is an old topic. But one amongst many that didn't seem to have a future one year ago. Or two years ago. Some say the game isn't designed to accommodate x, y, or z. And they are correct. It wasn't when it was new. It's been my experience in these forums that when such ideas reappear - especially on a weekend - that not everyone is willing to entertain the actual idea. Or contribute to the topic of how to actually incorporate it.

There is no harm in that. And I want to be confident that anyone new who may browse the thread realizes this. Even if they don't care to post in it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2012, 04:35 PM
So, basically just wagging you finger at anyone who criticizes the idea? ಠ_ಠ
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
So, basically just wagging you finger at anyone who criticizes the idea? ಠ_ಠ
No, basically he is saying that players who have never seen this idea posted before should accept that there's a portion of the playerbase who have seen and rejected it, and that their opinions matter.