Lt. Commander
# 1 C-Point Sale / Promotion
02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Was just wondering if you guys are ever going to have a sale on C-points. The other FTP game I've played in the last few years was ROM (Runes of Magic), and they had sales all the time to keep people interested and generating revenue. In the month or so I've been watching/playing STO, I have yet to see a promotion on points.

I think the message I'm trying to convey is that you really should consider regular (unscheduled) sales and other promotions on points. People generally tend to spend more when stuff is on sale than when it isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Just recently, PWE had a sale on "Zen," which apparently was valid for C-Store points as well. It wasn't well advertised, though.

Given the easy availability of C-Store points now, I'm questioning whether or not they're ever going to do another sale on the C-Store (like the 20% rebate on purchases that used to be offered every few months), but I hope so..
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Cryptic has never had a sale on CPs. They are always the same cost. PWE does, occasionally, have sales on Zen, though. If you link your account to Perfect World you buy Zen instead of Cryptic Points - they convert to the same cost.

Cryptic does often have frequent 20% off sales in the Cryptic Store, though. So your CPs will go further if you wait for a sale.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Not sure what the meaning of the word "frequent" is. Possibly something akin to Blizzard's infamous "soon", which really means wait an eon and perhaps. I saw a sale for another game in mid-Feb, but there was zero marketing of that across PW's site.

What that tells me, is that STO players are being squeezed, and in the meantime PW can say "Oh, we've had sales, you just didn't see them". As a Gold subscriber and frequent shop visitor, I don't take kindly to that duplicity. If they have a sale going and don't advertise it, there really is no sale going at all. -shrug-

Guess I'm going to have to bookmark all their relevant MMO sites and check them on a regular basis for Zen sales. Not that I'm at all interested in the other games - couldn't care less in fact.

I'm looking at a skin for my Dreadnought as a replacement for the ghastly original, and it costs me 1,800 points - around 90% what the ship itself cost. Fairly ridiculous, so you can see why I'm looking for a sale to get it for a reasonable cost.

Constructive feedback for you Perfect World: people catch on to this kind of stuff, and it generates more negativity and resentment in the long run than it's worth. Do yourselves (and the STO community a favor) and run visible Zen sales every now and then. If ROM was any tutor in that regard, it will seriously boost sales.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Frequently means frequently, as in "generally reoccuring".

It's about every 3 months, but I have to admit that I have not seen any in a while... Maybe they want to make sure that they can milk the silvers aas much as possible...

If that is the case.. no more C-Store sales.

In fairness: The Zen sale was pretty much the first thread you could see here in the forums, as it was almost on top the whole time and in the very first board.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesin
Not sure what the meaning of the word "frequent" is.
The last C-Store sale was New Years: end of December to early January. That was only 2 months ago. Having 4-5 sales a year seems frequent to me. I play many MMOs which only have 1 or 2 a year.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Runes of Magic randomly had sales every 1-4 weeks, for the duration of a weekend. If you were paying attention to in-game chatter, or watched the news on the main MMO website, you'd get in on it. A sale in STO every 3 months and you'll miss a large portion of your player base - those people that don't stick around for a MMO long.

Exacerbate that with the fact that leveling in STO is insanely easy, and you will get people who cap, then go elsewhere without even touching the C-store due to prices.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesin
Runes of Magic randomly had sales every 1-4 weeks, for the duration of a weekend. If you were paying attention to in-game chatter, or watched the news on the main MMO website, you'd get in on it. A sale in STO every 3 months and you'll miss a large portion of your player base - those people that don't stick around for a MMO long.

Exacerbate that with the fact that leveling in STO is insanely easy, and you will get people who cap, then go elsewhere without even touching the C-store due to prices.
In all honesty I don't see the difference between paying $15.00 and $12.00 or $20.00 and $16.00 when it's on sale to be that big of a deal. If people want something they generally buy it. I really don't think most fans are lined up at the C-Store waiting to save $3.00 or $4.00 - especially when you can grind out $4.00 worth of Dilithium and convert it to CP in just a few days.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh I had so thought maybe this was good news
and thats what I get for thinking
Lt. Commander
# 10 Next sale?
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Aside from the Zen sale, I don't believe we've seen any sales since F2P went live. I realize that wasn't long ago, but still....

I was rather surprised (and a bit disappointed) that there was no Anniversary Sale, like last year. I'm guessing the next time we might expect to see a sale would be Memorial Day weekend?