Lt. Commander
# 31
02-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Earth rotates to it's east. Counter Clockwise when viewed from above the north pole.

We can see the ISS from the ground. ESD is significantly larger than that, and despite being further away, I think it would still be pretty clearly visible. Maybe you couldn't make out the shape of it, but it would at the very least appear to be a bright 'star' like Venus and Jupiter are in our evening sky now.

I'd argue that the San Francisco Fleet Yards, Luna Yards, and McKinley Station are not missing, but simply not visible at those distances. In the grand scheme of things, drydocks are very small, and mostly negative space.

ETA: Also, at full impulse, the trip from SFA to Paris would be pretty negligible. Not to mention that transporters have a range far out reaching the diameter of earth.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
In respect of the dangers of having such a large object positioned over a population centre this is a moot point because if it were destroyed or even if it's orbit was uncontrollably decaying it would not fall straight down onto the landmass below. The decay curve would be based on many variables and as such it could impact the earth almost anywhere depending on the factors that caused the orbital decay in the first place.

Secondly aerodynamics make no difference in space, only once sufficient atmospheric drag is encountered, even then with such a high mass object any protrusions that would normally affect areodynamic stability would be very quickly vaporised by atmospheric friction and simply become part of the ablation trail.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I was speaking more of those orbital facilities being missing from the Earth space map, and not what you might see from SFA.

Though speaking of stuff which can be seen from Earth, there's quite a few Luna structures which were said to be visible; such as Tycho City for example: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Luna.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
I was speaking more of those orbital facilities being missing from the Earth space map, and not what you might see from SFA.

Though speaking of stuff which can be seen from Earth, there's quite a few Luna structures which were said to be visible; such as Tycho City for example: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Luna.
They said you could see it from Earth but I don't recall whether it was said to be observable without a telescope.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
They said you could see it from Earth but I don't recall whether it was said to be observable without a telescope.
Judging by Riker's statement in First Contact, I'd say yes otherwise it just doesn't make sense to say that the Moon looks different in that scene.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking the fall of SB-1/ESD would go something along the lines of this.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
We need moon bases on the moon, and "Lake Armstrong" on the moon
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I'm thinking the fall of SB-1/ESD would go something along the lines of this.
Realistic even the Enterprise D Saucer crash would cause severe damage to the planet ecosystem, the EDS crashing into Earth would far, far, far worst that of what killed the dinosaurs (especially if its reactor goes off).

I suppose that is why they just are not afraid, even a Frigate crashing into Earth would be Extinction Event due to its reactor going off, this is a case if you are that afraid of technology you would better off destroying it all and go back living in caves.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Realistic even the Enterprise D Saucer crash would cause severe damage to the planet ecosystem, the EDS crashing into Earth would far, far, far worst that of what killed the dinosaurs (especially if its reactor goes off).

I suppose that is why they just are not afraid, even a Frigate crashing into Earth would be Extinction Event due to its reactor going off, this is a case if you are that afraid of technology you would better off destroying it all and go back living in caves.
FACTS ABOUT THE IMPACTOR THAT WAS PROBABLY INVOLVED IN THE EXTINCTION OF THE DINOSAURS

The impactor had an estimated diameter of 10 km (6.2 mi), was travelling at around 40 Km/sec and delivered an estimated 96 teratons of TNT (410 23 J). By contrast, the most powerful man-made explosive device ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba, had a yield of only 50 megatons of TNT (2.110 17 J), making the Chicxulub impact 2 million times more powerful. Even the most energetic known volcanic eruption, which released approximately 240 gigatons of TNT (110 21 J) and created the La Garita Caldera, was substantially less powerful than the Chicxulub impact.

ESD and STARSHIP REACTORS

These reactors are powered by matter/antimatter reactions. The energy derived from this reaction can be calculated from E=Mc2. This equation demonstrates that a tiny amount of matter/antimatter reactants release an enormous amount of energy. As such a station such as ESD could be powered by a few grams of antimatter per year. Furthermore should a devastating accident occur and the station be broken up the reactor core would be designed to release all it's reactants immediately so the resulting explosion would be in space and not on re-entry. Even if it did survive re-entry and the energy was released during impact it would be no more powerful than a traditional nuclear device.

In conclusion ESD or any other spacecraft is of insufficient mass and would not be travelling at sufficient velocity to cause widespread environmental disaster. The only possible way this could happen would be if ESD was carrying huge quantities of antimatter or other harmful chemicals that on release into the ecosystem could do such damage, neither of which would seem likely.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Judging by Riker's statement in First Contact, I'd say yes otherwise it just doesn't make sense to say that the Moon looks different in that scene.
Yet in a DS9 shot that shows the Defiant returning to Earth; as the ship passes the Moon, it's the same old barren Moon.