Lt. Commander
# 51
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
I would just love it if they added the day night cycle to SF Academy, period. I'm really loving the amount of detail put into Bajor and would love it applied more universally even though it's a lot of work.

Nice job on Bajor, Cryptic!
Oh please Cryptic, for the love of Q give us this everywhere, and don't forget the fish and extra splashiness of the water in the fountain.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought I already made SFA's water splashy? No?

Doing Day/Night cycles takes a good amount of time and tweaking. Likely one of the reasons they were left off at launch. I'm sure you'll see more of it, but it won't be a huge pass all at once.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

Doing Day/Night cycles takes a good amount of time and tweaking. Likely one of the reasons they were left off at launch. I'm sure you'll see more of it, but it won't be a huge pass all at once.
The water is splashy. The day that patch went live I was down in SFA splashing around the grounds.

Also, *IF* day/night cycles for SFA ever gets put on your schedule, would ESD be visible in the night sky?
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
Distance is harder to judge in space, as there's nothing in between to help keep perspective on the relative size of the objects. A Lagrange point makes more sense, mechanically, and is still close enough to make for easy shuttle travel.
As said L1 is very close to the moon, like the Earth is a small disk close to the moon. Search online for moon landing images with pictures of the Earth in the background. The Earth would appear a bit larger at the L2 point. But not that bigger From every shot of ESD from the movies onward, the Earth is a huge background presence in every shot. View Kirk tour of the Enterprise from TMP, or the Enterprise limping back home or Kirk and crew stealing the Enterpise in ST III, The Seach for Spock. ESD without a doubt is in relatively close Earth orbit.

Edit: I mixed up L1 and L2 points. Editing post to correct.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy
I'm not an expert, but wouldn't L2 be past the Moon making L1 the closest to Earth? L1 would still be closer to the moon then Earth though.

I would concur that its very unlikely that ESD is at any Lagrange Point simply by the shots we've seen of it indicate its way too close to Earth. Google for images of the Earth from the Moon to get a quick Idea of how tiny Earth would look from ESD if it was at a L Point.
Gah. You are right. I got L1 and L2 points mixed up. And my minor was Astronomy.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

My mistake, yes you have, I checked a few days ago after swimming at Bajor and didn't notice tbh, but I had a look this morning and am dripping wet at SFA. Thanks, it looks great.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
The water is splashy. The day that patch went live I was down in SFA splashing around the grounds.

Also, *IF* day/night cycles for SFA ever gets put on your schedule, would ESD be visible in the night sky?
ESD, the other stations and the bugger in space should all be visible from earth ground. as well as the Lunar colonies on Luna.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
Unless it's using some heavy-duty station-keeping (possibly non-Newtonian, given how gravity generators work in Star Trek), it's probably at a Lagrange point, most likely L4 or L5. I can look that up for ya on Tuesday.
That would probably explain why earth looks so small from the space around ESD.