Lt. Commander
# 101
03-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyell
That would be hard to say as factual. And perhaps the dread may not out dps the excel, but it is unlikely the excel can do more than the dread either. Assuming the exact same weapon build, the lance gives about the same amount of extra dmg as the Lt com/Lt slots do in a 3 min time frame. But to maximize dps, you would never use the weapon load between the 2 ships.

For example, in pve the dread can use DHC effectly, which allows it to out dps the excel. In pvp, DHC is useless, and you would need a different setup. So at best, one can say that the 2 ships can do roughly the same amount of overall dmg.

Lastly, if they really do allow saucer seperation later on, making DHC viable in all aspect of the game, the dread will definately out perform the excel in dps. So I still stand by what I said, that I can do more dmg with a dread than most can in an excel, depending on circumstance.
I do see this all the time, people saying that the exta tac boff power makes all that much of a difference, in reality its not an extra tac boff, its just an upgrade boff, because the GX still has the Ensign. and when a wwell speced GX can pull over 500DPS from the Lance ALONE, the excel cant keep up.
Ensign
# 102
07-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Tac Officer myself leaning towards cruisers as well!

Since i am completely new to STO i would like to know what skills to invest in from the start, if anyone can show some insight in that that would be great!

Love this thread by the way!
Career Officer
# 103
07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1968 View Post
Tac Officer myself leaning towards cruisers as well!

Since i am completely new to STO i would like to know what skills to invest in from the start, if anyone can show some insight in that that would be great!

Love this thread by the way!
Not to over simplify, but your primary trait skills are either Ground or Space, and ideally you will want to lean towards all Space or all Ground for the best over all advantage.

Beyond that, look carefully info each of the traits to see which will best support the way you want to play.

You may not really know how you will want to play until you have played a few weeks or so, and that's when you might want to roll another character, to do things a little differently.

As far as the ability to have the most flexibility, typically the Alien Races allow you to choose
all (4) traits, rather than being forced to use 2 or more, associated with the race.

Also, don't forget the Liberated Borg option available with a Life Time membership. This option offers some nice buffs over the other race options.

Good luck. You're gonna have a blast.