Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
What makes the Dominion set nice, at least at this point in time, is that it's the only set in the game that you can use under Admiral Rank. When the Breen set was level-gated to mid-forties it basically meant that everyone under 40 was out of luck if they wanted a set. You either had to Craft AEGIS at 40, get the Deferi at 45, or start the normal STF runs. The game really needs some cool stuff for the lower-level players in the game, IMO. The Dominion set helps with that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Like I said, good stepping stone.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm definitely going to put this set on my Bug
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Now that's totally overpowered.

But seriously, it looks like Dominion Synergy applies to polaron weapons only. You won't see phasers, disruptors or antiprotons doing polaron damage with this set, which makes it utterly worthless to most players. Antiproton Sweep is far too situational to be consistently useful. "Victory is life" is a painfully weak ability in itself. 2.5% chance to strip a buff? Lol.

The only way this set will be remotely good is if the Jem-Hadar shields have an insane bonus like a 20% reduction to all incoming damage.

2.5 on every weapon fired...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
Only if you use a bug ship. Otherwise you get nothing. Besides that, it's just another special proc. Phasers are far more potent with their disable subsystem proc.

What would work best is if all polaron weapons had the 2.5% chance to strip a buff instead of the weaksauce subsystem power drain that's essentially a poor man's phaser proc.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Building on this...

A 2.5% for a single buff may not seem like much, but consider 6x Polaron weapons. I'm not going into the statistics of it (mainly because I'm bad at stats), but with every weapon having a 2.5% chance to strip one buff (with multiple being allowed to trigger at once for multiple buffs removed), it's not an insignificant power (in PVP at least, where buffs matter). Not as good as the SNB DOffs, but still has uses in PVP...

Polaron weapons aren't the best, but many of us are already using them on our JAFs, as it just looks right. Plus, if you're not using antiproton, the rest of the weapons effects are about the same usefulness, so not a big deal to use polaron over tetryon, or plasma or whatever.

Personally, I'm going to get this set, get another Muaza (somehow), and deck out my JAF with this set + 3x SNB DOffs... should make for some good PVP fun (cruisors will be so much easier to deal with once their resist buffs are irrelevant )
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
What would work best is if all polaron weapons had the 2.5% chance to strip a buff instead of the weaksauce subsystem power drain that's essentially a poor man's phaser proc.
That's essentially what this set is giving you (if you're in a JAF)... Polaron weapons each get a 2.5% chance to remove a buff, in addition to the power drain they do. Seems better to me than the Phaser proc

And that's in addition to the +damage the set gives polaron... definitely becomes superior to phaser, and probably along similar damage output to antiproton (but dont want to do the math myself)
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
That's essentially what this set is giving you (if you're in a JAF)... Polaron weapons each get a 2.5% chance to remove a buff, in addition to the power drain they do. Seems better to me than the Phaser proc

And that's in addition to the +damage the set gives polaron... definitely becomes superior to phaser, and probably along similar damage output to antiproton (but dont want to do the math myself)
You're kind of ignoring the point I made. The buff itself is useless for 99% of the players who don't own a JAF. Of course it's better than phasers... if you're one of the lucky 1% who got a JAF.

They should swap the bonuses around. All polarons should have the 2.5% chance to remove a buff no matter what ship is using them, and the weapon power drain should become the 4th "Victory is Life" bonus for the Jem-Hadar set.

This would make Polarons worthwhile compared to the other weapon types. Right now they're just not good enough for anyone who doesn't own a JAF, even if they have the full Jem-Hadar set.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Only if you use a bug ship. Otherwise you get nothing. Besides that, it's just another special proc. Phasers are far more potent with their disable subsystem proc.

phaser disable has what, a 1-2 sec duration? getting your 2 min buffs stripped.... affects you alot more.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
phaser disable has what, a 1-2 sec duration? getting your 2 min buffs stripped.... affects you alot more.
And almost nobody will have that awesome ability besides a precious few lucky players.