Lt. Commander
# 71
02-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I think humanizing the Borg to a degree with the 'Borg Queen' did a GREAT dis-service to the Borg as a scary and thetening enemy. The 'force of nature/locust swarm' analogy of their first appearances and the fact that they NEVER negotiate (back up by Q and Guinan's comments in Q-Who really made theem a great villian because in that form here was something the Federation couldn't fix by talking - it was kill or be killed; something we really hadn't seen in Star Trek since TOS.
Funny you should mentioned the Borg Swarm Mentality - I was thinking the same thing during many of my rerun Star Trek weekends.

Sadly for the sake of making a viable movie with a tangible nemesis - They went ahead and gave the Borg a face - which in this case is the borg Queen.

I liked the original one minded Borg that viewed all races as sub species and needed to be perfected through assimilation, except that now the Borg remind me of the movie Alien - A queen bee and its hive - shameful really

Back on Topic:

I agree that STO should adopt the Nemesis concept from Champions Online - its a great idea and you can assign any of your Klingon Faction toons as an ultimate Nemesis

A) Let it randomly appear during your missions - so it has that X Factor to it -

B) Let it be equally skillful in its usage with skills and abilities

C) Let it always match your level for that extra challenge / with a notch above you hull defense, shield capacity, and weapon DPS
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
I agree that STO should adopt the Nemesis concept from Champions Online - its a great idea and you can assign any of your Klingon Faction toons as an ultimate Nemesis

A) Let it randomly appear during your missions - so it has that X Factor to it -

B) Let it be equally skillful in its usage with skills and abilities

C) Let it always match your level for that extra challenge / with a notch above you hull defense, shield capacity, and weapon DPS
Totally Agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Using existing characters from the series requires Cryptic to obtain Likeness Rights from the actors, and that can cost money as most Trek actors didn't do much after Trek other then get paid to attend conventions. IE, they like to make money from their Trek success.
Back when they were making the game, they should have done what was suggested. They had all that Atari money.They spent a chunk of it on Nimoy and Quinto. They tossed in some other characters like WIldman and what'shisface from the Excalibur, IIRC. They probably had a lot more flexibility to pull that off.

These days, they're probably not as capable as they were back then.

It's still a really great idea. And one I'd love to see happen. I'd take missions from Data or Admiral Riker or Tuvok any day of the week.
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Throughout the game there are minor villains like B'Vat, and Harkeev and a couple of other who appear in a couple of episodes but we seem to be sorely lacking a major recurring villain.
not to nitpick but.... *ahem*....

we have one. the iconians. you know, the race thats behind pretty much everything thats happened so far to some degree or another

Quote:
I disagree that cryptic are procrastinating.
we've passed the 2 year mark and there hasn't been a single bit info behind the actual motives the iconians have to do anything that they're doing. just sinister 'demons of air and darkness' and the occasional ship that disappears right away for no reason.

Quote:
I think what they are trying to do is as a number have stated is do the long game, what should happen is this, a number of races namely the Romulans, Klingons and by extension the Dominion
you know the cardassians technically have nothing to do with the dominion right? true way is just an offshoot nutcase terrorist organization

but we all know who the REAL power behind the iconians is.......

the almighty tribble god

Quote:
Dukat is not just the best villain star trek has produced, but one of the best villains ever to appear on TV, he was so well developed and well rounded
not even close. hes 1 dimensional, predictable and did the same thing over and over again throughout the series run - switched sides and constantly did whatever was beneficial to him. thats not well written

Quote:
Janeway had... Well.. she was pretty nuts, so I geuss her nemesis was her mood swings...
her arch nemesis was...... decaf coffee

Quote:
We need the borg queen to start making appearences
into the hive. you know, the STF that we've been repeatedly told is 'coming very soon' and is even listed along side 'children of khan' in the info if you buy STO anywhere online. funny how it all of a sudden disappears from anything the devs say so many times

Quote:
"Talking sense" by calling Cryptic "heinous villains?"

No, that's just trolling.
no. its being realistic

Quote:
Back when they were making the game, they should have done what was suggested. They had all that Atari money.They spent a chunk of it on Nimoy and Quinto. They tossed in some other characters like WIldman and what'shisface from the Excalibur, IIRC. They probably had a lot more flexibility to pull that off.
atari money? atari was nearly broke at the time and put the hiring freeze on them. doesn't sound like they were rolling in cash
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
not to nitpick but.... *ahem*....

we have one. the iconians. you know, the race thats behind pretty much everything thats happened so far to some degree or another
thats not a villain, thats an entire race, one that we know very little about.

if one of them, the leader turns out to be a recurring character through several years of gameplay then fine, thats no problem, but until one of them actually appears then no we dont have one yet.
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-28-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm all for this, however, the ELITE version of the encounter in which we will inevitably get the chance to assist said villain in his shuffle off this mortal coil should be properly difficult, requiring the best gear, flawless group coordination and a wide range of roles. For those of you who knew the encounters, think Sindragosa or the Lich King heroic kills when they were current tier in WoW. Or even put in mechanics that allow the players to increase the difficulty, such as in Yoggy; 3 lights, 2 lights, 1 light, Alone in the dark.

Please, PLEASE make this game as hard as a certain other MMO at the top level.
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Cryptic need to make a deal with CBS and get Khan into the game ( I know he's dead but meh death didnt bother Spock or Data ) .

It he could be like the Mega D of STO
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepht
Cryptic need to make a deal with CBS and get Khan into the game ( I know he's dead but meh death didnt bother Spock or Data ) .

It he could be like the Mega D of STO
Gozer's been working on Children of Khan STF since launch day.
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
A good while back during beta it was asked if a version of CO's Nemesis System could be added to STO, however there seemed to be a fair amount of resistance to the idea at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Gozer's been working on Children of Khan STF since launch day.
Yeah but I'm talking about the main event himself that would be epic