Lt. Commander
I have turned about anything up on high in this game and Warp Plasma and Theta Vent causes massive graphic lag.

Any option i can set lower without losing AA / AF eye candy ?

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5970
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

I just happens with Warp Plasma and Theta Vent Radiation. Other then that i don't have any issues with video lag at this point in time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought it was just me. thank you for posting this. i now don't even use it because of the lag time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Graphically speaking, Warp plasma and Theta vent are called particles effects, and they are probably the biggest resources hogs of any graphic. There is a option in the game menu to adjust the detail level of particles effects separately so the first thing I would try would be to change that to the next lower setting. If that doesn't change anything then it's more likely that your system overall is having problems with something that takes so many resources. What are the rest of the specs of your computer, and what type of internet and how good is your connection? (ie. ping, download, upload, packet loss)

I've used these types of buffs and haven't had any noticeable lag. I have all my graphics settings on maximum both in game and in the Catalyst control.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Add me to the list, I'm running a Phenom II X4 @ 3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX480 and get about 7-12 FPS anytime thermal vent is used, Warp Plasma doesn't cause any problems for me.

@VoicesInTheDark: Internet ping and speed "shouldn't" have nothing to do with graphical effects.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
Add me to the list, I'm running a Phenom II X4 @ 3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX480 and get about 7-12 FPS anytime thermal vent is used, Warp Plasma doesn't cause any problems for me.

@VoicesInTheDark: Internet ping and speed "shouldn't" have nothing to do with graphical effects.
You're right normally it shouldn't, however if you internet connection is unstable the lag from that can exaggerate the warp plasma/vent lag.

However with the system specs you have there is no reason why you should only be getting 7-12fps. if you have the extra hard drive space you might want to try increasing your virtual memory size. I've noticed sometimes windows doesn't always do the greatest job managing the virtual memory on some games. I upped min e to 10gigs for the virtual memory and it made a huge difference with particle effects on all the games I have.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
He has 8gb of ram, STO is a 32bit app. He doesn't need to up his page file.

Update all drivers, lower gfx setting, disable windows file indexing, defrag hdd if its non ssd.

Try WWW.ccleaner.com for temp files.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Got the same problems. Got non stop 60 fps but if i use eject warp plasma, my fps goes to 25..

Any tips here?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Had the same problem here. Its just STO not optimized even if you run a very fast computer.

Like, i have one of the fastest vidcards today and still my FPS is only a measy 60~ fps while in optimized games with the complexity of STO should give me 150+