Lt. Commander
# 1 Doors on Space Maps
02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I am in a bit of trouble here.

I had my mission series planned with a colonization background and therefore wanted to use the exploration zones.

But only NOW while working on the flow chart of the first mission, I realized that there are only doors to systems, not to exploration zones like Arucanis Arm p.e.

So I have 2 Questions:

1. Have I overlooked something or Is there a workaround to lead a mission into an exploration zone?
2. If not, is there a system in the Sirius, Alpha Centauri or Regulus SB where uncolonized (or even better unexplored) planets are not completly illogical?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryteller0
I am in a bit of trouble here.

I had my mission series planned with a colonization background and therefore wanted to use the exploration zones.

But only NOW while working on the flow chart of the first mission, I realized that there are only doors to systems, not to exploration zones like Arucanis Arm p.e.

So I have 2 Questions:

1. Have I overlooked something or Is there a workaround to lead a mission into an exploration zone?
2. If not, is there a system in the Sirius, Alpha Centauri or Regulus SB where uncolonized (or even better unexplored) planets are not completly illogical?
It's workable, I think, despite having no doors. What I've seen most authors do is use one system as a spring board to something nearby unexplored. Or, you can start at ESD with an interior admirals office, move to your ship interior where you do some task while enroute to unexplored space, then transition to a space map.

It doesn't really need to make a ton of sense, right? I mean, there is a big section of unexplored space next to ESD, lol. That makes no sense, but there it is. 5 seconds of travel from ESD takes you to the unexplored.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
probably what we need is a name change. I wouldnt say its necessarily unexplored as unsettled. Hell seems enough aliens in those regions know about the federation that they are requesting aid from them after all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I think you can just use any system door and branch off from it. Use one next to the explore area if you want. Have the enter system pop-up be your Engineering boff saying that he's setting a course from an unexplored system in X space.

Then start with a space map with the "warp effect" going. Have a pop-up saying you've detected something and then have an interact to drop to impulse ("Warp-in animation") which triggers the warp effect to disappear and the system to appear.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
probably what we need is a name change. I wouldnt say its necessarily unexplored as unsettled. Hell seems enough aliens in those regions know about the federation that they are requesting aid from them after all.

It swings between facepalm, irritating and amusing:

"Explore Unknown System"
"Starfleet, where have you been? Where are the supplies that you promised?"