Lt. Commander
# 21
02-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Something that I wish they would tell people as they start in warzones, is that they can leave the zone while "dead"... it was not an issue for me, but there are people that do not realize this and it leads to a level of frustration for them - even outright disgust (which they will often share in the zone chat).

They find themselves caught up in a "spawn camp" and simply wish to leave. They believe they have to respawn in order to exit the zone. Since each time they respawn, they are killed again, they feel trapped. Some of the outbursts over this can be very emotional.

It would be nifty if they knew they could either depart the system or change the instance while dead...they just need to be out of combat.

There are usually a few people each day that I see experiencing this particular issue...that could be saved a great deal of annoyance if they simply knew that beforehand, rather than having to read folks mocking them with the explanation that they can leave dead.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8monkey View Post
Don't laugh, but it took me 1 1/2 years to find out you can auto fire your weapons. I think I wore out 3 space bars firing my weapons...
Well considering that I REGULARY run into vetrarans (people playing since release) wich are, when I ask them (in ground STFs cure f.e.) if they have deactivatet Auto fire, completly suprised that there IS such thing on ground... well you are not alone on that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
I wish somebody had told me that I should have subscribed for the first month.

Given that it costs $5 for a respec, subscribing for that first month is an insane value.

For the $15, you will get the 400 CP ($5 value) as well as a respec token as you rank up. Take a look at how many ranks you would expect to reach during that month, each would be worth $5. Yes, it would have been an incredible value to have done so.
My suggestion (considering the limitet amount on character slots anyway for you silvers) would be to just reroll the character.
Like many I'm doomed to play with the wrong and sucking traits because I'm unwilling to focus on a new characters after hours and hours of accolade farming and collecting in the pre-dillithium time emblems to unlock ships...
Just having leveled... that isnt so much.

Coming to MY points for the list:

- I wish someone would have told me about the value of saurians. I prety sure I just threw away at least 3 saurians because I though "what an ugly ****, thats nothing I want on my bridge".
No Idea of any of it was efficient, and I'll never know.

- I wish I would have had some detailed information about what wich traits do. Especially how important Accuracy and Evasive are.
How where I supposed to know what impact +10 acc would have when creating my first char? Well for the later ones I COULD have known... but well...
I picked crap like "covered" for my mains because I though "well stealth on ground sounds AWSOME!".
Yeah it isnt.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-29-2012, 02:03 AM
One thing i wished somebody told me in the beginning was to not get attached to my BOffs, don't invest to many time / points into them.

The first bunch you get are White / Common quality, at Endgame you will get Purple Very Rare's, those have 2x "Superior Traits".
You can NOT level up or change those Traits, you can change everything else about them, but not this.
Not the ones of your Captain, not the ones of your BOffs.

So TRAITS are the one thing you need to keep an eye on.

I have 9 Chars and play for 2 years and half my BOffs are still white quality just because i don't care to replace them.
finding a purple quality BOff with the same gender/species isn't THAT hard, but some of those Commander Powers are rather hard to get for example.

On my last char i made my initial white BOffs intentionally UGLY so i know which ones to throw away when i reach Endgame.

That worked out rather well.

I think that is the one thing that still annoys me after 2 years, even if it is not that important and only micromanagement and you probably will never notice a 2.5% better knockback resistance anyway...
but i KNOW it's there...
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
Press X during ground combat and get +33% damage.
Wait what? I use X to increase accuracy and ensure I get more assured hits. It increases damage too?

But for me, it was not know about auto fire until after that now famous YouTube video featuring Foundry content where the captain must continually tell his bridge crew to "fire". Auto fire changed my game, because then I learned how to properl deploy Powers for my hotkey bar.

And yeah, that scanning thing took me 4 months or so to learn after launching. Searching for anomolies in space based on sight used to take 5 minutes plus EACH TIME.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
Wait what? I use X to increase accuracy and ensure I get more assured hits. It increases damage too?
Aim: +33% Rng Dmg

I wish someone had told me how useless Techie, Warp Theorist, Astrophycisist, etc. traits are.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
One thing i wished somebody told me in the beginning was to not get attached to my BOffs, don't invest to many time / points into them.

The first bunch you get are White / Common quality, at Endgame you will get Purple Very Rare's, those have 2x "Superior Traits".
You can NOT level up or change those Traits, you can change everything else about them, but not this.
Not the ones of your Captain, not the ones of your BOffs.

So TRAITS are the one thing you need to keep an eye on.

I have 9 Chars and play for 2 years and half my BOffs are still white quality just because i don't care to replace them.
finding a purple quality BOff with the same gender/species isn't THAT hard, but some of those Commander Powers are rather hard to get for example.

On my last char i made my initial white BOffs intentionally UGLY so i know which ones to throw away when i reach Endgame.

That worked out rather well.

I think that is the one thing that still annoys me after 2 years, even if it is not that important and only micromanagement and you probably will never notice a 2.5% better knockback resistance anyway...
but i KNOW it's there...
I hear ya, but I put it from the other side of the equation. I wish someone had told me how irrelevant boff quality is. How it only affects ground combat, and even then in such subtle ways as to be literally unnoticeable. When you learn how to use mine wall and a few turrets with Doff bonuses, solo ground combat becomes a duck shoot. Ducks in a barrel that is. A lot of ducks, in a very small barrel.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-29-2012, 04:27 AM
This is easy. What I wish someone had told me when I started: That Pakleds, Ferengi and Rigellians would all eventually be made FREE playable races. I would have saved some money and probably not hated Stormshade as much as I currently do.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-29-2012, 04:35 AM
That they really had little intention of doing more than string the Klingon fans along with a promise of a full faction.

and that Trait choices are vital to PvP on charatcer creation.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
There's a "days subscribed" counter in you My Account page on the STO website.

In game, it used to state how many days you subbed vs the nuber of days up to the next vet accolade (that stopped after 500 days, though)
Yeah, but I look at it extremely rarely and mostly don't care. I'm not saying you're wrong for caring, just marveling at the differences between what different individuals get out of and expect from a game, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeWood
I though the game was stupid as it didn't have waypoint markers. I kept wandering around and around the map looking for the next objective. Then I found out about the scan function.

What I would prefer is that when scanning it brings markers up on your map.
That would also be good.