Lt. Commander
# 41
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
You know you can still go play mass effect... I mean in 4 day 14 hours and 50 Minutes ( at the posting of this post ) I will be gone and busy fighting back the reapers to take back earth...

Also makes me wonder.. who would win in a fight.. The federation, and maybe a combined force ( like what happened with the dominion war. ) Or the reapers. hmm..
I'm gonna go with the reapers. James T. Kirk is already dead and gone (except if Shatner decides to start writing star trek books again), but ME still has Shepard(i.e. me with adept powers).
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpoman
You can't play both? I have. :p
So have I. I'm just saying that if I had played the first Mass Effect and then tried the beta for STO...

I would have said a big fat no to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
I'm gonna go with the reapers. James T. Kirk is already dead and gone (except if Shatner decides to start writing star trek books again), but ME still has Shepard(i.e. me with adept powers).
I have to go with the federation.. yes kirk is dead... But they picard. ( okay not a big deal ) Well they have janeway.. ( alright she should be in a federation prison not in command ) well.. umm... I got it

The Sisko... Yes the Ace in the hole... I know he is with the prophets, but he is stated to return some day. ( If I remember right ) And no one.. and I mean NO ONE is as Bad as the Sisko... I mean he has faced something more powerful the reapers.. and punched him in the gut.

So I will go with federation. The Sisko will come back, take command of his Pimp Hand ( the name of the defiant before Star Fleet felt that it was not appropriate to name a ship ) and drive the reapers back.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
One thing i wished somebody told me in the beginning was to not get attached to my BOffs, don't invest to many time / points into them.

The first bunch you get are White / Common quality, at Endgame you will get Purple Very Rare's, those have 2x "Superior Traits".
You can NOT level up or change those Traits, you can change everything else about them, but not this.
Not the ones of your Captain, not the ones of your BOffs.

So TRAITS are the one thing you need to keep an eye on.

I have 9 Chars and play for 2 years and half my BOffs are still white quality just because i don't care to replace them.
finding a purple quality BOff with the same gender/species isn't THAT hard, but some of those Commander Powers are rather hard to get for example.

On my last char i made my initial white BOffs intentionally UGLY so i know which ones to throw away when i reach Endgame.

That worked out rather well.

I think that is the one thing that still annoys me after 2 years, even if it is not that important and only micromanagement and you probably will never notice a 2.5% better knockback resistance anyway...
but i KNOW it's there...

Yeah, I agree with this, but rather, I wish they would make it so that you could turn your old BOffs into purples. I'm rather attached to my crew that has been with me from the beginning.

That said, it doesn't matter that much. BOffs are only there to help with ground and I can pretty much face roll everything on the ground already anyway so... yeah.

Upgrading to purples would be nice though.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
Wish someone had told me not to get a life time sub as the game isn't worth the discs it was loaded on. I wish they'd told me lifers would be getting ripped off and practically spat in the face by Cryptic and PWE and Atari.
Oooh, good one.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
I have to go with the federation.. yes kirk is dead... But they picard. ( okay not a big deal ) Well they have janeway.. ( alright she should be in a federation prison not in command ) well.. umm... I got it

The Sisko... Yes the Ace in the hole... I know he is with the prophets, but he is stated to return some day. ( If I remember right ) And no one.. and I mean NO ONE is as Bad as the Sisko... I mean he has faced something more powerful the reapers.. and punched him in the gut.

So I will go with federation. The Sisko will come back, take command of his Pimp Hand ( the name of the defiant before Star Fleet felt that it was not appropriate to name a ship ) and drive the reapers back.
Star Trek technology is way beyond ME tech in most areas. it is much like the star trek vs battlestar discussions. Phasers >> than lasers, no contest! Federation vessels are much less dependant on mass relays too. Even with targetting ranges reduced to rediculous levels in STO, ST tech is still ahead.

Of course the real answer is that Shepard would team up with whichever Fed Captain and it would be some sort of joint win....
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I understand that it is impossible to make a thread on an MMORPG forum without the topic being veered towards everyone's pet criticisms, but I was really hoping for a discussion related to either "oops, I was a dummy" and/or something that may actually be useful to inexperienced players.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
I understand that it is impossible to make a thread on an MMORPG forum without the topic being veered towards everyone's pet criticisms, but I was really hoping for a discussion related to either "oops, I was a dummy" and/or something that may actually be useful to inexperienced players.
It is intermixed, here and there, to some small extent. Parsed as such, it could allow for the creation of a nifty little beginning FAQ that could be helpful - perhaps something here, STOwiki, or elsewhere...

...it was a valiant concept and is not a bad idea to continue the effort even if the outcome of the thread is but to gather the data for elsewhere and pray this thread disappear.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
Sorry. :/

I wish someone would have told me it would have been worth it getting a life time. Seeing that the game has gone free to play, and by the time it did I would have already earned my right to play for 100% free.

As it is right now free to play players are paid to play this game now. ( 5 dollars a month to play a game isn't to bad )
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I kinda wish someone told me that science officer is more fun to play than tactical.