Lt. Commander
# 61
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
That they always have an excuse for why they cant' do anything, ever.
That nothing they say anywhere can be trusted.
That they will go back on anything, at any time, for any reason.

That they think this kind of behavior, is acceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
I'm an on-again, off-again player, but I started playing this game shortly after launch.

It's shocking, but I didn't really "get" how to really use scan (hotkey: "V" on ground and in space) properly until I started back up recently. There are any number of missions that were horribly difficult for me just because I didn't use scan. At all. Ever. I also had a more difficult time gathering anomaly data because I wasn't using scan. Now I realize that scan will point you to the nearest anomaly or mission objective in almost every case.

I feel so stupid.

I really wish they'd included that in the tutorial now that I think about it. Anyway, what do you wish someone had told you back when you started playing? Think of this as an information thread for new players.
Many things, but three things come to mind.

- FIrst, what skills actually DO. Some of them seem vital when they aren't, and some of them seem non-vital but actually are. While you can Google and do research on it, a new player taking hours to hunt it down may often miss critical things that can be learned only by experience, making their knowledge incomplete. (Driver Coil, how I loathe thee...)

- Second, ditto for Traits. In fact, this might be even more fundamental because this is one of the first decisions a new player has to make, and can't be fixed (though being able to fix it is another story). +10 Warp Core Potential does not mean a whole lot to someone who just stumbled in the front door.

- Third - don't bother saving free rank-up ship tokens. In the beginning, I was afraid that I wouldn't get a Galaxy class ship for free because of F2P - there were many, MANY versions of the story going around. Fortunately they gave me the Galaxy class (my "minimum" ship). However, that said, I was hoping to save my free ship token for later ships, and just stumble through the game with the NX and Miranda until I hit Commander or Captain. I managed to make it to level 17 before someone told me the tokens were tier-locked. I feel a little bad for my Constitution class with how little use it saw, as I got a heavy cruiser the next day when I made Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
Yeah, I agree with this, but rather, I wish they would make it so that you could turn your old BOffs into purples. I'm rather attached to my crew that has been with me from the beginning.

That said, it doesn't matter that much. BOffs are only there to help with ground and I can pretty much face roll everything on the ground already anyway so... yeah.

Upgrading to purples would be nice though.
Ditto.

I have a core of about four or five BOffs that I could not stomach replacing. Unfortunately none are purples. I didn't even know there was a difference at the time, and I needed crew desperately.

I would like to be able to "upgrade" their traits to at least standard level. As-is I've perused the Exchange hoping to find versions of my BOffs with identical, but Superior (as opposed to Basic) traits, so that I could "upgrade" them myself with some retraining and a swap of the in-game data. Unfortunately my perusal of the Exchange has led me to believe that there are, in many cases, probably only a few dozen pre-generated BOffs to choose from when it comes right down to it. This is something that would be neat to be able to work around, really.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I wish someone had told me when I started that tribbles were an entire feature and not just random. It took me a while to figure out the system a LITTLE by myself once it dawned on me there was a pattern linking particular types of tribble with particular types of food. Imagine my surprise to see some of the first tribble breeding charts and excel sheets.

^^ Ah, things were simpler back then.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Play KDF...
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
I wish someone would have told me that all those particles and crafting supplies are still worht alot of money on the exchange if you're not into crafting.

I can't tell you how many times I dumped some valuable ones in the beginning to free up inventory space o r how many i passed by and didn't bother scanning.

I've sold anyon particles for 100k a piece on the exchange. That type of ec early game could have gone a long way.

Using the market, I made like 400k on the Exchange by level 6 since I knew how to trade stuff. I'd also rather earn 6 million EC by RA level to purchase all the Aegis ship equipment rather than flying all around the galaxy hunting particles. My time is more precious lol.

What I also did not realize during my first playthrough of the game is that it's better to sell the bonus duty officer packs gained on levelling up than to open said package. I prefer to customize my entire crew using exchange and DoffTrader channel because the 400k to 1.4 million I get from each duty officer pack is much more value than the contents of said packages .

By selling on the exchange the first Klingon duty officer pack I got at level 23 or 24, I could buy all the rare dual cannons and rare ship consoles for literally an entire fleet of Birds of Prey piloted by people I knew.

After I equipped their ships, I made them agree to give me 50% on all future profits and of course to swear the necessary fealties to me, their liege

Epic, non?
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
Many things, but three things come to mind.

- FIrst, what skills actually DO. Some of them seem vital when they aren't, and some of them seem non-vital but actually are. While you can Google and do research on it, a new player taking hours to hunt it down may often miss critical things that can be learned only by experience, making their knowledge incomplete. (Driver Coil, how I loathe thee...)

- Second, ditto for Traits. In fact, this might be even more fundamental because this is one of the first decisions a new player has to make, and can't be fixed (though being able to fix it is another story). +10 Warp Core Potential does not mean a whole lot to someone who just stumbled in the front door.

- Third - don't bother saving free rank-up ship tokens. In the beginning, I was afraid that I wouldn't get a Galaxy class ship for free because of F2P - there were many, MANY versions of the story going around. Fortunately they gave me the Galaxy class (my "minimum" ship). However, that said, I was hoping to save my free ship token for later ships, and just stumble through the game with the NX and Miranda until I hit Commander or Captain. I managed to make it to level 17 before someone told me the tokens were tier-locked. I feel a little bad for my Constitution class with how little use it saw, as I got a heavy cruiser the next day when I made Commander.
Thanks for saying that. I'm sure any new players reading this thread will appreciate the info.
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
That this would be, in actuality, a fischer price version of a major IP commercialized into a MMO. Oh, you were talking about those unknown features that are 'helpful', well, hm... eh..... I'm going to have to get back with you.

Ok, that tribbles ate your food, starting with the expensive stuff first, and reproduced in your inventory taking up bag space. Little *******s.