Lt. Commander
# 41
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I've kind of joked about how the broken spawn in Ker'rat has fostered the hatred between sides at times.

Without getting into which came first, chicken or egg - it's clear to see how the broken spawn fosters the frustration and actions of players.

A Fed is flying around doing their thing, gets involved with Borg - a KDF appears and ganks them. The Fed swears revenge. So at the next spawn, since it is broken with both Feds and KDF spawning at the KDF spawn, that Fed will join in on some revenge against the KDF that are forced to spawn there. Tada, spawn camping.

A KDF joins and is immediate spawn camped. They're either forced to not hit respawn, leave the zone altogether, try another instance, try to get away, or just hit respawn while eating and doing a Good Day to Die - Space. Depending on what they do and how they take it, that KDF may swear revenge. So, when they're flying around and see a Fed involved with the Borg - they sweep in and gank the Fed.

For some people, they will begin to take either or both entirely too seriously. Their frustration will build, and the zone chat will get interesting. It creates that odd combination of not knowing whether to laugh or to feel bad for the person. It's just a game. It's an optional part of the game. Etc, etc, etc. Yet, most people have probably been ganked to the point of being griefed or experienced spawn camping regardless of which zone they switch to...

Simply fixing the broken spawn will not completely alleviate the issue in the least. KDF ships are still built to gank and the opposing team's spawn point is a direct line from your own spawn. It could help though, it's a bug that should be fixed regardless, and if it takes some of the angst out it for those players that take it too seriously - it could make it more enjoyable for all, eh?

Course the other thing that would probably help would be the -50 Borg. Were that fixed, then three Arena/C&H might actually end up being faster than three warzones. So those primarily looking for a fight, would go there... of course though, the AFK non-respawn folks would still just sit at their computers while eating, watching TV, reading a book, etc - so perhaps even that would need to be addressed, eh?

There are people that believe that since they do not do "X" in an area, that everybody else should respect that. It's very difficult to keep track of anything like that, when you have hundreds of people that do "X" there.

By addressing the issues of the broken spawn and the -50 Borg though, it could make warzones a better place - and thus - they may become areas where a little more respect (rather than the need for revenge and trying to share the pain one has felt themselves)...

...just my 2 GPL.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Here is the thing about respect - in simple terms, there is no respect during PVP. There shouldn't be in regards to the actual PVP dynamics of it all.

Yes, respect should be given in regards to:

A) Act civil in terms of language

B) Act civil in knowing that we're all players

C) Act civil within the confines of the rules of conduct setup by CRYPTIC

Otherwise respect is meaningless in the aspect of pure PVP Zone. Its a Dog eat Dog Universe out there, and there is no room for cry babies, whiners, PVE Casual players and anything between those classifications. One just doesn't enter a PvP Warzone and not expect to get the occasional bloody nose.

Spawn camping is more of a game flaw than anything else - human by nature is deviant - folks just want to grief and laugh.

If they want to get rid of spawn camping, they need to implement safety measures within the game itself, to enforce a player penalty. Somewhere along the lines where programmers need to setup a range where violators who violate the spawn range are banned for an hour from any PVP zones. Just the way they do it for rage quitters during STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
I favor the City of Heroes approach, which is basically to have spawn points guarded by unkillable drones/satellites that insta-kill hostiles.

And if you get close enough to get pushed/pulled into one, it becomes your own fault for getting too close to the enemy spawn point.

I used to make a point of going into PvP zones in CoH and if hostiles got too close, I'd teleport them into the aggro radius of a defensive drone.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Another reason to avoid PvP in my view. There is such a huge amount of disrespect and a general lack of courtesy I often think that Gene would turn in his grave at it. Whether it is spawn camping, people queue jumping to get to something, or the incessant chat spam.

Personally, I like to play purely for the fun of it. I am not interested in fleet, or some of the other aspects of the game, and feel that my choice on that is my choice. Yes it means that I may not possess certain items, or win every accolade under the sun, but I do try to remember the principled message of Star Trek when I play.

Sadly the trolls, be they in game or in forum, will always be trolls. I say, take a deep breath and move on. At least with a game, you have the option to simply log out and do something else!
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Ker'rats broken spawn that cause different sides to spawn at the same point isn't "spawn camping"

Spawn camping involves actually moving yourself by your own choice to the other sides spawn and attacking the players as they spawn in.

In Ker'rat you have no choice. The only re-courses are to fight or leave the spawn area (cloak, full impulse).

Ker'rat is broken.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
I remember in SWG when people used to drag mobs onto you to kill you. Im used to griefing, and ive played enough FPS over the years to write a book on how much one can hate spawn camping. But while it is bad form and sportsmanship it isnt against the rules in THIS game. And sadly that is all that matters.

I dont like it, you dont have to either. But until they add more/random spawn points as i suggested 2 years + ago, or manage to somehow change all the people on the planet to drop the idea of acting like that. It wont change. Talking about it isnt going to do anything.

Spawn camping to me is distasteful but it isnt to everyone or it wouldnt happen. As much as i like to play my way, i respect other peoples right to play theirs and sometimes they conflict with one another. If someone is being off the wall rude namecalling/harassing you add-ignore them or file a ticket and have CSR do something about it.

The forums just isnt the place for it, and if it was it wouldnt be the STO GD forum, it would be something like ten forward.

That is the large and short of it.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I don't know ... -- for long months prior to F2P , Ker'rat was a place players went to harvest loot (to sell or for personal needs) .
There was very little-to-no PVP to be had .
I was attacked there once in a blue moon .
There are more active Klingon players now. That's why you're getting attacked more often than you used to.

To all the Feds out there, I'm going to let you in on a little conventional wisdom: If you're really serious about being the main character in your own personal Star Trek adventure, you need to accept the universal constant that you will be attacked by Klingons. There is no Captain in any series that could escape this fact. Voyager was even attacked by Klingons. That's how inexorable this truth is.

The Klingons are not nice. They are not interested in playing fair. They will show you neither mercy nor respect that you haven't earned. They are here to kill you. And if you make yourself available to be killed by them, then either defend yourself and earn the respect you desire or run back to ESD with your tail between your nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen107 View Post
No it is not ridiculous, EVERYONE should have the right to play the game as they see fit, if you want to go around and PVP in the warzones with others that want to PVP fine. However if I want to do a quick run through do the objectives three times, and get my rewards and bugger off, then that should be my right as well. Without any smack talk, I don't talk smack and never will, calling someone a moron, ******, and a bunch of things with #$#$#$# in it, is NOT acceptable, in an stretch,

There USED to be a measure of respect in this game, sadly i have seen it dwindle since F2P, and that disheartens me. NOT EVERYONE PLAYS PVP OR PVE THE SAME WAY
You don't have the right to do anything. Your have the privilege of playing this game. You waltzed into a PvP zone willingly, and so deal with the consequences. The name of the game in a warzone is kill the enemy. The enemy is not your friend, and respect is earned.

You got killed in a PvP zone and are now here, griping about how someone spawn camped you. Sorry, as I said before, you asked for it by going into the PvP zone. The warzones, to my knowledge, are no holds barred areas.

People really need to get over themselves. The silly things people think they have rights to these days is astonishing. Like I said, access to this game is a privilege you may pay for (as it's F2P now) and there's plenty of other PvE friendly areas you can farm.

Edit: Also, by your logic, I have the right to spawn camp you to insanity
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz
There are more active Klingon players now. That's why you're getting attacked more often than you used to.

To all the Feds out there, I'm going to let you in on a little conventional wisdom: If you're really serious about being the main character in your own personal Star Trek adventure, you need to accept the universal constant that you will be attacked by Klingons. There is no Captain in any series that could escape this fact. Voyager was even attacked by Klingons. That's how inexorable this truth is.

The Klingons are not nice. They are not interested in playing fair. They will show you neither mercy nor respect that you haven't earned. They are here to kill you. And if you make yourself available to be killed by them, then either defend yourself and earn the respect you desire or run back to ESD with your tail between your nacelles.
This is the reason they will eventually become underlings of the Gorn, who in turn will join the federation.

Think you've taken control over the Gorn? Shows how little you know XD

In all seriousness: If someone would actually roleplay a klingon, what you describe is not how they would be.

True Klingons have a very complex sense of honor, and only attack under given circumstances, after a very specific rulebook.

The klingons you describe is what Cryptic has turned them into.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz

One of my fav sayings is "You cant make someone respect you, but you can make yourself worth respecting."