Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
Eng/Sci - unbeliveable survival, Excelent heals/dps depending on build.
Would you mind elaborating on the builds? I was leaning towards Eng/Sci yesterday but ended up dithering too much to make a decision.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I'll admit I didn't really put a lot of thought into 'builds' when I chose my career and ship class - I went with Cruisers to get the classic ships from the show, and I went with Tactical because I thought it looked silly for a command officer to be wearing anything other than red, since we were in a post TNG environment.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Science or Engineer in an escort is so strong it is ridiculous. Loading up those captain powers in that type of ship is really special.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thissler
Science or Engineer in an escort is so strong it is ridiculous. Loading up those captain powers in that type of ship is really special.
They're strong in that they can take a lot of punishment and keep going, yes. However, they will never be able to cause more burst damage or DPS than a properly-built tac escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
They're strong in that they can take a lot of punishment and keep going, yes. However, they will never be able to cause more burst damage or DPS than a properly-built tac escort.
That depends on the situation.

In PVP for example, I can kill faster than Tac Escorts with my alpha strike sometimes because if my target pops, say, RSP, a Tac/Escort can't do much, but I can SNB it, along with all their other shield and hull resist buffs. In fact, I'll often time SNB to hit right before my beam overload and HYTs are about to impact.

In something like a STF on a Tactical Cube, while an equally skilled and geared Tac/Escort can put out more burst and more dps than me, I can still put out more damage often because I can simply last longer with Dampening Field and a Photonic Fleet helping out, as well as using SNB to strip off offensive buffs on it.

In regards to that earlier list someone posted, I'd put Sci/Escort higher on dps than Engineer/Escort (I also have an Engineer Escort, and I definitely kill slower on it despite very similar setups.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
That depends on the situation.

In PVP for example, I can kill faster than Tac Escorts with my alpha strike sometimes because if my target pops, say, RSP, a Tac/Escort can't do much, but I can SNB it, along with all their other shield and hull resist buffs. In fact, I'll often time SNB to hit right before my beam overload and HYTs are about to impact.

In something like a STF on a Tactical Cube, while an equally skilled and geared Tac/Escort can put out more burst and more dps than me, I can still put out more damage often because I can simply last longer with Dampening Field and a Photonic Fleet helping out, as well as using SNB to strip off offensive buffs on it.

In regards to that earlier list someone posted, I'd put Sci/Escort higher on dps than Engineer/Escort (I also have an Engineer Escort, and I definitely kill slower on it despite very similar setups.)
Most of what you say is true, except that a sciscort cannot perform an alpha strike. They lack Attack Pattern Alpha, a tac captain ability that the alpha strike is named after. They can use Omega, TT and a few other decent buffs in an Omega Strike, but the DPS isn't quite as high since Alpha is the best damage buff in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
Most of what you say is true, except that a sciscort cannot perform an alpha strike. They lack Attack Pattern Alpha, a tac captain ability that the alpha strike is named after.
BS. Alpha strike is a military term that simply means you throw all you have into the first (-> alpha) strike (-> strike) and try to cause maximum damage from which the target can not recover, thus forgoing the conclusion of the fight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
Tact/Escort - High DPS, low survival
Eng/Escort - DPS+Survival, not as high dps as tact escortcan def take more damage.
Sci/Escort - Can Debuff enemys to death, use SNB to counter other ships, hood team buffs.
Tact/Cruiser - Good DPS, Survivalbility
Eng/Cruiser - Low DPS, High survival
Sci/Cruiser - ok DPS, Ok Survival, Kills in pvp
Tact/Sci - can be unstopable requires Very good skills and specific playstyle
Eng/Sci - unbeliveable survival, Excelent heals/dps depending on build.
Sci/Sci - Excelent survival, Team buffs, Super powerful DPS/heals depending on build.

IN ORDER OF DPS: (T=Tact, E=Engineer, S=Science officer, Esc=escort, Cru=Cruiser, SS=Sci Ship)

T/Esc
E/Esc
T/SS
S/Esc
T/Cru
E/SS
S/SS
S/Cru
E/Cru

IN ORDER OF SURVIVAL:

E/SS
E/Cru
S/Cru
S/SS
T/Cru
T/SS
E/Esc
S/Esc
T/Esc
Nice summary!

In fact two weeks ago i needed something like this, lol.
Now one of my characters (tac) flys a Sci ship and i absolutely love it. Dependent on BO setup it can survive almost anything and with a slightly different setup it can be a beast in Combat. (PvE and PvP)
And the best thing about it: it is pure fun!

Thats what i love about STO, there are so much possibilities and combinations of which every single one of them makes sense for a certain type of player!


Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1blind
BS. Alpha strike is a military term that simply means you throw all you have into the first (-> alpha) strike (-> strike) and try to cause maximum damage from which the target can not recover, thus forgoing the conclusion of the fight.
This. The term alpha strike has long been used before STO came out.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 PM.