Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Tier Revamp Proposal.
02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
For quite some time now many people have had issues with the current ship tier system. It's also becoming apparent from the C-store that the develoeprs are having issues coming up with new ship layouts (or knowing where to place them in the tier system). My idea is to basically revamp the entire system with the addition of 2 new ship items (the warp core and computer core), these items are responsable for the base stats of a ship. Ships would still get unlocked for use at the same levels as now, however, players would not be forced to change ships all the time as they rank up.

I've created the idea as an image so the system can be explained better than me writing a wall of text:-

Ship Tier Revamp Idea

This is a WiP idea and some stats are placeholders (not tuned for balance). I apologise to the Klingons for using Starfleet ships for thisidea, it would port over the Klingon ships quite easily.

I know this revamp would require some serious work, but, if done correctly, it would open up the players choice of ships (which many have been screaming for) as well as open up many new possabilities to the developers for new items aswell as make it easier to create new C-Store ships and items. Using this system would give way more leeway for future expansions of content as well.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-29-2012, 07:48 AM
A thought I have would be perhaps to divide engines into 2 catagories, warp coil and impulse deck. This could have a knock on of potentially opening up crafting to use the commodity warp coil in making engine parts
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Interesting idea. I like the general thrust of returning C-Store variants to something more cosmetic, and the concept of getting more playability out of lower tier ships as that would improve the overall experience of captaining your favorite starship throughout the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
A thought I have would be perhaps to divide engines into 2 catagories, warp coil and impulse deck. This could have a knock on of potentially opening up crafting to use the commodity warp coil in making engine parts
It could certainly be cool, my only fear is that adding to many system could get confusing, currently the console slots are used for that kind of thing.

I have many ideas for a revamp of crafting and certainly crafting warp cores and requiring different componany types to get the buffs and warp speed you want would really enrich the system (something similar to Saga or Ryzoms crafting system). I'm pretty sure J-man is looking at crafting right now, so didn't want to go to much indepth into my ideas for revamping that system!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
For quite some time now many people have had issues with the current ship tier system. It's also becoming apparent from the C-store that the develoeprs are having issues coming up with new ship layouts (or knowing where to place them in the tier system). My idea is to basically revamp the entire system with the addition of 2 new ship items (the warp core and computer core), these items are responsable for the base stats of a ship. Ships would still get unlocked for use at the same levels as now, however, players would not be forced to change ships all the time as they rank up.

I've created the idea as an image so the system can be explained better than me writing a wall of text:-

Ship Tier Revamp Idea

This is a WiP idea and some stats are placeholders (not tuned for balance). I apologise to the Klingons for using Starfleet ships for thisidea, it would port over the Klingon ships quite easily.

I know this revamp would require some serious work, but, if done correctly, it would open up the players choice of ships (which many have been screaming for) as well as open up many new possabilities to the developers for new items aswell as make it easier to create new C-Store ships and items. Using this system would give way more leeway for future expansions of content as well.
I very, very, very much enjoyed reviewing your grand plan to revamp the game mechanics. I feel a system such as yours, with a few tweaks and adjustments would overall be a better gaming experience. It also opens up the doors for more crafting, more items, better ship diversity and more customization.

I can think of several issues your design solves in one foul swoop. If anything, I thank you for taking the time to put that presentation together! I hope that it gets some attention and positive feedback! You have my support in-so-far-as: at least looking it over as plausible!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-29-2012, 08:10 AM
A very interesting and comprehensive idea.

I like the dual system slots idea. I've often wondered what hapened to the concept of science ships having better deflectors than other classes.

However, I thing your plan is just a little off the mark for what I'd like to see in a ship tier revamp.

Generally speeking lower tier ships are smaller. For that reason I don't mind them having fewer slots for weapons and consoles. However I really dislike that they are so limited in Boff slots.

I think that given the existing limit on the rank to which you can promote your Boffs. All ships should have if not an end game Boff layout, at least a Commander slot for their "specialty" and Lt slots in each other area.

I also like the console and Boff layout being tied to ship class. It gives some variation between ships in the same branch (For example the Nebula and Intrepid retrofits, play very differently even both being science ships).

All and all I think an optimal solution might involve your solution, minus the computer core, and instead just give every ship an end-game ready Boff layout.

[edit]
After re-reading and rethinking. I like the computer cores as well. Tack on an addendum that computer cores don't alter Boff stations at all and give every ship a Boff layout of
at least:
1 x Commander, 3 x Lieutenant
and at most:
1x Commander, 1X Lt Commander, 2x Lieutenant, 1x Ensign

and it handles everything I'd want out of a ship revamp and more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
I thank you for taking the time to put that presentation together!!
While not nearly as important as the mechanics of the ideas, I would like to add a big tip o' the hat for the presentation style and design of the graphic. It's slick looking.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I like this idea very much. It brings a lot of customization to the ships that is currently lacking in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Warp cores as a separate module like impulse, deflector and shields is something they should've added from day one. Suricata, I love you.

...But don't get your hopes up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I've got no complaints with this idea. I'm all for the devs taking a look at it.

Is there a way you can save it in PDF format? It'd be easier to read than a photo. Store is in something like dropbox and share the link here.