Lt. Commander
# 131
04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffout
Hello

I've been quite interested in torpboat myself for some time. As in process of gathering CP for B'rel i've planned to start with poor man's setup:

Breen set
3x rapid reload transphasic torps
1x cluster transphasic torps
2x transphasic mine
transphasic projectile damage tac consoles.
This is also something I've thought about.

The Transphasic Cluster is something everyone always uses, so it's best to use it in virtually any loadout. Can we have more than one?

The thing is, I also rely heavily on other torpedo types as well, mainly to fill the gaps between THY and Tspread. Yes, I can boost Transphasic damage, but I'd rather also have the ability to fire a Tricobalt and Hargh'peng etc with a significant boost as well. So even if I use Breen items, I'd use Warhead Yield consoles instead of Transphasic (or Trasnphasic, or whatever Cryptic calls them).

I like my Transphasics a lot, but I tend not to load more than 2x Rapid Fire Transphasic & the Breen Cluster... and if I deploy mines, they tend to be Chroniton, Quantum, or Tricobalt (or Breen Cluster, naturally) instead of using Transphasic mine launchers. I'd much rather have a Torpedo launcher aft to fire as I am going out of 10km range.
Lt. Commander
# 132
04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Buffout: I would think that build using 3x rapid fire transphasics would leave you with cooldown problems. Have you had any success with that build? Because I am unsure if you're going to be able to get enough damage on target.

edit: In other news, I went back to viral matrix in my Ltc Science spot. Much more useful than scramble sensors. Not quite so much fun, though!

种种种种种种种种种

I.K.S. Valkyrja, B'rel Retrofit

Kills since last loss (repeats not listed): USS Nikola Tesla, USS Excession, USS Orkulus, USS Slughome VI, USS Java, USS Aquila, USS House of Usher, USS Achilles, USS Van Nassau, USS Stalingrad, USS Iron Maiden, USS Anslinger, USS Momus, USS Amaterasu, USS Slovakia, USS Annabell, USS Hyperion, USS Davie, USS Saratoga /A, USS Liberation, USS Accra, USS Majestic, USS Silent, USS Night of Tears, USS Kendall /X, USS Heisenberg, USS Kratos, USS Simple /D, USS Lairds, USS Memento Mori, USS Cyclone /S, USS Astartes, USS November, USS Bastogne, USS Zeal, USS Feelgood, USS Flying Dutchman, USS Clunge Gunge, USS Excalibur 1 /D, USS Pico /NX, USS Ursus 1, USS Ghost Chili, USS Advanced, USS Vallient, USS Addo of Nex, USS N.B.A., USS Astraea, USS Defiance

Lifetime Losses: 1 (lag/disconnect)
Lt. Commander
# 133
04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Cooldowns are definitely an issue with copies of the same torpedo type. You can get away with it if you run one fore & run the copycat torpedo launcher aft. Otherwise, you're going to lock yourself out with multiple copies of the same thing.

Now, normal Transphasics might not actually be on the same timer as Rapid Fire since the name is different... but I've never cared enough to test it out.

If we had multiple types of Chronitons, I might care. Non-Quantum Quantums? Sign me up! For slow-loading Transphasics? I don't really care enough.
Lt. Commander
# 134
04-30-2012, 06:02 PM
This thread needs a good write up / guide making from all the great information in it....

anyone up for a challenge??
Lt. Commander
# 135
04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffout
Hello

I've been quite interested in torpboat myself for some time. As in process of gathering CP for B'rel i've planned to start with poor man's setup:

Breen set
3x rapid reload transphasic torps
2x transphasic mine

All either from mission or gathered as loot (nothing fancy as XII). Boff setup primally tac oriented since i didn't tag any science skills besides shield ones - with beta 3 dispersal (yes I know it sucks but still it's the only ships which it is not somewhat useless), omega I and 2x Tacteam 2x THighYeald. Scramble sensors, viral or GW - rest healskills.

Ker'rat is my point of destination - there gonna test it out - how much fun can be accomplished and how many feds rage . Only after that will take into consideration spending more on B'rel for already mentioned here build:
KGH XII
Bioneural
Aceton assimilation
Quantiums XI+
Topredo damage consoles
maybe harpeng

But that's a long way to go. Lastly anyone tried B'rel with reman set + plasma THY ? Any sense grinding vault missions?.
While the Breen set may be much easier to get, you're really hurting yourself by going with torps that will overlap on cooldowns as well as having lower burst damage. You want to hit their shields hard enough to bring them down quickly and then start to work on their hull, not rely on transphasics to do damage through their shields.

You should also ditch one instance of Tac Team. You shouldn't be uncloaked long enough to ever need two instances of it. If the problem is just that you don't have anything else to fill the ensign tac slot, swap out your second tac officer. The science abilities are far more useful. They can let you jam a target meaning they won't even see what's coming, give you Polarize Hull to keep you from being tractored (which also means you don't need AtP: Omega), and a lot more utility than you'll get out of tac. From tactical officers I'd say you more or less want torp buffs & that's it. Beta dispersal pattern is pretty questionable too given how mobile PVP tends to be. Gravity Well has never been useful to me except very rarely as a way to force someone to pop a movement cooldown, but even that's only marginally useful.

Keep checking your DOff missions to see if you can get a Hargh'peng. It has a long cooldown & doesn't work with torp buff skills, but it's still worth the slot. It hits hard, has its own cooldown, does radiation damage straight to their hull, and when that expires it hits them with a second explosion straight to their hull. That secondary explosion has been the killing blow for me often enough that I'm glad I picked it up.

One console you should definitely look at grabbing is the Barrier Field Generator from the Phalanx. When you get decloaked & have half a dozen ships chasing you, nothing's better at saving your squishy hull from going pop.
Lt. Commander
# 136
05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Well that's pretty much what I found out after completing the gear. Never really had more than one torp or a mine launcher on any of my ships so I didn't really knew how this stuff works. That's also why I was so eager to finally try it out.

What I got is instead of hit&run ship a torpedo constant firing slugger. With some torpedo reload Doffs I was able to toss that lemon every 2 - 4 seconds ^^. My ship didn't even cloak couse the firing rate was almost like energy weapon. Bummer.

Correction:

Breen set
1xHar'peng
1xtransphasic / chroniton
1xquantium / tricobalt
2x transphasic mine

The bright side is this stuff is dirt cheap in exchange. Especially mines, but no surprises here concidering how useless they are. Havng spare XI KGH set I'll most likely switch to full torp setup with torp damage consoles... sigh. Well to bad couse dispersal beta III looks really impressive ^^.

The question is can i drop standard shield consoles and get something like flowcaps, partickles or countermeasures consoles?
Lt. Commander
# 137
05-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Countermeasure would be good if you don't have any universal consoles to throw in science slots. Pick up the Borg universal console from the mission Assimilation in the Undine chain.
Lt. Commander
# 138
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallowOni
Countermeasure would be good if you don't have any universal consoles to throw in science slots. Pick up the Borg universal console from the mission Assimilation in the Undine chain.
I am always torn on what to place in the science console slots. Right now, I just slot my borg console in there, and a couple stealth consoles.

Are there any which would (noticably) increase the effectiveness of my Jam Sensors, or Viral Matrix?

种种种种种种种种种

Kills since last loss (repeats not listed): USS Nikola Tesla, USS Excession, USS Orkulus, USS Slughome VI, USS Java, USS Aquila, USS House of Usher, USS Achilles, USS Van Nassau, USS Stalingrad, USS Iron Maiden, USS Anslinger, USS Momus, USS Amaterasu, USS Slovakia, USS Annabell, USS Hyperion, USS Davie, USS Saratoga /A, USS Liberation, USS Accra, USS Majestic, USS Silent, USS Night of Tears, USS Kendall /X, USS Heisenberg, USS Kratos, USS Simple /D, USS Lairds, USS Memento Mori, USS Cyclone /S, USS Astartes, USS November, USS Bastogne, USS Zeal, USS Feelgood, USS Flying Dutchman, USS Clunge Gunge, USS Excalibur 1 /D, USS Pico /NX, USS Ursus 1, USS Ghost Chili, USS Advanced, USS Vallient, USS Addo of Nex, USS N.B.A., USS Astraea, USS Defiance

Lt. Commander
# 139
05-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Countermeasure consoles add to the amount of damage your target can take before Jam Sensors breaks.

To my knowledge there's no Subspace Decompiler console, which is what would improve the disable length of Viral Matrix.
Lt. Commander
# 140
05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
I am always torn on what to place in the science console slots. Right now, I just slot my borg console in there, and a couple stealth consoles.

Are there any which would (noticably) increase the effectiveness of my Jam Sensors, or Viral Matrix?

种种种种种种种种种

So where do these kills take place? Cap and Holds or arenas? What one of those is your favorite?
Closed Thread