Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 201
06-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catliketyping View Post
I'm sci too.

I run a lot of speed & aux, with minimum weapon & shield. the hyper engine runs efficient at high speed, which also provides the boost to defense due to speed. I use rule 62, Borg universal, and a RCS console in engineering, so I need the speed.

between efficient Letheans & the aegis engine (efficient at high settings), I get enough aux even if the setting itself is not max.
Defense caps at impulse 24, which is extremely easy to achieve (especially in an escort).

The only reason I keep my I have points in Engine, is so that I can make a quick escape when I get decloaked.

I use Borg engines for the 2-set bonus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by notapwefan View Post
FEDs are getting clever now kolbrandr, and they tank their hulls or support each other. It is getting harder to pick up lone targets these days

and I am thinking to fire Viral Matrix on my victim to shut them off while my torps are on their way. Is this ability strong enough?
Not from my experience. I kept hitting people with Viral Matrix with some Doffs slotted for Viral Matrix, and it doesn't seem to last very long.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
How far out should I be starting my attack runs? Should I use or avoid overrun tactics? What's too close for firing tricobalts?
I tend to fire at around 2.5-9km. But, I have a bio-neural warhead, so I have to fire at a minimum distance of 2.5km. I don't mind firing that far away, because the warhead usually has decent shields.

I overrun rarely. Normally, I turn around and drop some aft torps on them while I'm waiting on torps and THY3 to cooldown. Then turn around again and fire another buffed volley.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 556
# 202
06-27-2012, 09:26 AM
why run Borg, though? is the set bonus that useful?

aegis engines also provide a 5% bonus to defense, aside from being hyper.
Nessia (KDF Sci), IKS Aluminum Falcon (B'rel Retrofit)

Swimsuits: People will pay almost any price to let their characters show a little skin... any price except joining the KDF.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 298
# 203
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catliketyping View Post
why run Borg, though? is the set bonus that useful?

aegis engines also provide a 5% bonus to defense, aside from being hyper.
Besides giving a bonus to def. and offense. the main reason to run the Borg set is for the heal. Aegis just can't keep up anymore.. its archaic and outmoded lol. Seriously tho Aegis is no longer viable and it blows pretty hard.

-For a Klingon, the best layout /set-up you can have atm imo, is this- Borg console, Borg engines, Borg Deflector, and KHG Shields Mk XII. This will get ya to Denver.



Yeah, that's right.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 556
# 204
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adon333 View Post
Besides giving a bonus to def. and offense. the main reason to run the Borg set is for the heal. Aegis just can't keep up anymore.. its archaic and outmoded lol. Seriously tho Aegis is no longer viable and it blows pretty hard.

-For a Klingon, the best layout /set-up you can have atm imo, is this- Borg console, Borg engines, Borg Deflector, and KHG Shields Mk XII. This will get ya to Denver.
well, I'll look at the Borg set bonuses, but the Aegis engine bonus to defense seems like a tangible benefit for my B'rel. (my Hegh'ta is a different beast.) I don't run any other Aegis piece, but I do like the engine because it has a separate benefit on its own.

I'm running KHG deflector and shields for the 25% torpedo damage bonus, and not at all for shields or sci deflector bonuses.

any bonus to defense that isn't a bonus to the actual defense score isn't very valuable to me.
Nessia (KDF Sci), IKS Aluminum Falcon (B'rel Retrofit)

Swimsuits: People will pay almost any price to let their characters show a little skin... any price except joining the KDF.

Last edited by catliketyping; 06-27-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 205
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catliketyping View Post
why run Borg, though? is the set bonus that useful?

aegis engines also provide a 5% bonus to defense, aside from being hyper.
The hull heal proc is pretty nice. I didn't find the 5% defense was all that beneficial. I opted for the hull heal due ot the lack of shields.

Here's the differences between the two:
Borg Engines: http://www.stowiki.org/Assimilated_S...nswarp_Engines

Aegis Engines: http://www.stowiki.org/Aegis_Hyper-I...mpulse_Engines

The +5 to Engine power means I can move 5 energy to Auxiliary to boost my Sci and Eng BOFF abilities.

Again, to get reach the maximum defense cap requires an impulse speed of 24. I believe, last time I checked, my B'Rel was getting up to Impulse 32. The only reason I have that much speed is so I can get away in emergency situations.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 265
# 206
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapwefan View Post
and I am thinking to fire Viral Matrix on my victim to shut them off while my torps are on their way. Is this ability strong enough?
I tried Viral Matrix for a while, and here are the problems I've found with it:

1. It takes too long for the VM ''torpedo'' to get to the target. My charges hit before the VM usually, and if my strike fails and they start chasing or something, they are usually too fast for the VM ''torpedo'' to catch them.

2. The systems being shutdown don't have enough effect for what I need done. I've gotten more use out of Jam Sensors for disabling their ability to counterattack.

3. For it to be really effective, you need to launch the VM, then wait to launch your attack until it lands. This blows your element of surprise.

This is what I've found in my time using it. If anybody has some tips to make it more effective, please chime in. I started running Grav well in it's place, and strongly considering Tyken's rift.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I.K.S. Valkyrja, B'rel Retrofit

Kills since last loss (repeats not listed): USS Nikola Tesla, USS Excession, USS Orkulus, USS Slughome VI, USS Java, USS Aquila, USS House of Usher, USS Achilles, USS Van Nassau, USS Stalingrad, USS Iron Maiden, USS Anslinger, USS Momus, USS Amaterasu, USS Slovakia, USS Annabell, USS Hyperion, USS Davie, USS Saratoga /A, USS Liberation, USS Accra, USS Majestic, USS Silent, USS Night of Tears, USS Kendall /X, USS Heisenberg, USS Kratos, USS Simple /D, USS Lairds, USS Memento Mori, USS Cyclone /S, USS Astartes, USS November, USS Bastogne, USS Zeal, USS Feelgood, USS Flying Dutchman, USS Clunge Gunge, USS Excalibur 1 /D, USS Pico /NX, USS Ursus 1, USS Ghost Chili, USS Advanced, USS Vallient, USS Addo of Nex, USS N.B.A., USS Astraea, USS Defiance, USS Seshomaru, USS Hors-Service, USS Login Sin, USS Dortmund, USS James Maxwell, USS Ranger, USS Zeus, USS Vendetta, USS Fontainebleau, USS Colt, USS Edna, USS Ticonderoga, USS Acid Rain, USS Hell Strike, USS Thule, USS Eleanor II, USS Umbrella, USS McHaggis IX, USS Ithaca, USS Leonard Wood, USS Atlantis, USS Warpstorm, USS Andromeda, USS Nefarious /E, USS Ranger IV, USS Hellcat-Escort, USS Seeker, USS Barael's Blade, USS Salerna, USS Nova, USS Indefatigable V, USS Akira, USS Shadow of Greed, USS Morningstar /E, USS Catalina, USS Cavalier, USS Cartago, USS Humboldt, USS Bellerophon, USS Freinet, USS Minnehaha, USS Phoenix, USS Sorcery, USS Tiberius, USS Valkyrie, USS Gene Roddenberry, USS Mindal, USS Broken Arrow II, USS Merlin, USS Lord Apophis, USS Liberty, USS Sakura, USS Moon, USS Awesome, USS Waxahachi, USS Serenity Valley, USS David Hume, USS Ronan II, USS Nordic, USS Dark Horizon, USS Enterprised, USS Dreadnought, USS Lancaster, USS Copper Dragon, USS Ol Painless, USS Lost Cause, USS Avenger, USS Independence, USS Yorktown, USS Balsac, USS John Henry /B, USS Acheron, USS Bene Gesserit, USS Bernina, USS Shinigami, USS V.X.L.O.R.N.M.E., USS Blade /D, USS Xanadu, USS Ostrom, USS Mac Arthur, USS Twisted Endz, USS Russia, USS JaneWay, USS Antesgnami, USS Dorchester, USS White Knight, USS Laura, USS Konoha, USS Maribor, USS Melbourne, USS Panay, USS Bloodseeker, USS Absolution, USS KB3YJU, USS Imperious, USS Knuckle Sandwich, USS Tantalus

How to make this list (Rules):

1. The outcome must be the result of the first encounter in our respective ships.
2. I may not ambush you at your warp-in.
3. I must wipe this list if the IKS Valkyrja is destroyed in an engagement which meets the criteria in rule #1.
4. Similar to #2, if our first encounter is me warping into Kerrat, only to find myself in a blue cloud with a countdown timer, I will not wipe the list, so do not ask.

Last edited by kolbrandr; 06-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,260
# 207
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrandr View Post
I tried Viral Matrix for a while, and here are the problems I've found with it:

1. It takes too long for the VM ''torpedo'' to get to the target. My charges hit before the VM usually, and if my strike fails and they start chasing or something, they are usually too fast for the VM ''torpedo'' to catch them.

2. The systems being shutdown don't have enough effect for what I need done. I've gotten more use out of Jam Sensors for disabling their ability to counterattack.

3. For it to be really effective, you need to launch the VM, then wait to launch your attack until it lands. This blows your element of surprise.

This is what I've found in my time using it. If anybody has some tips to make it more effective, please chime in. I started running Grav well in it's place, and strongly considering Tyken's rift.
I've been running Grav Well alot on my Sci B'Rel Torpedo Boat. Before that, I was using Tykien's Rift, then Grav Well, then Photonic Shockwave.

Tykien's Rift: From my observations of target reactions, I don't think the power drain from TR is noticeable. The Grav pull is nice, as well as the monstrous graphic effect, which I like since it is a graphical distraction. But the hull damage is small and the pull isn't as strong as...

Gravity Well: Very simple, straight up ability. Cause a Grav Well, it has a much stronger pull than TR as well as better hull damage. Very good in pulling a clump of targets together than TR. Fighters, mines, nearby enemy ships. Different looking graphic than TR but still does the same trick as a distraction. The hull damage isn't of course pure ownage, but it will destroy fighters caught by it.

Photonic Shockwave: I switched out of GW for this. I was interested in the stun to set up an opponent for the incoming Bio-Neural. But even with max aux, aux battery usage, and point blank range, I notice no "stun" like effect on my targets. I've put the max +9 levels into the skillbox. I've asked around for help in how to make it work but nobody knows the answers despite some people say it's OP. So, since it's useless, the Wiki is useless on this ability, and the in-game UI help is utter trash, I'm going back to Grav Well.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 208
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
I've been running Grav Well alot on my Sci B'Rel Torpedo Boat. Before that, I was using Tykien's Rift, then Grav Well, then Photonic Shockwave.

Tykien's Rift: From my observations of target reactions, I don't think the power drain from TR is noticeable. The Grav pull is nice, as well as the monstrous graphic effect, which I like since it is a graphical distraction. But the hull damage is small and the pull isn't as strong as...

Gravity Well: Very simple, straight up ability. Cause a Grav Well, it has a much stronger pull than TR as well as better hull damage. Very good in pulling a clump of targets together than TR. Fighters, mines, nearby enemy ships. Different looking graphic than TR but still does the same trick as a distraction. The hull damage isn't of course pure ownage, but it will destroy fighters caught by it.

Photonic Shockwave: I switched out of GW for this. I was interested in the stun to set up an opponent for the incoming Bio-Neural. But even with max aux, aux battery usage, and point blank range, I notice no "stun" like effect on my targets. I've put the max +9 levels into the skillbox. I've asked around for help in how to make it work but nobody knows the answers despite some people say it's OP. So, since it's useless, the Wiki is useless on this ability, and the in-game UI help is utter trash, I'm going back to Grav Well.
Have you tried Tacheyon Beam? I switched to that and it does a fairly good job of stripping some shields so that the torpedoes have better penetration. With +6 in flow capacitors, +16 and +17 from khg and borg sets, and a +28 flow capacitor console, I can drain about -416 per shield face per pulse (a maximum of 10 pulses). If I throw in another +26 flow capacitor console, I can get -461.


In an unrelated question to everyone else, I was thinking of picking up a sub-T5 ship during this weekend's 20% sale on ships. But, I'm tying to think of a good console to use.

I was thinking of an Aceton Assimilator or Theta Radiation Vent. Thoughts? Any other consoles I should consider? It would be ideal if it was not a console and a device or weapon. But, the quad cannons are useless to me, and I already have the bio-neural warhead.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 265
# 209
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I've really enjoyed using the Barrier Field Generator. Great for getaways in pvp. Not so useful in pve.

Have you been using that Tachyon beam in pve or pvp? I can see it being very useful in pve, but I'm afraid that in pvp people would see their shield facings going down and start using shield boosters/hardeners. Since tachyon beam never really drops the shields entirely, I would be worried that I might actually get less penetration than before (It already takes x4 damage to drop shields with torpedoes).
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 210
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrandr View Post
I've really enjoyed using the Barrier Field Generator. Great for getaways in pvp. Not so useful in pve.

Have you been using that Tachyon beam in pve or pvp? I can see it being very useful in pve, but I'm afraid that in pvp people would see their shield facings going down and start using shield boosters/hardeners. Since tachyon beam never really drops the shields entirely, I would be worried that I might actually get less penetration than before (It already takes x4 damage to drop shields with torpedoes).
I thought of that using the Barrier Field Generator too, but I was looking for something that I could use offensively, as I don't have to flee that often. I was thinking of the Aceton Assimilator, because it drains all of their systems, yes? Meaning, less energy damage, less shield resists, lowered impulse speed, and weaker aux-boosted abilities.

I use Tachyon Beam in PVE and PVP. I'd have to say it works pretty well in both if you time it right.

I don't see anything wrong with them hitting their shield heals before my torpedoes have hit them, as it means their shield heals will be on cooldown sooner. If I wanted to be really sneaky about it, I'd jam their sensors then drain them. Then wait until they initiate their shield heals, wait some more, then buff and attack.

Also, I typically use it when other ships are involved, when they are distracted by incoming fire and I partially negate their shield heals.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM.