Captain
# 241
10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm thinking of swapping out my Tacheyon Beam 3 for a Tractor Beam Repulsors 2.

Any opinion on it? Tacheyon Beam 3 isn't bad in STF or PvP, but I'm wondering if the damage from Tractor Beam Repulsors 2 would help finish off something I've almost killed but was waiting for my torps to come off of cooldown.

Does it decloak you and put cloak on cooldown? Or, does it only decloak you for the duration of TBR?
Commander
# 242
10-20-2012, 02:39 AM
A Question on cooldowns.
I thought that there wasa global cooldown on all projectiles? Is it limited to just that type of Projectile? What about mines? How do they all tie up.

I jsut ask because I'm thinking of going with a B'rel in STF's, and I don't want ot get into one to find out I've brought a dead weight. Like the otehr day when I tried out a new build on my current ship, and found out it sucked. Luckilly I had the components to roll back in the middle of the STF. Thats not quite possible with a brand new ship build.

I really wish there was a simple unkillable target for weapons testing in orbit around Qu'nos and Earth. Maybe the foundry could be used to create one.
Captain
# 243
10-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvee1 View Post
A Question on cooldowns.
I thought that there wasa global cooldown on all projectiles? Is it limited to just that type of Projectile? What about mines? How do they all tie up.

I jsut ask because I'm thinking of going with a B'rel in STF's, and I don't want ot get into one to find out I've brought a dead weight. Like the otehr day when I tried out a new build on my current ship, and found out it sucked. Luckilly I had the components to roll back in the middle of the STF. Thats not quite possible with a brand new ship build.

I really wish there was a simple unkillable target for weapons testing in orbit around Qu'nos and Earth. Maybe the foundry could be used to create one.
For testing out loadouts and how efficiently they recharge/cooldown, I suggest doing 'defense of empire' missions, or a quick foundry mission that just involves mowing down a few waves of enemies. They're not useful for testing your actual firepower, because those are weak NPCs. . .but they're useful for testing the rest of the build, as well as ship maneuverability, etc.
Captain
# 244
10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
A Question on cooldowns.

I was under the impression each type had a specific cooldown it shared with other torpedoes of the same type, with no all-torpedo global cooldown. I could be wrong, though. . .I don't mix-and-match torpedo types very often, so I don't have recent experience with it. However, if there was a global cooldown, I don't think torpedo boat builds would work, as most of your torpedos would spend a lot of time in cooldown. Most torp boat builds involve 2-3 different kinds of torpedoes, at least.
Commander
# 245
10-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
I was under the impression each type had a specific cooldown it shared with other torpedoes of the same type, with no all-torpedo global cooldown. I could be wrong, though. . .I don't mix-and-match torpedo types very often, so I don't have recent experience with it. However, if there was a global cooldown, I don't think torpedo boat builds would work, as most of your torpedos would spend a lot of time in cooldown. Most torp boat builds involve 2-3 different kinds of torpedoes, at least.
I'm in the same boat.. never having used a mix of Torps. I have used a mix of Torps and Mines and there seemed to be a clash there.

That said that was a fair old while ago.

I was just asking, as some cloaking tractor mines outside the spawn points in STFs seems like a bloody good idea, but not if it interupts the Rate of fire, and dumps everything into cooldown.
I'm lookign at a B'rel becuase my Varnaus, well I don't think she'll cut it in elites, and anythingm y Varnaus can do, the Br'rel can as well.
Commander
# 246
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Right, So I've had a play.

Mine cool downs, seem a bit odd. I tried out hte tractor beam mines and a set of Transphasics. When the tractor beam ones went off the Transphasics went on a 12 second cool down (Normal is 20).
I was oddly managing to hurt myself with my own mines, or so it seemed.

But the big news is Monotanium Alloy is now my very bestest friend (Yeah I got too close to some of my own projectiles)!

Some flaws I found in the build.
If you get too close to a Cruiser with a tractor beam it hurts a hell of allot. I suspect I will be using judicious use of Polarize hull plating and Rotate shield polarity, as you need to live until you can fire off your cloak again.

I'm thinking my final build will be something like this:
Front weapons:
Plasma torp (Borg), Hagh'peng, Biro-Nureal warhead and probably a Tricolbolt.
Arrse end weapons:
Tractor mines and a Chroniton Torpedo (So I can run away better!).
Shields + deflector: Honour guard (Torp bonus)
Engines Agies (for the +5 Defence value)

That should give me maximum amounts of amusing DOT which can finish a target off after I've legged it.
Career Officer
# 247
10-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Right, So I've had a play.

Mine cool downs, seem a bit odd. I tried out hte tractor beam mines and a set of Transphasics. When the tractor beam ones went off the Transphasics went on a 12 second cool down (Normal is 20).
I was oddly managing to hurt myself with my own mines, or so it seemed.

But the big news is Monotanium Alloy is now my very bestest friend (Yeah I got too close to some of my own projectiles)!

Some flaws I found in the build.
If you get too close to a Cruiser with a tractor beam it hurts a hell of allot. I suspect I will be using judicious use of Polarize hull plating and Rotate shield polarity, as you need to live until you can fire off your cloak again.

Front weapons:
Arrse end weapons:

That should give me maximum amounts of amusing DOT which can finish a target off after I've legged it.
Getting too close is never a good idea when handling tricobalts and bio-neurals Dispersal pattern beta + tricobalt mine is a very good mix if you drop them close to the enemy, as long as you can get away in time
Captain
# 248
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Front weapons:
Arrse end weapons:

Tricobalt and Bio-Neural Warhead share a cooldown. So, if you fire the Bio-Neural first, the Tricobalt has to wait 30 seconds to fire.

Your Plasma torpedo will also get swatted out of the sky if you use THY.

I've changed my setup recently to:
Quantum Torpedo (for the strong THY buff), Bio-Neural Warhead, Breen Cluster missile (trying to decide what to replace this with...possibly another Quantum?), and Hargh'Peng on my fore.

Chroniton and Plasma torpedoes on my aft.

Consider getting the Rule 62 console. It gives an 11% boost to torpedo and mine damage. Not a ton more, but still 11% more than what you'd have otherwise.
Commander
# 249
10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Tricobalt and Bio-Neural Warhead share a cooldown. So, if you fire the Bio-Neural first, the Tricobalt has to wait 30 seconds to fire.
Actually its less than that. One test build I went with was 2 Tricolbolts nd a Bio. The cool down was (from memory) about 15 seconds.

The problem I had with the breen cluster torp is it just never fired, I can only gues the tractor mines or one of the other torps I had was interfering with it.

My other big issue is I keep getting knocked out of cloak, and have to wait umpteen seconds till I can get into it again.
Lt. Commander
# 250
10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:

The problem I had with the breen cluster torp is it just never fired, I can only gues the tractor mines or one of the other torps I had was interfering with it.
I've been having challenges on the torpedo in the 4th slot (rightmost) not firing when I use fire all torpedoes. Not sure if it's interfering cooldowns, but whichever torp I have in that slot rarely fires.
Closed Thread