Lt. Commander
# 11
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
$5.00 = 400 c points. Your not getting ripped off, if you want 500 c points spend $6.25.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
First, as I suspected above, no where on that picture does it say Cryptic Points. You are buying Zen there, not CPs.

PWE game items and Cryptic game items have two different values. In PWE games 1 Zen equals $0.01. In Cryptic games 1 CP equals $0.0125.

$5.00 in Zen is 500 points. $5.00 in CP is 400 pts. You're not losing anything because you can buy the same amount of things with 500 Zen pts in PWE games as you can for 400 CPs in Cryptic games.

It's just a straight mathematical conversion. You're not getting cheated out of 100 points. You're getting $5.00 worth of goods for $5.00 in both games.
Like I said it was an eye opener. Especially when used to a 1 to 1 ratio. And yes, the two of us live in the same house and started the game at the same time.

So a noob is kinda disappointed at the exchange rate when not used to not having a 1 to 1 ratio is all when the games we are both used to are that way. In other words we buy $3 gets you 5000 cubits and you dont pay any exchange at all.
So is a rude awakening in that sense

Another game you pay a certain amount and get exactly what you pay for.
In either case there is no exchange rate. It was a rude awakening to the fact of 'exchange rates' never had any experience with such a thing either one of us.
Dont expect flaming just stating opions of the inequality of gaming exchange rates when not used to it. Seems a way to take money from the unwary.

I pretty much think the conversation and the stating of a 1 to 1 is over at this point so if there is an OP please close thread.

We have both heard, Washu and La'T'Freya, that a dollar does not go very far is pretty much stating the obvious.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Technically Cryptic's system should be transitioned to PWE's. But that would cause two problems:

1: The STO players would be upset by the change as they are used to the current system - never underestimate how much people hate change.

2: Every item in the C-Store would need to have it's price raised by 25%. 100 CP Keys would cost 125 Zen. 400 CP uniforms would cost 500 Zen. 1,200 CP ships would cost 1,500 Zen, and so on. That would just lead to people saying PWE is trying to cheat it's players by secretly raising it's prices.

Ultimately it's just easier to make the transition at the Zen/CP level then to change the CP system and every price in the Store.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
It's not a 'rude awakening'.

You get exactly the same value of C-points as if you bought them directly from cryptic. The only difference is the number of C-points.

$5 in Zen gets 500 zen which converts to 400 C-points. 80 C-points per dollar.

$6.50 in C-points gets 500 C-points. 80 c-points per dollar.

It's *THE SAME AMOUNT OF C-POINTS PER DOLLAR*. People really need to figure out math and that there is no 'rip-off' at all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Just to summarize what everyone is saying, 100 zen has always equaled $1 and 80 CP has also always equaled $1, they are just allowing you to exchange one currency for another. If you are trying to exchange currency at the airport, are you going to accuse them of stealing because the Euro is only worth $0.75?
No, that's just how a currency exchange works, you're still getting the same amount of money, the denominations are just different. It's easier for Cryptic and PWE to keep the same value and add an exchange then it would be for Cryptic to adjust the price of CP to match Zen.
By the way, CP cost exactly the same as MSPoints on your XBox.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Let me make it so simple that anyone should be able to understand it:

http://startrekonline.com/crypticpointscards

beliving 1 dollar worth of Zen is 1 dollar worth of CP.

And NO... theese prices have not changed in the last 2 years, and theres no diffrence between gift cards and normal C-point purchase, I'd love to provide a screenshot but my C-Point purchase displayes in DKK.

That said: I am so happy I did not switch to PWE account type.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latfreya
So, in other words Perfect World makes out like capitalists, they charge you to buy CP at a loan sharks rates to buy items in game.
At the $5 option this is 10 cents on the dollar.
Kind of like going to the local shark and asking for a loan to gamble to me.
It should be a 1 to 1 ratio.

5 ZEN = 4 C-Points
100 ZEN = 80 C-Points

Again, other games which I will not name here that I play are an even exchange one dollar gets you one dollar in game.
It is just dissapointing to me when other games do an even rate

So if Perfect World owns STO and I have to buy Zen to get CP it sounds like double dipping to me.

Just saying
not all games do an even exchange, not even close...and since it's real cash converted to virtual currency...the even exchange is whatever the games designers/accountants want it to be. you don't have to buy eh?

@OP if you take a close look at that pic (check original post since quote didn't copy it)), left side, under Help & FAQ, at the bottom of that is a little bit of text that says Exchange Rates, pwe doesn't hide anything, they don't trick anyone except those that don't pay attention. even when you go to transfer zen there's a helpful tidbit that pops up once you select the game to transfer zen to that tells you the exchange rate.

shocking isn't it? all that information right there at a click. how could they be any more forthcoming? you not paying attention is not their problem, they have the info laid out for you at all points of the process if you'd open your eyes and look. don't like the exchange rates? quite literally, you don't have to buy, use dilithium to buy c-points.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-01-2012, 02:35 AM
As others have stated there is no loss in the exchange. You get exactly what you paid for, $5 of zen gets you $5 of c-points. Its that simple.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latfreya
So, in other words Perfect World makes out like capitalists, they charge you to buy CP at a loan sharks rates to buy items in game.
At the $5 option this is 10 cents on the dollar.
Kind of like going to the local shark and asking for a loan to gamble to me.
It should be a 1 to 1 ratio.

5 ZEN = 4 C-Points
100 ZEN = 80 C-Points

Again, other games which I will not name here that I play are an even exchange one dollar gets you one dollar in game.
It is just dissapointing to me when other games do an even rate

So if Perfect World owns STO and I have to buy Zen to get CP it sounds like double dipping to me.

Just saying
Hahaha! I have no idea how I missed this post.

You even did the math and you *still* don't get it. You *proved* you were getting *exactly* what you paid for and then accused them of not giving you what you paid for..

Check out the prices for C-points. Guess what? You get 80 of them for a dollar. ($6.25 for 500 C-points = $1 for 80 C-points).
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Hahaha! I have no idea how I missed this post.

You even did the math and you *still* don't get it. You *proved* you were getting *exactly* what you paid for and then accused them of not giving you what you paid for..

Check out the prices for C-points. Guess what? You get 80 of them for a dollar. ($6.25 for 500 C-points = $1 for 80 C-points).
Scary isn't it?
Unwilling to admit being wrong while at the same time stating the facts that prove there is no ripoff.

It's also strange that latfreya and washupaws use the same sentence construction with only a few words changed in "their" threads.
This smells strange...