Lt. Commander
# 41
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Adding to this, I agree that we need more categories, but frankly the current categories don't even work now.

"New" doesn't seem to actually list new missions. Apparently what constitutes "new" is too broad (like everything made in the last year is new). I think the criteria for "new" should be the number of plays, not creation date. New should only list missions with less than X number of plays (I'd say 500 or 1000 max, which would remove all of the top rated missions).

Right now "Hot" is also irrelevant because the top rated missions get the most plays, and thus also make the "Hot" list.

I say make the change to "new" so that it only displays missions with less than 1000 ratings, and then make it so that the category shown by default is randomly determined (33% top rated, 33% new, 33% hot). Since Top Rated and New will be shown equally, Hot should end up being a mix of the two.

Alternatively, "new" could be the default category shown, giving missions more publicity when they are newer. I think most authors would be happy if their missions received 1000 plays, and after that someone else should get more prominent display.

Maybe a new category could be added which had "classics" (those missions with more than 1000 or 2000 plays).
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the "new" list is clogged with old missions because the devs are constantly republishing everything when updates hit. The system then thinks that those missions are new.

Perhaps an easy fix? The criteria for new is original publish date, not republish. If I'm right, the current system is also exploitable. I could republish my 2 year old mission once a week and see it remain new forever.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the "new" list is clogged with old missions because the devs are constantly republishing everything when updates hit. The system then thinks that those missions are new.

Perhaps an easy fix? The criteria for new is original publish date, not republish. If I'm right, the current system is also exploitable. I could republish my 2 year old mission once a week and see it remain new forever.
You may be right, but does the system even track the initial publish date? I think they should just switch it to be by plays and then that solves the problem in itself.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
You may be right, but does the system even track the initial publish date? I think they should just switch it to be by plays and then that solves the problem in itself.
Yeah, that probably works just as well. I'd say max 1000 is too much though. My highest played mission is very old and it has like 1200 plays. I've never been able to get very high on the best rated list to compete with the top 20ish.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Yeah, that probably works just as well. I'd say max 1000 is too much though. My highest played mission is very old and it has like 1200 plays. I've never been able to get very high on the best rated list to compete with the top 20ish.
Well, I'll defer to your judgment on that. I don't have a lot of experience with how many plays the average mission gets. My only thinking was that if the missions were on the list only until they got a certain number of plays and the New mission tab was prominently displayed then anything that was on top there would eventually "graduate out" and leave more room for other stuff to move up.

Actually come to think of it, it would be nice if the Foundry had a couple of different columns showing at once. Maybe both the Top Rated and New columns could be fit on one UI page, along with a "featured missions of the hour" in another tab.

I guess we'll just have to see what Cryptic comes up with.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Join us live at www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms on Sunday 2pm PST, 5pm EST, 10 PM UTC or 9am Monday AEDT as BroadcastUGC plays through this mission with the other.

Or if you unable to... Catch the events unfold on youtube just search for BroadcastUGC or on the livestream replay.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Podcast UGC reviewed this mission.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/pod...gc-episode-54/
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey Kirkfat and team Podcast UGC - thanks for the kind words on my mission - I take it Nemmie wants me to add shake to all my maps?

I wanted to clear up one thing though, you mentioned I did the cut scenes for Cryptic when actually I run the trailer department for Perfect World Entertainment now so I oversee as well as make the trailers you see (such as the F2P STO trailer , 2800 teaser, and the opening pre-rendered video when you make a new character in STO). The in game cutscenes are made by the content person who is making the actual mission - so I wanted to make sure credit given where credit is due, as Iknow they work hard on the cutscenes.

Thanks again for the coverage and I will see you guys during the live play through the mission this Sunday.

Lt. Commander
# 48
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
The entire foundry community is coming together to advertise this mission through podcasts, broadcasts, etc.

You're at 80ish plays. And you probably have a better idea than I do of the game's population.

Imagine how many plays it would have if you weren't a dev. That has to be so frustrating for new authors, even those who can make a trailer, post at sbugc, get on the podcasts, write up a wiki page, and post all over the forums.

The "new" filter is a really big bug. Please communicate this h2orat. At this point there are hundreds of good missions that aren't getting any plays, and we can't get a dev to post in the foundry bug forums.

You'd have hundreds of plays if the listings weren't borked, even without community promotion. Our promotional power as a community doesn't seem too effective these days.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Kirkfat - I am definatly making notes on the search issues for the Foundry. Thanks for being vocal.

-Mark
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I'll be giving my general impressions on Bitesize UGC, but I wanted to share my notes while playing through the mission. I hope that it is constructive feedback. My notes mostly relate to technical things, typos, etc. They are meant to assist polishing a published mission

edit: notes sent by pm, instead.